910 refurb quality

I am a new gps owner. I have purchased 2 910's, one new, and one refurbished. The new unit was the first one i purchased, and that was abouta week ago. The new owner experience was great. I have nothing bad to say about it.

I then ordered a refurbished 910 over the weekend, which arrived today. I am moving across the country later this year, and wanted navigation for both vehicles, and for simplicity, i wanted the same model for each vehicle. Anyways, the refurbed unit wasnt as nice of an experience. The Box was teh same as the retail unit, with the exception of 2 stickers. The gps itself had a stronger protective tape on the lcd. It was pretty hard to pull off. The extras looked like they were left in the box from the original owner. Most refurbs ship with new cords, however these were clearly used. None of them were in the bags. The registration card was not stuck in he cardboard like the retail unit. instead it was thrown in with the extras. There was one extra though that wasnt in my retail unit, an lcd cloth.

Overall, I like the hardware, and was impressed with the retail box experience, however i was turned off by the refurb experience. It made me wonder about how good of a job they do on the refurb process. Is it truly inspected? It didnt appear to be in my eyes.

hmm...I don't have any experience with buying any product from them. I have bought refurbished products before but its one of those things where I have to see it myself before I purchase it.

Maybe someone else can share their experience.

Last edited:
i guess the caveat is that it is refurb. you never know what you're going to get. I suppose as long as it works, and the GPS is relatively blemish free, you can be happy. I've ordered refurb stuff and it's usually anywhere from unopened overstock, to opened/used/returned merchandise. It's really a crapshoot.

Hello and welcome.
I've never purchased anything refurbished.
I would be glad as long as everything was there, no cracks/dents and everything work properly.

I got my TT910 Refurbed from amazon (I think) this past X-mas. Both my father and I picked one up.

I haven't had any problems w/ the unit...packing was pretty nice, although I could tell the unit was refurbbed b/c the original batteries were left in the remote, but the box came w/ additional batteries.

My dad's experience was a little different, chords and cables were not packaged in bags, but all parts were there and his unit is still working fine.

...as long as it comes w/ a reasonable manufacturer warranty I don't have an issue w/ refurbished for most products.

I am a new gps owner. I have purchased 2 910's, one new, and one refurbished. The new unit was the first one i purchased, and that was abouta week ago. The new owner experience was great. I have nothing bad to say about it.

I then ordered a refurbished 910 over the weekend, which arrived today. I am moving across the country later this year, and wanted navigation for both vehicles, and for simplicity, i wanted the same model for each vehicle. Anyways, the refurbed unit wasnt as nice of an experience. The Box was teh same as the retail unit, with the exception of 2 stickers. The gps itself had a stronger protective tape on the lcd. It was pretty hard to pull off. The extras looked like they were left in the box from the original owner. Most refurbs ship with new cords, however these were clearly used. None of them were in the bags. The registration card was not stuck in he cardboard like the retail unit. instead it was thrown in with the extras. There was one extra though that wasnt in my retail unit, an lcd cloth.

Overall, I like the hardware, and was impressed with the retail box experience, however i was turned off by the refurb experience. It made me wonder about how good of a job they do on the refurb process. Is it truly inspected? It didnt appear to be in my eyes.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's food for thought next time I'm tempted to by a refurb.

I have always had better experience with refurbs. All of my past refurb experiences have been like buying a new device, except for the packaging and in some cases warranty. Openbox items are a different story. Open boxes usually arrive like my refurb arrived. The consumer can usually tell that it was previously used. The item is never sent back to the manufacturer, instead the reseller sells the item at a lower price.

I bought my GO 510 refurbished from a company selling on eBay. They're in NY (not the city), and were a pleasure to do business with. They went out of their way to help me out with special shipping arrangements, and when I got the item, it looked as if it were a brand new device, as did all the accessories. The only thing I noticed was that the LCD protector was a pain to remove (and even left some residue on the screen that took me 15 minutes to remove without scratching). All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. As with anything, it's usually about who you're doing business with.

Refurbed on e-bay

I also bought my 510 (actually it is a 710) from ebestdeal4u on e-bay. They have 99.7% positive on 250,000 transactions. Paid $305 including shipping.

I have 140 feedback on e-bay and have only had a couple of bad experiences. You need to look at someone's feedback score and e-mail them if you have questions.

As I said in my prior post, it looked new.

I'm sorry that digital-flex did not like my posting positive comments about a refurbed unit (his post seemed more than a little sarcastic). If I interpreted his post wrong, I'm sorry. If I interpreted his post correctly, he owes me an apology.

Howie

Haven't visited for a couple of weeks and find that I have been promoted from Newbie to Novice. What's the next grade one can aspire to? Anyway, thank you!

When do I get my chevron or silver bar?

As for purchasing refurbs: I had bid on an item at E-bay only to find out - after submitting the bid - that it was a "used" item, a fact not revealed in the product caption. Fearing a beheading if I backed out, I lit candles wishing I would be outbid so as not to get saddled with a cast-off.

The good news: Yesterday somebody else won and I am cured. Will stick with Amazon and pay full fare for a new DVD camcorder...

I buy a refurbish Tomtom 510/710 off MacMall. (come w/ one year warranty from TomTom)
I took it apart, disect it, reprogramming it, flash firmware back and forth.
It works perfectly.

ONLY thing I am concern w/ GPS is the touch screen film. (check if there is any scratch, if not, then there is nothing to worry about. )
We are not in the era using vacum tube as resistor. Micro processor/ PBC board are very well-made nowadays.

If for 910, I might be bit nervous over the HD. Other than that, refurbish item are mostly perfect working "customer return" item.
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:

Ask a Question