A new XL owner who thinks he should go back to the GO

Well after many years of faithful service, I decided to replace my original GO with a shiny new XL v2. So now my technophobic father has my GO sitting on his dash and I've got the XL and a few complaints.... :mad:

After an initial play today its noticeably quieter and the menus have been stripped back to what must be the 'Fisher Price' version.... I can't even get it to avoid motorways ffs!

I'm sure after a productive half an hour scouring the forum I'll come up with some answers, but if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

As you have moved from a Go device to the somewhat dumbed down XL_2 you will find plenty of things missing over and above the avoid certain road types, to be honest if its a new purchase and you expected to find the same feature set as per your older unit all I can suggest is you return it to the retailer as "unfit for the intended purpose" and put the money towards a more capable device (the XL IQ is very very good unit, the XL_2_IQ is a waste of time) - Mike

Thanks Mike, the more I play with it, the more I'm inclined to agree. I think taking it back to Halfords is the way to go, but what do I get instead that will give me the functionallity of my Go model? I'm finding the vast array of offerings from ToMTom to be quite confusing...... when I bought my origianl unit, it was pretty much the only one available.

Guys, don't take this as "back pedaling" but the XL_2 has a place in the market for users who don't want or need the full capability offered by the models higher up in the product range, not everyone needs a nav unit to perform Itinerary planning or manage custom POI files, I am sure some users will be quite happy with what this model offers.

However to move from a Go device which had functionality that is now missing from the XL_2 a user will undoubtably find this device a backward step, as for other units to consider that are fully featured look at the Go-550 Live or shop at TomTom to get a Go-730 refurbished device which is even an even better product IMHO for a bargain price (while they last) see Here - Mike

Thanks Mike,

After a bit more reading and research, I'd already decided that the 550 was probably the way forward, but that link to the 730 is certainly tempting (at this point you might be wondering why I bought the bloody thing in the first place. Well that's my fault for accepting the reccommendation from a national UK computing mag without doing some research up front).

I'll pack mine back up and go back to Halfrauds tomorrow... wish me luck :-(

Ask a Question