Latest Map Guarantee?

I tried to use my latest map guarantee, and TT Home tells me that I have the latest maps. BUT I DON"T. I have version 710. Version 715 should be available.
There shouldn't be any problems, I am well under the 30 day limit.
I tried logging off and on and restarting my computer and reconnecting my 920 but I keep getting the same thing. Is there a way to overcome this or am I sol? I tried to contact customer service and am still waiting for a reply.

Almost everyone has the same problem. Including me. I think they hope most people will see the message about being up to date and forget it.

You need to phone TomTom support:

call 1 866 486 6866 (available 8:30AM to 7:00PM EST Mon - Fri and 9:00AM to 5:00PM EST Saturdays)

Before you phone them scan your sales receipt and the "latest map guarantee" because they will ask you to send it to them. I had it ready to go on a PDF file and was able to do it while I was on the phone with them. Once they have the info they will put the North American map on HOME for you to down load. They will probably not be willing to give you the latest Europe map. if you are really persistant or you happen to get the right support person you may be able to talk them into giving it to you. Some on this forum have got lucky. I'm not one of them. :mad:

One thing I did notice the last time I called them and didn't catch on to till later. When I said that it doesn't say anything about only getting the NA map they referred to the part of their website where it mentions that they will update one map in relation to their "one year free map updates".

I was thinking that if they try that with you maybe you can ask them if that means you can get free updates for a year on the NA map. At this point they should start to backtrack and maybe you can talk them into giving you the Europe map or maybe they will give you the year of updates.

If you try this please let us know how it goes.

GOOD LUCK

thanks for posting

Wow! TomTom HOME is like a total decoy distraction to keep you from looking for the latest map version. I can't believe how buggy tomtom software is but this is a total scam! I would have never known for the longest time that I didn't get the latest maps when I purchased my tomtom.

So, though I am thoroughly disgusted with TomTom, I greatly appreciate this post because I only had a couple of days left in my 30 days. To be honest I just feel like ranting about how dismayed I have been with my TomTom experience. I feel "tricked" by TomTom HOME and can't believe it took over 20 minutes with customer service to get them to give me the map!

But alas, I am downloading the latest maps. Sure hope they fixed my city name!

Map Version

I hope you don't mind the question, but how did you determine the version of the map that you have. I have been all over the screens of my 920 and don't see a map version anywhere.

Here we go again.

After a phone call and an e-mail to customer service, I downloaded the NA map version 7.15, then I took a short trip and was happy with the update, I found a lot of speed limits have been added.
Now I get home, check my e-mail, and I get one from TT stating that version 720 is now available. I wish they would have told me before I wasted an hour on May 5 only to find out I'll have to do it again on May 9.
Of course, the new version doesn't pop up either with the "latest map guarantee" so I'll have to contact them again.
And I didn't even try yet to get the EU update, we'll see how that goes.

Received both NA and EU when I contacted them... I did have to ask for the EU but that was it, just asked and received. Good luck.

I had the same issue with mine. I just received it 3 days ago. Had map version710 on it. I emailed my info tonight and hope to see map 720 tomorrow.

I had the same issue with mine. I just received it 3 days ago. Had map version710 on it. I emailed my info tonight and hope to see map 720 tomorrow.

I would call them, I'm in the contact center business.... your email "could" sit there for day or weeks, phones are answered when you call...

they set up your ticket and you can immediately attach your files.. then they drop the maps into your TThome account.

YMMV

Blair

bittorrent?

OK, probably a dumb question, but what if you download a map from bittorrent? Are they controlled somehow? Do you need some kind of activation code or do you just need the data?

OK, probably a dumb question, but what if you download a map from bittorrent? Are they controlled somehow? Do you need some kind of activation code or do you just need the data?

There is a need for an activation code. Each map has its own MapName.dct specific file to the individual device. This means you can't transfer maps between devices and expect them to work.

Map exchange multiple Devices No maps found codes

There is a need for an activation code. Each map has its own MapName.dct specific file to the individual device. This means you can't transfer maps between devices and expect them to work.

.....And this where we all realise that tomtom really sucks big time. Having purchased two new ones v4, and corrupted one of them by updating over the net, not having a backup, so lost maps and can't revive it, 'ceptin Guam, which is exactly "where" in Australia. I can't transfer maps because I might be doing something illegal, by using the maps that came with each device...come on tt...

At this point I don't really care about copyright issues, I want to hack and swap as much as I like with multiple units, and these blighters have made it near impossible, NO I say, NO way are you going to cheat me like this.

These forums will one day be the salvation for us voyagers looking for THE THREAD that gives us back the control over machines and codes.

TomTom is good, really? some say the best, if that is so, why don't I have to have an activation number for Guam. It's like it was all planned to happen when I connected to Home. I would rather be locked out of all maps than be given one useless one, to remind me of my stupidity for not researching these things, before I turned one into a plastic pos paperweight.

I'll be back to help you lost souls when I find out more.... keep breathing....

Whenever I lose the storage on any electronic device, I have no one but myself to blame!... The question of losing storage data is not IF it is going to happen but ?when?. Therefore, I always try to backup whatever I have that I deem important. I have lost count on the number of hard drives that have failed. With over twenty years of using PCs, I have done stupid things that I was ashamed to admit I had done which resulted in data loss. Not often but too often in my taste... :( I once spent three full weeks trying to recuperate the data on my hd.

Believe me you never do to many backups or often enough. You need discipline and few have it. We often have the impression of losing time doing so because it has been a year since we haven't needed to restore. Then you relax in your backup procedure and then WHAM! :eek: Oh shit! My last backup was done xx days ago! The best way is to have an automated procedure with a fast efficient program like Acronis True Image and review your procedure every month and backup every new device with storage you get. It also helps if you get an external SATA device which will be as fast as your internal hds. I also supplement this with DVDs from time to time. They are cheap and rather reliable for the small sized, short term data.

I tried to use my latest map guarantee, and TT Home tells me that I have the latest maps. BUT I DON"T. I have version 710. Version 715 should be available.
There shouldn't be any problems, I am well under the 30 day limit.
I tried logging off and on and restarting my computer and reconnecting my 920 but I keep getting the same thing. Is there a way to overcome this or am I sol? I tried to contact customer service and am still waiting for a reply.

TOMTOM IS A ROTTEN COMPANY. THE MAP THEY UPDATE IS NOT THE NEWEST VERSION BUT ONLY THE VERSION THE DEVICE WAS DELIVERED WITH,

try to visit:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question