memory problem...

TomTom Model(s)
one V3
Apologies if this is repeating myself but I am desperate for a fix.
I lost my postcodes for the UK whilst updating for the first time in years. Apparently the memory is completely full with the app and the map alone so I can't add them back. I have a mac and emptied the local trash on advice but it made no difference.
How should I proceed - I feel I want to wipe it and reinstall everything. Is this easy to do?
Thanks in advance!

I need 9mb - voices won't do it. Having looked further in here it would seem I just ran out of space when I updated and the codes got booted out. With no memory card available I just rendered it useless. Where was the window telling me that was going to happen with an accept button?
Thanks for the links, the first I tried and made no difference and I am about to try the second link alfie67...will let you know.

I don't think alfie67's link is going to help at all.
It just tells you how to download and install the postcode files. there's nothing about making space for them.

How about deleting the files from the raster folder, if you have one?
Those are the "satellite images" that you get when you zoom RIGHT out to country level.

Also, check in your map named map folder for any "cspeech..." files. Those are for voice recognition (which is not available on the One) so you could safely delete those.

As ever, ensure you have a full backup BEFORE you start deleting any files...just in case.

I realised that as I saw it was a zip. I don't have a raster folder. And when I back up, it ends up corrupted and stops. I am sorry to say I went ahead and updated despite not backing up. Well...it gave me a tick to say completed but obviously hadn't....I am trying again now. When complete I will look at the other files you mentioned thanks.

Nope. got this error code at 80% done:
ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: /Users/racheldevine/Documents/TomTom/HOME/Backup/ONE/Backup01/InternalMemory/Western_Europe_1GB_S/DeletedPoi.local
@ /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b1172co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../HomeBase/portable/cfile.cpp(1953)

in /usr/local/parabuild/etc/build/b1172co/a/u/t/o/CodeBase/Sources/Home/DesktopSuite/../HomeBase/portable/cfile.cpp:1953
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:81
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1060
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:76
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:68
this._errorFatal(error);

So I cant back up I am about to give up. Its all France's fault.

... and if it still fails, it should normally tell you what file it is stalling on, in which case try backing up in smaller chunks working around that file so you end up with a complete backup minus one file.

Then tell us what that file was...

Well. Thanks to the team at customer support at Tomtom....I no longer have a useable device. They wiped it then told me my last map was illegal and unless I can produce proof of purchase (present 5 years ago so not likely) there is 'nothing' they can do. So basically, first of all the application that supports the software got me to upgrade to something that would never have fitted and then the help team got me to wipe it clean and told me I would have to pay to replace the map. On a garbled machine that is fragmented all over the place.
There is a thread entitled 'where to stick tomtom' so I have a post for that one next.
I just bought a garmin out of spite. I am fuming and gobsmacked all at once. What a rip off.
But thanks for your replies!
x

Just goes to reinforce our most important advice of all.....

ALWAYS make a Windows Explorer backup BEFORE you make any updates or major changes.

Ask a Question