New Houston User

TomTom Model(s)
One 125
Hello, everyone. I recently received a One 125 for my birthday. It's my first GPS and so far, I really like it. It seems to be pretty accurate in regards to "getting me there", but I do have a few questions (and yes, I did do a search and looked at over 500 thread titles, and probably read 25 or more... so, anyway:

-I've been getting this strange icon appearing in the top left corner. It so far only seems to happen when I'm at a certain point on a certain freeway (Hwy 59 near Hillcroft, for the locals). It looks like a USB plug and has numbers underneath it. The numbers seem to scroll-down pretty quick at hwy speeds. It's also accompanied by a gong like noise. I saw this thread but it doesn't seem to be quite like mine. It's not a low battery because it'll do it on both plug-in power and battery power. What the heck is it?! Is there an ICON menu somewhere; I sure can't find it!!!

-My distance is off... a LOT sometimes. When I go HOME, it's like the GPS thinks my neighbor's house is mine. At intersections, it'll often tell me I still have 20~35yards to go, EVEN allowing for entering the intersection. Sometimes... it seems pretty close. Sometimes, it tells me the street is still ahead as I pass it. Anyway to fix or calibrate this?

-Recording voices- how do I do this, does it give you "prompts" as to what to say? Right now I'm using Hannibal Lector BBThroton's Slingblade got kinda old quick!!!!

-When it doesn't recognize an address, what's the quickest, easiest way to update it? We have so much building going on all the time, it doesn't recognize the Dominoes up the road, a whole section of road is missing from behind my neighborhood (funny... it's puts me out in a field until I get back to the old section of road!!)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated

And... how's this unit compare with others in its price range? Is it a decent unit, basically a bare-bones beginner unit or what? Being my first, I think it offers up pretty much what I need... but what am I missing out on from higher-priced units?

Well, thanks, gang

Happy GPSing!!
Eric B. aka smokeydog

Little help, Gang :D ?!

Thanks.
Sorry I though I had posted , must have gone in siber space.

First of all welcome to the forum !

You will find a lot of usefull help on here and people willing to offer you suggestions.

-
My distance is off... a LOT sometimes. When I go HOME, it's like the GPS thinks my neighbor's house is mine. At intersections, it'll often tell me I still have 20~35yards to go, EVEN allowing for entering the intersection. Sometimes... it seems pretty close. Sometimes, it tells me the street is still ahead as I pass it. Anyway to fix or calibrate this?
Have you lgged onto home and downloaded latest GPS Fixes ?

-
Recording voices- how do I do this, does it give you "prompts" as to what to say? Right now I'm using
Lector BBThroton's Slingblade got kinda old quick!!!!

You can download voices including computer voices from TomTom Home or you can record your own again TT home will show you how to do this.

When it doesn't recognize an address, what's the quickest, easiest way to update it? We have so much building going on all the time, it doesn't recognize the Dominoes up the road, a whole section of road is missing from behind my
(funny... it's puts me out in a field until I get back to the old section of road!!)

You will find that with all the construction and road building going on that the maps can be out of date a bit . however you can make map corrections with mapshare and upload them with TomTom Home and in time these corrections will be added to the newer maps.

You can also go to the Tele-Atlas website and make map corrections.
Tele_atlas

And... how's this unit compare with others in its price range? Is it a decent unit, basically a barebeginner unit or what? Being my first, I think it offers up pretty much what I need... but what am I missing out on from higher-priced units?

You will find this unit as good as any in the price range. The higher end units have more bells & whistles and mor POI's but as far as map coverage you probably have as good as higher end unit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, GarCor.

Yeah, done all the downloads available, to my knowledge. Whenever asked, I always click YES.

Did the mapshare thing and I did see one street that wsn't there before- cool.

Distance is still off a bit tho...

Thanks again :D

Thanks for the reply, GarCor.

Yeah, done all the downloads available, to my knowledge. Whenever asked, I always click YES.

Did the mapshare thing and I did see one street that wsn't there before- cool.

Distance is still off a bit tho...

Thanks again :D

location accuracy has been discussed a lot on this and the uk forums . bottom line it doesn't always get you bang on you location but in most cases it will get you close enought to see the location you are looking for.

location accuracy has been discussed a lot on this and the uk forums . bottom line it doesn't always get you bang on you location but in most cases it will get you close enought to see the location you are looking for.

Yeah, I mean, for the price, I think it kicks butt. Like I said somewhere else, I guess we just learn to live with some of the minor quirks but overall, I still like my unit :)eek: ) very much :D !!

I cured my HOME being off by re-doing it in gps cooridinates. No more pulling into the wrong driveway!!!

Maybe after the 125s have been out a while, a lot of these little problems will be sorted out by users sending in corrections as we find them... It's up to us, people!!!!!!!

Now... to try a new voice. I like the Dennis Hopper one, but $14?! Are they freaking crazy?! I won't pay $7.... Dr. Lector suffices for now :D

Ask a Question