TTOne V4!

Hey all...
Just picked up my TT1v4 Last week and so far I am pretty pleased with it's performance.

Couple of things...

1. The GPS location sometimes can take upto several minutes to get a fix on me. (I have heard something about quick-fix, and I am looking into that)

2. Maps out of date? It says that I have the most up to date maps, however there are several roads around me which are atleast 5 years old that do not show up. It there a repository or somewhere we can email them about these specific streets and their location?

3. How accurate is the GPS speed? I have noticed now that my speedometer is off by roughly 7% if the GPS is correct. I know that 10% is acceptable for an speedometer, but its just interesting.

Other than that... happy to be aboard!

1. The GPS location sometimes can take upto several minutes to get a fix on me. (I have heard something about quick-fix, and I am looking into that)

If you have the latest version of HOME v1.5.106, the quick-fix should download automatically.

2. Maps out of date? It says that I have the most up to date maps, however there are several roads around me which are atleast 5 years old that do not show up. It there a repository or somewhere we can email them about these specific streets and their location?

The latest maps are v665.xxxx. Check what version you are on, you do that by going to the Main Menu>Show Version. You can also check to see if they have your street by going to the Tele Atlas site called Insight.

3. How accurate is the GPS speed? I have noticed now that my speedometer is off by roughly 7% if the GPS is correct. I know that 10% is acceptable for an speedometer, but its just interesting.

I find its usually off at about 2-4 km/h in my car which I think is pretty good.

Quick-fix updates- how often?

If you have the latest version of HOME v1.5.106, the quick-fix should download automatically.

Anyone know how often (or on which days) the quick-fix gets downloaded? I heard it's about once a week or so? I'd like to know since I don't always connect my ONE to the computer to get updates..

I have noticed sometimes I get a GPS lock within seconds and other times it takes several minutes.. I'm hoping it only takes minutes because i didn't have the newest quick-fix data loaded. Or maybe I'm expecting too much .. this is my first GPS device and all. :)

Anyone know how often (or on which days) the quick-fix gets downloaded? I heard it's about once a week or so? I'd like to know since I don't always connect my ONE to the computer to get updates..

I have noticed sometimes I get a GPS lock within seconds and other times it takes several minutes.. I'm hoping it only takes minutes because i didn't have the newest quick-fix data loaded. Or maybe I'm expecting too much .. this is my first GPS device and all. :)

The quick-fix has an exiprary of 7 days. So if you downloaded it today, it will be next week today that you would download the next quick-fix

I suppose you could cheat by deleting the contents of the ephermis directory every day after use so the next time you hook it up you will download the the fix. I don't know though how you know the quickfix is the latest.

The quick-fix has an exiprary of 7 days. So if you downloaded it today, it will be next week today that you would download the next quick-fix

I guess this is their way of ensuring they get the travel data upload.

Thanks for all your responses!

Speedos on cars aren't 100% accurate for safety reasons.
The GPS speed is more accurate. :)
Legal reasons actually. So you can't ever use the defense that "My speedo said I was doing 29mph Judge"! and then sue the manufacturer of your car for causing you to break the speed limit. For this reason, it is usual for manufacturers to set the speedo approximately 10% over. It will never be under reading!

I guess this is their way of ensuring they get the travel data upload.
Not at all. It is not possible to accurately predict the orbits of the nav sats long-term. The longer the prediction, the less accurate it will be, to the point of being utterly useless. In order to work correctly ephemeris data can only be generated for the short-term (in this case, the next 7 days). A computer model is used to generate these predictions and it is based upon observations of the sats orbital paths. As with any model, it does not perfectly model the reality as there are too many unpredictable variables to consider in addition to drag induced degradation of orbits (variations in solar wind strength, earths magnetic field strength, impact of cosmic rays and micro-meteorites, etc.). Individually these effects have very little impact, but taken together and over time they mount up, in a way that is fundamentally unpredictable. It is just like weather prediction.

Also, you do not have to submit travel data. It is entirely optional. I don't, and I still get QuickFix updates.

Not at all. It is not possible to accurately predict the orbits of the nav sats long-term. The longer the prediction, the less accurate it will be, to the point of being utterly useless. In order to work correctly ephemeris data can only be generated for the short-term (in this case, the next 7 days). A computer model is used to generate these predictions and it is based upon observations of the sats orbital paths. As with any model, it does not perfectly model the reality as there are too many unpredictable variables to consider in addition to drag induced degradation of orbits (variations in solar wind strength, earths magnetic field strength, impact of cosmic rays and micro-meteorites, etc.). Individually these effects have very little impact, but taken together and over time they mount up, in a way that is fundamentally unpredictable. It is just like weather prediction.

Also, you do not have to submit travel data. It is entirely optional. I don't, and I still get QuickFix updates.

wow... that was a well stated and lucid answer

Thanks!

Ask a Question