Accessibility for blind

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom app v1.11
Hi,

I have the TomTom app v1.11 on my iPhone and my boyfriend is blind. We were wondering, is there a feature that would allow us to record a route as we're walking it, and then store it to use again in the future?

Thanks!

Not an actual ROUTE as such, no TomTom stores a complete route, it only works out a route "on the fly" between two or more points you give it.

I don't know the Navigator software at all, does it have the "Itinerary Planning" feeature?

That's available on a lot of the older TomTom hardware models and allows you to put in upto 48 "waypoints" and ask it to create a route that uses them all.
Those waypoints can be Favourites or POIs etc. so you could definitely walk the route adding Favourites as you go, and then sit down and add all those into the Itinerary planner. Once that's done, you can also save the itinerary files for later use.

You should definitely try a few dummy runs though, the TomToms are primarily intended for driving use. I've managed to use them while walking a bit but they haven't been terribly accurate.

Not an actual ROUTE as such, no TomTom stores a complete route, it only works out a route "on the fly" between two or more points you give it.

I don't know the Navigator software at all, does it have the "Itinerary Planning" feeature?

That's available on a lot of the older TomTom hardware models and allows you to put in upto 48 "waypoints" and ask it to create a route that uses them all.
Those waypoints can be Favourites or POIs etc. so you could definitely walk the route adding Favourites as you go, and then sit down and add all those into the Itinerary planner. Once that's done, you can also save the itinerary files for later use.

You should definitely try a few dummy runs though, the TomToms are primarily intended for driving use. I've managed to use them while walking a bit but they haven't been terribly accurate.
I'm not familiar with everything that TomTom sells, but I am under the impression that all of their products are intended only for on-road use. As a consequence, the software is intended to "snap" to the road location nearest to the position reported by the GPS receiver, up to a certain "error".

Beyond that difference, I think that it just reports an approximate location. I know that when I attempt to save a location in the parking lot of a very large mall, my device just says "Sorry, Charlie".

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question