740 "Active Dock"

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
Am considering an 'upgrade' to a 740, but require an audio out line. To accomplish this, I'll need a gray market "Active Dock" to go with it since TomTom - in their product development wisdom - neglected to provide any direct means for an audio connection.

That said, it's not clear that one of the two "Active Dock" options actually has an audio out connection.

The "fixed" installation model ( Active Dock for fixed installation - Accessories - TomTom ) clearly specifies that it includes this.

The other model ( Active Dock Mount Kit - Accessories - TomTom ) does not specify the availability of the audio out connection.

I'm REALLY not wanting to use the fixed model. Can anyone who has one of the latter (non-fixed mount) models confirm whether or not it includes the (I assume 1/8" or 3.5mm) audio out connection ?

Think supermod Mike knows the answer...........
Yeah - figured I'd get that post in before he headed for bed! Would have asked him off-line, but figured it would be good for all in the N.A. areas to see the answer.

Yeah - figured I'd get that post in before he headed for bed!

Off to bed, I haven't even had my tea yet!!!

Both items you link to have the required audio output jack, all you need is the part the device locks to as this can be fitted to your existing windscreen mount or the Brodit/ Pro-Clip ball.

I still don't understand why this accessory isn't sold in the American market place as there must be demand for it, what I am unsure about is whether a 740 with third party mp3 player installed will play music via the line out socket as I have never tried that combination - Well worth a try though as I would expect it to work - Mike

Off to bed, I haven't even had my tea yet!!!

Both items you link to have the required audio output jack, all you need is the part the device locks to as this can be fitted to your existing windscreen mount or the Brodit/ Pro-Clip ball.
"Existing" as in the mount that will come with a 740 purchased here in the U.S.? Guess I'm unclear as to the various pieces involved. Hope you can clarify. Understand I'm coming from a simple 720 environment with the square bit that slid into the rear of the unit. Both of the non-fixed mounts described below appear to be complete with the windscreen mount. I'm feeling dense this afternoon.

What I can't get my brain wrapped around is that the regular spare mount that they sell to us in the U.S. looks identical to the non-fixed "Active Dock" mount sold in the UK.

Accessories - Products - TomTom

Where the devil is the 1/8" (3.5mm) audio jack on either that one OR the UK version

Active Dock Mount Kit - Accessories - TomTom

I still don't understand why this accessory isn't sold in the American market place as there must be demand for it, what I am unsure about is whether a 740 with third party mp3 player installed will play music via the line out socket as I have never tried that combination - Well worth a try though as I would expect it to work - Mike
Not too fussed about MP3 as I've not used that feature even on my old 720 that fully supported it. Just needing the audio out for the directional info through the vehicle audio system.

You need to view the "shoe" from the rear to see where the extra sockets are located:

From left to right:

3.5MM Stereo Line out socket (1/8" depending on metric/ imperial)
RDS/TMC OR iPOD control socket (serial port)
Mini USB for Power OR Power AND RDS-TMC depending upon receiver type.

I hope this makes it a bit more understandable, the shoe in the picture above is the same one fitted to the European Brodit style mounts or the European Windscreen accessory mount, for some strange reason the attachment for the screen "fell off" (it makes it easier to show the sockets in the picture) - Mike

Last edited:
Ah, now THERE'S a photo I'd have loved to have seen before! Thanks much for posting it.

Per TomTom, the photos of UK (Active) and US (Stupid) mounts are deceptive in that neither show the rear that you just posted. FWIW, the correct part numbers for anyone interested are

Active Dock: 9UCB.017.00
Stupid Dock: 4CF0.000.01

I'd seen quite a number of the former available at places like Amazon, but was never before confident that they were what the description said they were. Now I can say that these are indeed Active Dock parts with the 9UCB part numbers, and appear to be widely available in the U.S. "gray market".

The latter is the part number for the normal U.S. version spare mount for an x40 model.

My plan at present is to order up a new 740TM Live from Amazon for $219 and a 9UCB mount or two so I can go multi-vehicle with it without hassle. It will live in my Santa Fe 95% of the time, but there are times when it would be nice to pop it into the mini-van for my wife as well. She decorates cakes for a living, and has to do deliveries in some peculiar spots, and isn't a great map reader even with I add some written directions. Yeah, it's a guy thing. We do roads -- they do "turn left at the yellow house with the flower baskets on the porch". No help if you haven't already been there.

