I can't remove the little black sticking disc that is stuck on my windshield!

So, I guess I kind of had this one coming to me, but I stuck the little black circular disc that is used for a TomTom One to stick to on my windshield. I have since realized that the GPS sticks to my windshield just fine by itself, and would rather not have my view obstructed when I'm not using my GPS by the little black disc.

My only problem is, that damn thing is rock-solid stuck! I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how I might be able to remove this. Thanks a ton!

Try this:

Get a home hair dryer and run it close to the disk to soften the adhesive. Also, get some (strong) dental floss and wrap around the disk to try to cut through the glue.

Alternate hair dryer and floss till you can loosen it enough to take it off.

Then get a bottle of goo-off (or equivalent) at the hardware store and spray it on the residue till that is removed.

That should do it. Don't feel too bad. I know a guy who laid the disc in the front seat of his car with the protective back peeled off and the adhesive edge up. He went to get some wax remover to take clean the dash and while he was gone his wife put her pocket book in the car to go somewhere. Yep right on the disc (which is really meant to go on the dash). When he pulled it off it took the finish off her purse too. Purse cost him more than his tomtom:eek:

Try this:

Get a home hair dryer and run it close to the disk to soften the adhesive. Also, get some (strong) dental floss and wrap around the disk to try to cut through the glue.

Alternate hair dryer and floss till you can loosen it enough to take it off.

Then get a bottle of goo-off (or equivalent) at the hardware store and spray it on the residue till that is removed.

WD-40 works excellent at removing glue etc. etc

You know what they say if it moves and it shouldn?t use duct tape
And it doesn?t move and it should use WD-40 .:D

You got the adhesive disc on your WINDSHIELD???
You must be kidding, right?
Why on earth you stick it up there?
I got mine on the dashboard, not windshield, bro.

I wouldn't give him too much grief. I wasn't sure what to do with the black disc either, when I opened up my unit. I'll admit, sticking it to the window crossed my mind.

You did install it right side up, right? :D

You got the adhesive disc on your WINDSHIELD???
You must be kidding, right?
Why on earth you stick it up there?
I got mine on the dashboard, not windshield, bro.
Well, just to be fair... here's the description of the disk direct from the TT manual.

"6: Adhesive disk for windscreen mount"

-Frank :D

I recommend "Goo Gone" cleaner, which is a solvent that's worked great for me in the past with similar situations. It's sold at hardware stores, near all the other typical cleaning chemicals that are usually all in one place at the store. Goo Gone is in a drip bottle, not a spray bottle, so it's easy to target the areas near the edge of the disc. Work your way slowly to the center of the disc, after attacking the edges first, to avoid ripping up your surface by trying to yank the disc up too fast.

I put the black disc on my car dashboard. It seems to work great. The TomTom instructions, on how to install the mounting hardware, were hieroglyphs! It took me many tries to figure it out. As frankxs said, the instructions are often misleading and downright wrong.

I use the suction cup mounting bracket to stick to the black disc, which as been glued to my dashboard. This is much better than using the suction cup to stick directly to the windshield. The weight of the TomTom unit itself will pull it down. It is rather distracting, thus dangerous, to have the TomTom fall off while you are driving!

By using the disc on the dashboard, and sticking the suction cup to that, I'm using the suction to point down instead of up. This means that gravity helps my TomTom stick better, instead of working against gravity by trying to pull it down off the windshield.

That said, I would love a professional mounting kit for the TomTom, if something like that would ever be released! Car stereo installers could use it to mount the TomTom in such a way that all the wires would go underneath the dashboard, and the mount would be rock solid, real nuts and bolts, no suction or glue. Does such a thing already exist?

Oily Nail Polish Remover will remove super glue.:)

Nail polish remover is the only thing I've ever used to remove super glue :) It's the only thing I've seen/used that works, besides the bottle of super glue remover that sometimes is included with a bottle of super glue. Even that doesn't work all that great. Nail Polish remover FTW!

Well, just to be fair... here's the description of the disk direct from the TT manual.

"6: Adhesive disk for windscreen mount"

-Frank :D

AhAHAHahhahahahahaha :p Good job TomTom!

Ask a Question