720 or XLS?

TomTom Model(s)
i am trying to decide between the 720 or XLS?

it is not apparent to me if the 720 has all of the same things that the XLS has PLUS more, or is an entirely different beast.

does the 720 come with more POIs?

is the hard drive/DS card stuff set up the same way?

can the 720 download extra voices?

i think that the bluetooth stuff seems worth the extra 60 bucks...

are there ANY downsides to going with the 720?

confused

any help in sorting this out would be greatly appreciated

I've got the One XLS and probably would have gotten a higher end model if the price difference was small. As it was, I paid $250 for the XLS and moving up the 720 would have been a considerable jump. The reason I would have gotten a higher end model is the ability to use the device as a handsfree option for the phone. It would have been nice to have it as an mp3 player but I'm hearing some downsides with music and phone volume conflicts. The other thing that I'm just finding out is the processor memory size. I just started using the tripmaster software and it's extremely slow on my machine and am assuming it's because of the low memory.

In any case, here's one persons opinion.

advantages of 720 over XL-S

. I just started using the tripmaster software and it's extremely slow on my machine and am assuming it's because of the low memory.

In any case, here's one persons opinion.

thank you.

that was helpful

does that mean the 720 has a faster processor?

The XLS has a 266 MHz process while the 720 has a 400 MHz processer.
The 720 can also use SDHC cards which is a plus when adding more maps or extra goodies. Don't forget Voice Recognition can be used on the 720.

I now have the XL-S since the beginning of January. When I bought it, the 720 was about 120$ more and thought the differences were not worth the additional expense...

With the XL-S, you only have 1GB of internal memory which is already close to full. It does not feature the same map, the XL-S has a less detailed map that the 720 has. With the XL-S, adding an SD card means the internal memory is no more accessible as it is either internal memory or SD card. On the 720, adding an SD card means it supplements to your internal memory. IOW the internal memory and SD card work together instead of exclusively. With the XL-S, you may not be able to buy the larger maps if Tomtom keeps the present policy of making maps device specific.

For 60$ more, I'd say go with the 720. With what I now know and this price difference I would opt for the 720.

SDHC cards in the 720

The XLS has a 266 MHz process while the 720 has a 400 MHz processer.
The 720 can also use SDHC cards which is a plus when adding more maps or extra goodies. Don't forget Voice Recognition can be used on the 720.

that is great news
quite welcome, as according to the documentation on the tomtom site it only takes SD or MMC
http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/GO720datasheet.pdf

will look into the Voice Recognition...

Last edited:
How big and SDHC card to get?

The 720 can also use SDHC cards which is a plus when adding more maps or extra goodies.

How big and SDHC card should I get in order to add more maps and goodies?

2GB or 4GB (or larger????)

just purchased a 16GB SDHC card. it is reformating as we speak. I'll let you know know how it works out for me.

The TomTom support site says that SDHC cards are not supported...

http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=1&Language=4&query=SDHC&FID=7957

SDcardchart.jpg

From TomTom's UK site

Also, the 16GB works on my 920.

Info on SDHC from TomTom's UK site for the 720

being new to TomTom i am not sure what to make of that - does it mean that they have discombobulated customer support, outdated support info, or that there might be different models for US & UK?

Also, the 16GB works on my 920.

awesome!
does one need a card that large to download extra maps and "goodies", or will a 4 or 8GB be sufficient?

4 or 8 would be sufficient. North America maps are about 2GB or less.
I am using a 16GB carp because I like to hold my other map in there and mp3s.

what tomtom support says about SDHC cards on the 720

now i am completely confused.
i got this email back from tomtom support:

Thank you for contacting TomTom. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us in regard to using an SDHC card. Our goal is to provide you with exceptional customer service, and we are happy to help!

At this time the SDHC cards are not compatible with the Go720 units. The only sd cards that are compatible are the standard sd cards.

If you have any further questions or comments, please e-mail or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

it sounds like people are having success with them, but they say they are "not compatible".

do they really mean "not supported"?

so now i have the SDHC card....

i have formatted it FAT32

when i insert it freaks the 720 out - flashing red x

do i need to move ALL of the data from the tomtom over to the card so that it essentially becomes the boot drive?

i have formatted it FAT32

when i insert it freaks the 720 out - flashing red x

do i need to move ALL of the data from the tomtom over to the card so that it essentially becomes the boot drive?

No, you should not have to. Try a pin reset.

I now have the XL-S since the beginning of January. When I bought it, the 720 was about 120$ more and thought the differences were not worth the additional expense...

With the XL-S, you only have 1GB of internal memory which is already close to full. It does not feature the same map, the XL-S has a less detailed map that the 720 has. With the XL-S, adding an SD card means the internal memory is no more accessible as it is either internal memory or SD card. On the 720, adding an SD card means it supplements to your internal memory. IOW the internal memory and SD card work together instead of exclusively. With the XL-S, you may not be able to buy the larger maps if Tomtom keeps the present policy of making maps device specific.

For 60$ more, I'd say go with the 720. With what I now know and this price difference I would opt for the 720.

What map less detail are we talking about?

Glad I listened to you (not TT support) about the SDHC

You may get a different response if you call them.

Got a 8GB high-performance SDHC card.

It works perfectly.

Thank you for your sagacious advice.

Ask a Question