How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

TomTom Model(s)
XL 350TM
I have the old menu system back on my XL 350!

I followed the instructions at the following link:

GpsPasSion Forums - [TIP] Enabling POI Alerts on TomTom Start/Ease

Works like a charm. I now have most of the old menu items back and everything seems to work fine.

A couple caveats: If you do a custom menu, there seems to be no way to get the Map Corrections and Help functions back. They seem to be embedded in the new EasyMenu system as code, not as a selectable menu item that can be programmed.

Other than that, I have most of the old functionality back such as Compass, Show Route (all options, text, picture, demo, etc), Manage POIs, Set POI Alerts, etc.

I'm going to leave it this way for now to see how it all works.

This is good news for those of us that have the newer TomToms! You can also choose to change the IQ Routes to the old Shortest Route, Fastest Route, etc. Or, leave it as is using the new IQ Routes.

Also realize that TomTom is intentionally disabling these workarounds. This bypass could disappear with the next application update. 3rd party poi alerts are already targeted, an intentional disabling by TomTom as they compete with some of TomTom's own offerings. It appears they are positioning their devices to accept only TomTom supplied solutions at some future point, perhaps as early as year's end, but more likely next year. As far as the older "full" menu interface, it looks as tho it is being completely abandoned in the US, and perhaps soon World-wide too, with no further updates going forward.

I guess I'll just need to make sure I do a full backup (Explorer-style) before applying any future TomTom updates to make sure I can revert back to keep this working.

With my modded menus, I have been able to add back all the following:

- Itinerary Planning
- POIs on the 3d Map Display
- POI spoken warnings
- AtoB Planning
- All View Route Options (turn-by-turn text, pics, demo, etc)
- Avoid Route Options (i.e. I can now avoid a highway that I don't want to travel)
- The ability to set all preferences as before
- The ability to always avoid Toll Roads
- Planning Preferences (Ask every time for shortest, fastest, avoid freeways, walking, etc)
- Ability to turn on/off IQ Routes
- Compass is back on and visible

All while having the latest unit with lifetime traffic and maps! Love it!

That is correct. I have the latest update on my XL 350 and everything works fine.

Sure thing. Here is my custom menu:

----------- BEGIN TomTom.mnu ------------------
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Just a Filler|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3| Route|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4| POIs-Favorites|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5| Preferences|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6| Information|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
-------------------END TomTom.mnu -----------------------------

Just copy this (not including the BEGIN and END statements), paste it into a text file, and save the text file as "TomTom.mnu".

Then, attach your TomTom to your computer and create a directory in the root of the TomTom called "sdkregistry". Place the TomTom.mnu in this directory.

Then, simply disconnect the TomTom and when it reboots it will have the new menus.

To switch back to the original Easy Menu, attach it back to your computer and rename the TomTom.mnu file to something else such as Tom.mnu. The default menus will then load.

This menu works perfectly on my XL350. I have not tested it on anything else, but I assume anything with the EasyMenu should work with this.

I found a good tool that allows you to switch from the custom menus back to the original EasyMenu on the fly.

The tool is called SwitchMenu and can be found here:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...tching-original-custom-menus-screen-dump.html

Just follow the instructions to install it.

I have verified that it works on my XL350 to switch back and forth between my new custom menus and the EasyMenu system.

Since we're on the subject of *.mnu files, I'm trying to help a friend locally who was using this technique to improve the performance of his old TomTom One 3rd Edition. He was telling me that NavCore8 broke the very feature he was trying to achieve (itinerary planning). I was not previously aware that this was a problem. He further pointed me to this link:

HowTo: Add Itinerary Planning to TomTom ONE 3rd Edition - Tips, Tricks & Mods

Like the OP there, my friend says that attempts to access itinerary planning locked up his unit once he had upgraded to a NavCore8 version of firmware on his unit.

Like the OP, he in turn downgraded back to NavCore7 firmware to avoid this problem and retain his itinerary planning ability.

I don't recall seeing this as an issue here before. What units will "bomb" if itinerary planning is added from a *.mnu, and which don't? And is there any kind of solution for my friend's problem that is keeping him back on an antique version of firmware?

The One Third Edition is worse than just being confined to Navcore 7 it is a specific Navcore 7 version ONLY that lets you hack the unit to perform Itinerary planning, once they (TomTom) realised that this mode could be switched on out came an update (within a few weeks) that killed of the ITN capability - Mike

Switch Menu on XL350

I have verified that it works on my XL350 to switch back and forth between my new custom menus and the EasyMenu system.

Newbie here! I have been experimenting with the custom menus on my new XL350TM and have enjoyed the extra functionality. I'm now trying to get the Switch Menu program to work. I placed the SM icon on the last |Information| menu by replacing one of the |TASK_EMPTY| with |SDK1|. When I tap the icon my TT just goes back to the main navigation screen instead of switching.

Parider, did you have to do any modifications to the code to get it to work on your XL350? I found my TT already had a 'bin' folder at the root so I placed 'switchmenu.sh' there. Is that right?

Parider, did you have to do any modifications to the code to get it to work on your XL350? I found my TT already had a 'bin' folder at the root so I placed 'switchmenu.sh' there. Is that right?

I did not make any changes to the code. It sounds like you did what I did. In the sdkregistry directory, be sure to place the bitmap and CAP file. The 'switchmenu.sh' goes in the BIN as you described.

You may need to look at the code to make sure your directory name and menu file name match exactly. It is case sensitive also. If not, make them match.

I did notice it is a bit flaky sometimes. I've had occasions where it works perfectly and occasions where it didn't and worked the way you described. When that occurred, I had to hit the soft reset button on the TomTom to reboot for it to work properly. It was almost like it was caching something in memory and not making the changes directly to disk.

Probably a noob question, but wanted to clarify this before I tweak my XXL 550:

These advanced options are already present and functional (but hidden) in the new EasyMenu-based OS, and this tweak simply unlocks them, right?

EDIT: My main intention is to enable routing preferences and the ability to disable IQ Routes. Do these unlocked features fully work after the tweak (besides being listed on the menu, that is)?

Last edited:
If a menu option is visible after the tweak, then the function for that menu icon wiill work as well.

These advanced options are already present and functional (but hidden) in the new EasyMenu-based OS, and this tweak simply unlocks them, right?

Yes, you are correct.

The functionality is there, but TomTom simply chose to hide it behind the EasyMenu system. I'm not sure why they didn't give advanced users the options to display the full menus. It would have been far more easier.

Yes, you are correct.

The functionality is there, but TomTom simply chose to hide it behind the EasyMenu system. I'm not sure why they didn't give advanced users the options to display the full menus. It would have been far more easier.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll go ahead and tweak my XXL 550, since the current "EasyMenu" is just atrocious.

OK I tried it, and it works great on my XXL 550. :D Thank you for this ESSENTIAL tweak.

Holy crap there are so many new available options now. :eek: I've been playing with them for over an hour now. lol

Ask a Question