As TomTom appears to be quickly killing off the very features that caused me to buy my first unit from them, I figure I'd better get situated with a replacement 740 for my old 720 as soon as possible. I'll leave the 720 in the 300M now.

You need to view the "shoe" from the rear to see where the extra sockets are located:

From left to right:

3.5MM Stereo Line out socket (1/8" depending on metric/ imperial)
RDS/TMC OR iPOD control socket (serial port)
Mini USB for Power OR Power AND RDS-TMC depending upon receiver type.

I hope this makes it a bit more understandable, the shoe in the picture above is the same one fitted to the European Brodit style mounts or the European Windscreen accessory mount, for some strange reason the attachment for the screen "fell off" (it makes it easier to show the sockets in the picture) - Mike

Here in US, the TT740TM Live, as you say, does not come with the "active dock" associated with the windshield mount which has the audio out connections shown.

However, take a look on the TomTom.com site at the "proclip" option (which comes in two parts) the cheapest of the two being a plastic mount which is designed specifically for your car and allows the TT to be friction-fit installed somewhere convenient in your car, without relying on the windhield suction mount. The second (more expensive) part is the active mount shown in this pix. IN GB it is known as a Brodit brand mount (in fact mine, when delivered had the little brodit sticker on it.) Altogether, price+shipping+no tax, my new setup set me back $83.00US.

I had to go to the ProClip setup for my 2006 Highlander because of windshield and dash shape. If I used the standard windshield sucker mount in my Highlander, I would never have been able to reach the 740 and would find my vision blocked besides.

The Windshield mount, that comes with the TT740 is great -- and I have it attached to a bean bag mount for use in my wifes MBZ wagon -- since we travel in her car infrequently.

The ProClip active mount available on TT.com is the same one sold in UK (as per pix above) and all is well, just as long as you don't need to use the stock TT windshield sucker mount and are willing to kick in another $22 to get the proclip mount that will be custom fit for your car -- or use the screws that come with the Brodit active mount and use the screws to permanently mount it to some flat surface in your truck or car.

If you must use the TT windshield mount, then somewhere on the forum is a set of pix that shows how to take apart and unscrew the back of the "Brodit brand" active mount so the ball shaped mount is made free from the flat screw base, and also how to also take apart the TT windshield mount, so your new Active mount ball can permanently attach to the TT 740 windshield mount sucker socket.

I just was too chicken to follow the instructions.;)

Good Luck.

Chuck

The standard windshield mount, if even as good as the old 720 mount, will work very well in my application. In my last two vehicles, I've had a mid-center wrap on the dash that is of sufficient size to hold the suction cup nicely. The only time it ever gets loose is if the passenger gets a bit wild with something they're holding and flat knocks it off.

Attachments

• tomtom.jpg
    tomtom.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 636
If you must use the TT windshield mount, then somewhere on the forum is a set of pix that shows how to take apart and unscrew the back of the "Brodit brand" active mount so the ball shaped mount is made free from the flat screw base, and also how to also take apart the TT windshield mount, so your new Active mount ball can permanently attach to the TT 740 windshield mount sucker socket.

I just was too chicken to follow the instructions.;)

The instructions refered to by c4791p above can be found in This Thread, its not difficult but it does help if you are used to messing around with small devices/ repairing them etc.

I should also add that the diameter of the ball the mounts swivel on is the same for the following devices and as such any device attachment can be converted to use the windscreen or Brodit style dash mount:

One Third Edition
One XL (Original)
One (All Easy Port mounts)
XL (All Easy Port mounts)
Start/ Ease
Go-x20
Go-x30
Go-x20/ x30 Easy Port mount
Go-x40
Go-x50
TT iPhone car kit

Another option is to purchase the Brodit Ball" 533091" and swap the device "shoe" on to the ball to convert a windscreen mount to a dash mount device.

