7.9 software upgrade and favorites on 510

Just upgraded my 510 to version 7.900 of the software and my favorites are gone. I have USA and Canada maps, v 7.10.1575. I followed the instructions on another thread to copy the file mapsettings.cfg from my backup to the 510. Did it, and my favorites are still not showing up. Looks like the device is overwriting the file I copied with a new one for some reason. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

David

Last edited:
That is one of the numerous issues that users of 7.9 found...that the MapSettings.cfg could NOT be copied from a backup any more.

Roll back the firmware is a sggestion ...........

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought. Luckily, that's the only problem I've been having and since I don't have a lot of stuff in my favs, I'm just going to leave well enough alone for now...

David

You can download the program poi edit from www.poiedit.com and load the mapsettings.cfg from a backup. All your favourites will be listed. Now, using that program, create a custom poi file (like favourites.ov2) and put all your favs in the new poi file. Then, just put the favourites.ov2 file back into the specific map folder.

I've posted this before, but I think it's worth repeating.

I NEVER use favorites for the reason you found. TomTom is continually removing this information with updates and now they've gone one step further and made old mapsetting.cfg files incompatible with the latest update.

If I have locations I want to have as "favorites" I create POIs fo these locations. You could even create a POI called "FAVORITES" if you would like and enter their locations into the POI category.

I, personally, created a POI Category called "Friends" and put all my friends and family there. The *.ov2 file will always exist and TomTom will never wipe it out.

Well this is annoying! Just as I finally remembered exactly what to do when the upgrade gets rid of my favorites, too! I think I'll go annoy TomTom Support by adding yet ANOTHER ticket to their list of v7.90 bug reports. Looks like I'll be staying at 7.1X for a while....

Hi-ho, hi-ho...it's off to restore I go....

V7.9 Upgrade 910- What a joke

I can't believe that an OS upgrade that in the past has NEVER effected Favorites now wipes them out. What a software fiasco. Went back to 7.162 using system restore

Sorry, but using a workaround to keep your favorites is not something we should have to put up with. The favorites tab IS a POI file that TT allegedly placed on the main screen as a convenience. Great job TT, once again for having the general population beta test your "updates and upgrades".

My next firmware upgrade will be sponsored by Garmin.

Sorry, but using a workaround to keep your favorites is not something we should have to put up with. The favorites tab IS a POI file that TT allegedly placed on the main screen as a convenience. Great job TT, once again for having the general population beta test your "updates and upgrades".

I agree totally with what you are saying, but there will be 'quirks' with all devices and its best to come up with workable solutions so that you can have the best experience with whatever brand you choose.

I agree totally with what you are saying, but there will be 'quirks' with all devices and its best to come up with workable solutions so that you can have the best experience with whatever brand you choose.

It's not just navigation units -- it's all electronics. I have workaround solutions for my digital camera, personal media player, PDA, smartphone, PC, etc. I too feel the frustration with this, but if converting my Favorites to a Favorites POI will stop this from ever happening again, then that's what I will likely do. It's better than waiting on TomTom to put out a fix. My tech support question about this topic isn't even in the question history section of "My TomTom" account on their website. It would seem that they're having so many problems with this that they're not processing their technical support system the way the usually do.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I've had to copy my Favorites (mapconfig or whatever) over for at least the last three firmware upgrades (if not all of them) on my GO700. If I would've thought of the POI solution three updates ago, I would've already done it and then never had to worry about copying mapconfig or whatever over each time, or suffer through no solution this time around.

My 910 kept rebooting after updating to firmware v7.9 and could not bring up any POI. I had to download the map back on and it seemed to work. I seemed to have lost them all, but got them back after reinstalling the map. Has anyone else had any other issues with the new update?

did you read the other posts in this thread? Plenty of issues with this firmware, unfortunately. :eek:

My 910 kept rebooting after updating to firmware v7.9 and could not bring up any POI. I had to download the map back on and it seemed to work. I seemed to have lost them all, but got them back after reinstalling the map. Has anyone else had any other issues with the new update?

yep, FM transmitter doesn't work anymore, the signal seems to be weaker...

Did anyone file a support ticket with TomTom for this, and if so have you heard back from them yet? I filed a support ticket with them, and it didn't even show up in the "My Questions" section of my TomTom account. I suspect they will do what they've been doing to me lately -- it will just show up in that list a couple of months from now, labeled as "Resolved" and closed.

I'm a career network engineer -- it's not that difficult to make sure something works before releasing it, and if you do prematurely release it and there are problems, you don't just simply ignore the support tickets.

Firmware v7.903

TomTom finally sent me an email response that they've made firmware v7.903 available via the Home application. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully this fixes the Favorites issues, as well as all the other reported issues.

Kudos to their support and development team, but all of their in-house testing department should be fired. I know at every IT shop I've worked at that they would be fired if a big upgrade like this was released without proper testing.

Ask a Question