920 Still Waiting.....

Well boys and girls it seems like forever...
I called TomTom last week and spoke with a Customer service rep. I asked if there was any new information regarding a 920 release date. I paced the floor as I awaited the response. I was told what we all already know that it is due out in the 4th quarter, and that they like to make the announcements a couple of months in advance to create a buzz about the product....WELL I'M BUZZIN'. You see my friends, I sold my Tom Tom 910 6 weeks ago in anticipation of the 920, and since the 910 has been out of my possession, and I have been Tomless, I have needed that little sucker on several occasions. I realize that we are only three weeks into the 4th quarter, but I am addicted and want the dog gone thing now. Although I know my story is dismal, I don't want any tears shed on my behalf, for alas I know that 6 months from now, my new beauty will sit on my desk, unappreciated, collecting dust waiting for me to take it for a ride in the car. And sure, I will talk to it in the car, and it will talk back. We will exchange pleasantries, but when it gets me safely to my destination, before the beautifully lit back screen goes black, will I say "thank you"? Probably not. It is a vicious cycle people.... but for now my beloved TomTom, I miss you, and I want you back!

Okay, okay I admit that I am sleep deprived at the moment.
No new news, but no bad news either (like a Dec. 31st release)
I will check back in, if I discover any new details to share.

Last edited:
You won't get any tears. I can't believe you would sell your TomTom when you have nothing to replace it with.

Only makes sense

I can't believe you can't believe it...LOL. Hard to get any money out of a top of the line model, once a new model comes out to replace it. It was a good move. Just wish the 920 would release.

Tomless

Why didn't you wait until the new model was released? I think you can definitely admit that giving up your trusty 910 wasn't a wise dicision. Hope you enjoy the 920 when you get it!

920 Voice recognition

Absolutely, it works as advertised. Remember this isn't robust voice recognition so you can't use it for all functions. Voice entry works best when you use the spoken address dialogue icon and is useful when creating favorites. I also use it in the quick menu to navigate to a spoken address. It catches about 95% of what you say. Occasionally you have to go back, but not enough to be a huge pain. I just hope the buggy software issues have been resolved. I returned a 720 after having a backup restore go badly enough to cause it not to boot. I noticed that the 920 is using Home 2.1 and an upgraded firmware package. I won't tell you where I got it because I don't want to get a retailer in trouble, and it will be in stores by tomorrow anyway. After my 720 screwup I thought long and hard about staying with TomTom. In the end I chose to give the 920 a try because I liked the feature set so much better than the Garmins. Listen up TomTom, you need to get better with your software.
John

No regrets

Why didn't you wait until the new model was released? I think you can definitely admit that giving up your trusty 910 wasn't a wise dicision. Hope you enjoy the 920 when you get it!

I never would have gotten $400. for a 910 after the 920 is released, so I don't feel like it was a mistake, but I definitely have had occasions where I really could have used it, and missed having it. I called Amazon and asked them about the pricing of the 920 ($699.00), and the 920T ($599.00). I told them that they had their pricing backwards, and that the 920T was the more expensive model. I was told by Phone Rep. (Jess), that there was no mistake, and the 920T was $599.00, I again told her that she was incorrect, and then I bought a 920T from her for $599.00. I checked back with Amazon, and they have since corrected their pricing error for the 2 units. I called them again, and told them I had ordered a $920T for $599.00, and they have since corrected the pricing and made the 920 $599.00, and the 920T $699.00., and wanted to make sure that the would be sending the 920T, and not trying to pass off the cheaper model, because if they were going to do that I would cancel my order and purchase it from Best Buy, to have it sooner. She assured me that I would be getting the 920T. However if you have ever dealt with Amazon dot com, you know that they really have no idea what you, or they are talking about. Anyway the estimated ship date from Amazon is Nov. 9th-23rd. I have seen nothing about a 920 release for today, or any other day for that matter. Should be soon though the 9th is only a little over a week away. Will let you know if I learn more.

I was at Best Buy this morning looking for TomTom accessories and they have the 920 on their shelves. $699.00 is the price. I'm on my 3rd day with the 920 and liking it more each day. Good luck with Amazon and the better pricing.
JR

This doesn't work on the 920, at least I can't get it to work. I also noticed I couldn't get the enable_lineout_bluetooth file to work either. Maybe they've changed something in the 7.20 firmware.
JR

my 710 always thought it was a 910

I wonder if my 720 will also get delusions of grandeur. Methinks, it already does as Western Europe and America and Canada are not big enough, so it takes on Eastern Europe. It gets a buzz out of experimenting.

Where is Zibri when you need him?

This doesn't work on the 920, at least I can't get it to work. I also noticed I couldn't get the enable_lineout_bluetooth file to work either. Maybe they've changed something in the 7.20 firmware.
JR

Really? That's to bad.

Just to make sure, the capture file has no extension? i.e. .txt

Where did Zibri disappear to? IF TomTom had any sense they would hire him. Part of the techno fun of these things is figuring out how to give them added capabilities.
JR

Great that you are enjoying your new 920. I bought the 910 when they first came out and everyone who did so knows the problems we had. I hope TT did a better job of testing the 920. Let us know if you find any more quirks as your use it daily.

Ask a Question