A Little Late

Sorry if this (and perhaps the fix) were already covered, but, for GO 720 owners; have you noticed that the map display often lags (especially on highways) about 2 seconds beyond where you really are? This can be critical when trying to figure out "where am I turning off" as some of the exits are only a few hundred feet apart. Still not overly impressed, especially for the $$ spent.

Hi. I own a 920 but previously had a 720. See if turning off some POI that show up on the map help with this lag? I can't recall a problematic lag on my 720, but I no longer have the unit to test it.

Fair nuff, I'll kill all of the POI displays.
Wifey's facrory-installed Alpine in her Honda has us spoiled.

This can be critical when trying to figure out "where am I turning off"
Use the TTS and activate the option to announce the exit number, or look at the arrow with the count down distance - don't look at map, you surely will miss the exit. Mind you TT are fast, you won't find GPS that are faster to help you in theses cases, you simply cannot navigate staring at the map screen.

LEC,
I've used several diff gps's and know how to use them, the voice announce is on, all of the turn/voice/overview map info should jibe and not be disjoined.

No lag on my 720. Just got home after 1100 miles up and down the East coast. Might be idiosyncratic.

No noticeable lag of that sort here, either. Then again, I don't read the signs and make my exit/turn decisions 2 seconds ahead of time, so it wouldn't have a major impact. With spoken street names enabled (I've yet to find a bad exit number provided by my buddy "Susan"), there's never been any question about where I'm going to get off.

The only "lag" I experience is when I've decided I don't like the TT's routing, and take an alternate of my own without advising the TT. It takes the TT a few seconds to realize that yes, I'm questioning its wisdom, and yes, I've really gone off on my own merry way. I think the TT at first wonders if there was some bad GPS data for a few seconds, then decides that no, it's me being an independent cuss.

Did a bit more experimentation with the POIs off and in both 2d and 3d. Seems like the unit may not be processing the info and redisplaying it fast enough. Let me start off by saying, I'm a pretty slow driver by most standards, that being said, even with doing the above on a highway I notice that the display is just showing the beginning of the exit ramp as I have already gone by most of it. In unfamiliar territory where you might have 2 or 3 exits within a few hundred feet of each other this could be a problem. I WAS thinking that the unit just didn't quite know where it was, but, if I creep up to a landmark, intersection, etc at a very slow speed it has it +/-50 feet which is fine and at the slow speed it can recompute and render the updated image.

Sorry if this (and perhaps the fix) were already covered, but, for GO 720 owners; have you noticed that the map display often lags (especially on highways) about 2 seconds beyond where you really are? This can be critical when trying to figure out "where am I turning off" as some of the exits are only a few hundred feet apart. Still not overly impressed, especially for the $$ spent.

I know exactly what you are referring to as I'm very particular with this issue. Its basically like this with every gps unit I've used (nuvi 350, navigon 7100, magellan 4250). When you're traveling at fast speeds the unit needs a second to process all the information and get your current position back to the unit as quickly as it can unfortunately resulting in a bit of a lag with your immediate position. With my nuvi I'd literally miss turns on close exits because of this, but I've noticed my GO 720 is a bit better with it.

I've seen a bit of this but not to the extent where I was not sure if I was supposed to get off at a particular exit. I did notice it got somewhat better when I killed a bunch of the POIs (that I was not using anyhow).

Thanx guys, for awhile I was thinking I was nuts.
I guess trading it in for another brand/model won't help then.
I guess the built-in in the Honda has a faster processor.
Seems like by now the intelligence would be built in to accommodate the
lag when the unit knows what kinda speed it is at.
TT, are you listening? Differentiate yourself.
Also, get the Google map integration working and start sending my
unit info from other users, what are you waiting for?

Well, I couldn't stand the bizzare routing, not receiving corrections, screwed up maps, lagging in where my position was shown, the wierd & delayed zooming into a turn area and back out, and the vaporware as-to being able to send a google-map route I set up to the 720. It's in the box on the way back to the merchant. I was on a straight path pointed to my daughter's school and it tried to take me hugely outta the way thinking it was "faster". Looking for a GPS that actually works, don't care who makes it. I would like the ability to select a routing method that goes something like BEST ROUTE, usually an incorporation of better roads but not necessarily highways.

Ask a Question