Problem with memory card

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2nd Edition
i have a problem with my Rider 2. I haven't used it for a while, at least a few months. I pulled it out of my bike and plugged it into the wall charger for about 10 minutes. Then when I turned it on it wants me to put in the memory card. Well the card was in it, so I pulled it out and put it back in, and I get the red X. I pulled the card out and put it into my computer, and the computer wants to format the card before I can use it. Can anyone help me with this problem? What do I need to do? TomTom home doesn't recognize it when I plug it into the computer.
Thanks for any help,
Kev

Kev, Have you got a backup of the device on your PC? if so format the card and re-install the backup from the computer.

No backup could be rather difficult unless you have ever updated the map on your unit from the PC? - Mike

Mike,
Thanks for your reply. No, I don't have a backup. That is one of the things I needed to do, but forgot. What do I need to do to get this to work?
Thanks, Kev

Did you ever update the map using Home from your PC, if not the only option is to purchase a map for the device, if you have updated a map in the past then there will be a copy of it still on the computer stored in the folder TomTom Home uses for "Downloads" - Mike

You'll need to purchase the map using Home's software.

Connect your unit to Home. Select Add Maps. And go from there.

When I am logged in on Home, it doesn't recognize my Rider. It says no device connected. Will that still work?
Thanks

Try a reset of the unit (think your model has a dedicated reset hole on the bottom. If not, hold the power button about 15 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.)

Connect it to the computer & see if it's recognized now.

No such luck. it looks like the memory card got erased somehow, when it was in my saddlebag. I went into explorer and looked at the properties of the device and it shows the type as Removable Disk, File System: RAW. Used space is 0 bytes, and the Free space: 0 bytes. I think this is real bad.
What can I do to get this to work?
Thanks for any and all Help.
Kev

Well, it's all fixed.
The memory card was fryed. I called TomTom support, and they were great, helping me. I bought a new card, and formatted it. Then I reset the unit, holding the paper clip for about 15 seconds. Then I installed the new card, and plugged the unit into the computer. I then had to do an Update, and installed the software, and a voice. Then I called TomTom back, and they gave me a map to download. The download took quite a while, for the North America map, but it worked just fine Yesterday.
Thanks for all of the help. This forum is great.
Kev

Ask a Question