Lots of options available from this little lot, the only other x40/ x50 mount not included is the unit with an integral European RDS-TMC receiver, this is too difficult to swap over as the aerial wire exits the shoe through the middle of the swivel ball, its not impossible but beyond the scope of most DIY skills - Mike

I should also add that the diameter of the ball the mounts swivel on is the same for the following devices ...
Now there's a super interesting factoid. Thanks for adding that bit of information to the puzzle. Opens up a lot of options that I hadn't considered. The ball on the 720 mount gave the appearance of a different diameter than the 730/740 when just eyeballing it.

canderson did you consider just getting an a2dp to 3.5 adapter? may be easier for you. the 740 does directions over a2dp

canderson did you consider just getting an a2dp to 3.5 adapter? may be easier for you. the 740 does directions over a2dp
Coulda/woulda and gave it some thought, but given the installs as they are, no way to power the adapter readily at the point of the 1/8" to the vehicle audio.

What type of connector is on the rear of your stereo, are they ISO plugs per chance? if so look at using an iO-Play for the A2DP link, added bonus is handsfree calls via the car speakers - Mike

What type of connector is on the rear of your stereo, are they ISO plugs per chance? if so look at using an iO-Play for the A2DP link, added bonus is handsfree calls via the car speakers - Mike
For my daily driver, yes. For the other two vehicles, no. Have seen the iO-Play discussed with install info on a couple of sites, so know how it would bolt into my Santa Fe if I ever choose to go that direction.

The only vehicle where we do any serious MP3 play is my wife's vehicle, and for that, I just have to jam the USB stick into the dash.

Since I'm already wired with 1/8" in all 3 vehicles (1 factory, 2 added via FM100A modulators) from my time with the 720, it is easier to stick with that configuration for now. I can already do the handsfree thing in my regular driver since it has a superior BT setup factory installed (voice activation, etc.).

Now that you've pointed out the common ball size, though, I'm going to be making some changes in the mounting in the new Grand Caravan (my wife's cakedeliverymobile).

OK - THAT was a bust. Have spent two weeks trying to sort this out to no avail.

While the 9UCB.002.00 is clearly not what I was after -- it includes no 1/8" audio out port, NEITHER is the 9UCB.017.00 that arrived yesterday. The latter looks no different than what is supplied in the box with the 740Live, yet it would appear that the two numbers above are for the same bloody part.

I've been poking around, and there appear to be three variants. I'd LOVE to get the correct TT part numbers assigned to each.

1 - Active dock. USB connector only to power/charge the unit in the car. Ships with U.S. 740 Live and who knows what models around the world.

2 - Active dock with iPod Support - appears to have once been sold in the U.K. - shows up on TT "Shop" web page as an item, but cannot be purchased. This appears to have both a 1/8" line out connection and an iPod control connection. I have yet to tie down a real part number for this item. Was it ever actually released?

3 - Active dock with iPod Support and RDS-TMC Traffic - still available on the U.K. TT "Shop" web page and available for purchase (at quite a price). Has all I/O from #2 and an integrated RDS-TMC receiver. I don't need or want this one as it will undoubtedly conflict with any RDS-TMC I might later try to pick up here in the U.S. (they're not compatible systems). FWIW: The part number for this unit appears to be 9UCB.001.00.

LAST - I'm fully capable of picking up an iron and doing some mischief - even down to the SMT level if necessary. If I could identify the audio out pins on the 740, I could undoubtedly pull those across and install my own 1/8" jack in one of these Active Dock units that comes only with the USB connector. Has anyone seen the pin-out for these units, or am I going to have to take a scope to them all while asking Susan to keep saying sweet nothings for me?

Last edited:
I think the "Post Man" should have the answer to your problem, although they said four or five days to ship it over so I guess its not turned up yet?? - Mike

Just disassembled the 9UCB.017.00 and was pleased to see that the same board is used for one and all -- they just don't populate with components unless needed. That means that the audio connection should be relatively easy. The SMT pad for a 1/8" jack already exists along with traces that likely extend all the way over from the connector. Even if I don't find an SMT 1/8" stereo jack that matches the pad layout, it should be easy enough to hard wire one to the pads. Will have to get Suzie talking and put the scope on. The docking connector doesn't pin straight to the pads, so there must have been a few intermediate components -- all in that area appear to have been passives.

Last edited:

Ask a Question