TomTom Start freezes at startup

Hi everyone,

I just registered because I looked on the net for an answer to my problem but haven't find a solution yet. It suddenly stopped working after I borrowed it to a friend.

The thing is that my TomTom Start freezes when I start the device. I only see the TomTom logo (with the two hands) and it stays like that until the battery drains.

I looked on the FAQ/Support section of the TomTom site but none of the solutions worked (or I haven't read them all). I tried:

- Formatting the TomTom Start (FAT32)
- Deleting, reinstalling and updating the software
- Flashing the device with the flash tool
- Resetting the device by pressing the reset button

Could any of you kind people please help me? I have no idea what to do know to make it work again.

Thank in advance,

Ali :)

Yes I did but now I can't find those files. Is that a problem? Because I am able to install and update the TomTom Start.

If you formatted the unit, that wipes out anything that was there, including the required map folder.

If you don't know where your backup is, then yeah, I'd call that a problem.

What did you use to backup the unit? TomTom Home or Explorer?

If the former, go to Home's Tools-->Home Preferences-->Folders and look in the Backup row for where the backup probably resides.

If you formatted the unit, that wipes out anything that was there, including the required map folder.

If you don't know where your backup is, then yeah, I'd call that a problem.

What did you use to backup the unit? TomTom Home or Explorer?

If the former, go to Home's Tools-->Home Preferences-->Folders and look in the Backup row for where the backup probably resides.

So what could be the worst-case scenario? I used to backup the unit with Windows Explorer but I can't find the folder, must have been deleted.

Are there any solutions for me?

Oke but shouldnt I be albe to browse the menu without having the maps?

And if I buy the maps now, where do I put them and is this solution "bulletproof"?

I think your unit will boot up to a 'no maps found' screen and you will not be able to proceed further.

If you buy the map, you install it on the unit.

TomTom Start-Freezes on Startup

Hi Peeps

I have encountered a similar problem and I did a backup of a friends exact TomTom Start.
Is it possible to use her backup to backup mine as I only backed up hers?

Also,I noticed the backup done by HOME saved it as a text file??lol
I'm using Windows Vista Basic 32Bit.

However,I have read these threads which are intuitive and will try again:) and again:) till I rectify it.

Tx for a lovely Forum.

Hi Aadil. If the two units are the same model then you should be able to use the backup you made from the other one.

EXCEPT for the maps.... There is a particular "key" file in the map folder which locks your friend's map to her unit.

what exactly is the situation with yours?
Do you still have the files and folders on it? In other words do you think your map may still be intact on it.

Hopefully you haven't formatted the whole thing!

Ask a Question