Little gray circles

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335 S, Via 1535TM
What are those little gray circles (they are gray in the default color of the daylight map). I see every now and then, on the map. The diameter of the circle is about 1/2 a mm. You need to be zoomed in at least about 3/4 of the way, before you'll see them. There is never any text next to them. This is really puzzling me.

I don't see them unless I've had a week short on sleep.

Seriously - what model do you have again? Have not seen that on my GO series units. Can you provide an approximate location where you've seen them? I've scrolled around your town with "Browse map" and don't see anything like that.

XL 335S

They are all over Manhatten, although these are dark gray. There is one right inside Union Square, and several along W and E 14th St. Such as 199 E 14th St, near the corner of 3rd Ave. If you can manage to tap directly on the Union Square circle, it says "Union Square Station." It is nearly impossible to tap this accurately. But tapping on the other ones just returns street addresses. I suppose they may be subway stations, but there is no indication that they are. This is with all POI's are turned off. If I turn on POI's for railroad stations, some of the dark gray dots seem to be right near where the POI flags are, however there are also POI flags for subway stations where there are no dark gray dots. For example at 8th ave and 23 st there is a station, but no dot. Oddly, if I turn on POI's for bus stations - I don't see any bus stations in Manhattan. And I know there are bus stations in Manhattan.

In Brentwood NY, near the Brentwood Public Library, there is one at about 15 1st Ave, Light gray, almost white. Actually, if I zoom in on this, it appears as a West-pointing triangle. Maybe it means a 1-way street. Tapping on it just says 14, 15 1st Ave. To the East of that, if you go the199 8th St, and look slightly to the North West, just a hair South of the railroad tracks, there is a medium gray circle, with a black outline around it. Tapping on dirctly on it (it isn't easy to do that), it says "Brentwood Station."

There is a medium gray circle with black line around it, one on each side of the railroad track, near where the Ronkonkoma RR station should be. 2 circles, but of course there is only one station.

This is will all POI's turned off.

Last edited:
This may assist us.......

How to provide a screen capture:
1. Use Explorer to create a folder called screen and place in the root of the unit
2. Within the screen folder create a text file using Notepad called capture (NO extension whatsoever) with nothing in the text file.
3. When you have a screen you wish to capture, tap the top left of your screen. You will hear the sound of a camera shutter.
4. Connect your unit to the computer and use Explorer to navigate to the screen folder.
5. Within the screen folder you will see file(s) with random numbers in the name. These are .bmp files.
6. Upload the required file to a photo sharing site such as image shack or photobucket and paste the generated tag for the image in a post in this forum.

A picture is worth 1000 words!! :D

In Brentwood NY, near the Brentwood Public Library, there is one at about 15 1st Ave, Light gray, almost white. Actually, if I zoom in on this, it appears as a West-pointing triangle. Maybe it means a 1-way street. Tapping on it just says 14, 15 1st Ave. To the East of that, if you go the199 8th St, and look slightly to the North West, just a hair South of the railroad tracks, there is a medium gray circle, with a black outline around it. Tapping on dirctly on it (it isn't easy to do that), it says "Brentwood Station."
OK - FWIW - the triangles indicate one way streets. They are very small, and light gray.

As for your specific address, there is such a triangle at the 14/15 1st address you specify. As for 8th, mine shows up at 132 8th, but same deal. One way indicator.

I'm guessing your zoom level or eyeball capabilities had you thinking these were dots but now you've recognized them as arrows.

OK, here is an image showing the gray dot. You can see it right near the center of the image, at the end of the word Lake Shore Rd. You can Find it on your own TT, exactly at the corner of Lake Shore Rd and Portion Rd in Ronkonkoma NY. You may have to fiddle with the zoom control, before you can see the dot. Some of the other gray dots were at railroad stations. There is no railroad station at this dot.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TTmap.gray_dot_closeup.jpg
    TTmap.gray_dot_closeup.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Hmmm. It does appear to be at the center of the image if you Find the City Center for Lake Ronkonkoma NY (which is different than the city center for Ronkonkoma, even though the same two 5-digit zip codes are used for addresses in both Ronkonkoma and Lake Ronkonkoma). However there is not a gray dot for every City Center that you do a Find for.

Last edited:
I've seen these small dots before, I think the pluses are hospitals, and the grey may have been city halls or schools.

I never took the time to research the details, but you're not the only one seeing them.

Ask a Question