920 hangs when searching for POIs

My most recent experience

Here is what seems to be fairly consistent for me. Turns out deleting POIs, etc. is not consistent. The problem will get resolved and then re-appear if I add a POI or category from the tomtom.

I can get POIs to work if I go into HOME and Operate My Go. From there I can browse POIs just fine. I disconnect and WALA! now I can see my POIs. BUT, bad news is, I can't browse Streets. So, I go back into HOME, Operate My Go, navigate to some streets. Works great. Disonnect. Now I can see streets. BUT, I can't see POIs anymore. It's like an either or kind of thing. Strangely, sometimes the POIs just start working again. Of course, every time I Operate My GO, my settings get all screwed up. Truly, the tomtom is a very buggy tool. I really like it but dislike how much time I have to spend getting it to do some pretty basic stuff.

I tried input of longitude and latitude as a workaround, but cannot figure that out - one of my latitudes is a negative number, and the unit will not let me input a negative number. I cannot find any help at all on THIS issue online at TT CS.

Latitude and longitude are frequently represented as being either positive or negative, but are actually North (positive latitude) or South (negative latitude), or East (positive longitude) or West (negative longitude).

When entering coordinates, use single-letter abbreviations (N, S, E or W) as a prefix and you should be fine.

@Michael Quinlan: thanks so much for the explanation on longitude and latitudes, I appreciate the help.

Update to the "one moment please..." hanging issue:

So far, TT Cust Service has not offered me anything that helped.

I downgraded to 7.221, and took it out for a spin, and it seems to have resolved the issue completely. I am leaving Saturday for a long trip, will be gone for a week, so that should be enough time to give it a thorough workout. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks all!

All, try downgrading to firmware version 7.221. Download it from here:
http://www.oldboy.me.uk/TomTomUpdates/

...and then decompress it to the ASR directory. Overwrite the files that are there. DO NOT delete the ASR directory before installing; not everything will be overwritten, and some of those files are very important.

I haven't needed to delete a POI so I can't confirm whether that works in 7.221, but I have not had the "One moment please" hang since I installed that version, and I've been able to make backups regularly. (Haven't tried a restore but it does seem to think hard about the backup so I assume it's copying everything)

I should add 7.221 is not bug-free either, but the only bug I've really seen is that if you plug in your USB cable before powering on the hardware, Windows won't recognize it until you unplug it and plug it in again. Maybe that's a big deal for some people, but I can live with that one. 7.221 is an oldie but a goodie. :)

I just got off the phone with TT support to get the latest map guaranty fulfilled. While we were on the phone I asked about this problem and the support guy told me to go to http://www.tomtom.com/6221 and to download and run the TomTom Clear Flash Tool 3 times. He said that would fix the problems with the POIs, the cities and would fix the problem with "Operate My Go" changing the settings on my TomTom.

I am still updating my maps so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll report back when I've tried it.

I just got off the phone with TT support to get the latest map guaranty fulfilled. While we were on the phone I asked about this problem and the support guy told me to go to http://www.tomtom.com/6221 and to download and run the TomTom Clear Flash Tool 3 times. He said that would fix the problems with the POIs, the cities and would fix the problem with "Operate My Go" changing the settings on my TomTom.

I am still updating my maps so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll report back when I've tried it.

don't waste your time. doesn't work. TT Support is terrible, terrible, terrible.

Ask a Question