How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

Holy crap there are so many new available options now. :eek: I've been playing with them for over an hour now. lol

I am still amazed that TomTom did not give an option to activate the "full" menus.

Additionally, they block menu items in TomTom Home for our model that are useful menu options once you've "unlocked" the full menu system.

For example, I downloaded the Yoda Voice Pack for my XL the other day. I then went to get the "free" Yoda items such as startup, shutdown, and warning sounds, but TomTom Home would not let me access those areas to download them because "my model does not support that option". Actually, once you've unlocked the full menus, it does.

So, I had to search the web to find the full pack on another site.

Anyone know of any way to fool TomTom Home into thinking you've got a different model then you actually do?

Here is a tip:

When I enabled the full menu on my XXL, the first thing I was always shown was the EasyMenu's "Images and Audio" settings screen. There I had to tap "Done" in order to get to the full menu. That's annoying.

But I figured out a way to skip that screen, and go directly to the full menu. No need to tap "Done" to access it.

On the "Main Menu" block (top of tomtom.mnu file) simply change the initial page from 1 to 2.

For example, change this:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Blank |
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

to this (assuming your custom menu starts at page 2):

MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| Blank |
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|

Now you will be shown the first page of your customized menu as soon as you turn the device on or tap the map view.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: See below for the full tomtom.mnu

Last edited:
I played with the settings some more, and I think I've managed to make this device function like it should. As I mentioned above there is no need to tap any Done button to reach the full menu. The full menu is now the first thing you see.

The full menu has two sections, the "Main" menu and the "Preferences" menu.

The Main menu section is the first thing you see when you touch the map or turn the device on. There are three pages in this section. On the third page you will find an "Options" button (no icon unfortunately), which when clicked will take you to the Preferences menu.

On the Preferences menu there are four more pages with settings that are not essential enough (to me) to be on the main menu. Obviously you can change or add more pages if you want.

Clicking Done on either the Main menu or Preferences menu takes you to the main navigation map view. IMO having the pages divided in two sections makes it a lot faster to switch through the main menu pages (since there are only 3 pages as opposed to 5 or 6). I also added page numbers on the title text for clarity.

Here is the customized tomtom.mnu that allows you to accomplish this:

MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| This remains blank|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Menu - Page 1 of 3 - Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Menu - Page 2 of 3 - Advanced Routing|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Menu - Page 3 of 3 - Favorites and Options|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5|Preferences - Page 1 of 4 - Points of Interest|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MANAGE_MAPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6|Preferences - Page 2 of 4 - General Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS|
MENUITEM|TASK_LEFTHANDED|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_LANGUAGE|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE7|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE7|Preferences - Page 3 of 4 - OSD Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE8|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE8|Preferences - Page 4 of 4 - Device Settings|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|

The only thing I need to figure out is missing icons for the "Options", "Sound", and "Day/Night" switch buttons. Right now I can only see the text. This is how they're supposed to look like according to OpenTom:

Options:
x40changepreferences.png

Night/Day:
x40nightcol.gif

Sound On/Off:
x40mute.gif

These are all functions found on that initial EasyMenu screen:

xxl550easymenu.jpg

Those smaller icons are apparently incompatible with the traditional menu system. So all we get is text. It works, but doesn't look as nice. :(

Does anyone know how to properly format those icons so that we can to copy them to the device, and make them visible on the main menu?

Last edited:
Save each icon image as a bitmap (.bmp) file and put the icons in to the SDKRegistry folder on the device, next open your TomTom.mnu file using Note pad and add the icon file name to the applicable line in the menu syntax:

MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|"Prepare_Route.bmp"|"Prepare Route"|

The above is for AtoB Planning using Prepare_Route.bmp icon I stored in the SDKRegistry folder, finally the "Prepare Route" text is what appears under the icon on the menu screen - Mike

Save each icon image as a bitmap (.bmp) file and put the icons in to the SDKRegistry folder on the device, next open your TomTom.mnu file using Note pad and add the icon file name to the applicable line in the menu syntax:

MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|"Prepare_Route.bmp"|"Prepare Route"|

The above is for AtoB Planning using Prepare_Route.bmp icon I stored in the SDKRegistry folder, finally the "Prepare Route" text is what appears under the icon on the menu screen - Mike

Thanks for the reply. I tried that, but it doesn't work. I opened the file in Photoshop, and saved it as a 16-bit bmp (smallest available option).

MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|"Options.bmp"|"Preferences"|

This is the actual Options.bmp file (Imageshack autoconverted it to png after I uploaded it):

optionsr.png

The text is updated, but the picture is not. I still get a blank spot where the picture is supposed to be.

90138250.jpg

Last edited:
All the icons I have stored on the computer (and I have used) so I known they work are all 24 bit, so I would try dhn's advice - Mike

Saved the bmp file as 24 bit, and that did the trick. :D Thank you so much!

capturextb.jpg

What about switches (like that "night" button, which changes between "day" and "night")? They require 2 pictures and 2 sets of text.

Is there any particular syntax I can use in tomtom.mnu for those?

Last edited:
Here is a full list of all the commands I have got:

TASK_NONE
TASK_EMPTY
BTM_GPS_POSITION
BTM_DONE
BTM_TRAFFIC_INFO
TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES
TASK_SWITCH_ASN
TASK_SET_VOICE
TASK_SET_LANGUAGE
TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS
TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE
TASK_SET_GEO
TASK_SWITCH_TIPS
TASK_SET_VOLUME
TASK_SWITCH_SOUND
TASK_SHOW_STATUS
TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS
TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS
TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT
TASK_RESET_SETTINGS
TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH
TASK_SWITCH_CLOCK
TASK_LEFTHANDED
TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_TYPE
TASK_SET_PROMPT
TASK_SET_COMPASS
TASK_SET_STATUS
TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW
TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES
TASK_SET_DAY_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_SET_NIGHT_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION
TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES
TASK_ADD_FAVORITE
TASK_SET_SAFETY_SPEED
TASK_SWITCH_2D3D
TASK_SET_MAP
TASK_DELETE_MAP
TASK_SHOW_MAP
TASK_SET_HIDEMAP
TASK_SWITCH_POI
TASK_CONFIGURE_POI
TASK_MAINTAIN_POI
TASK_MENU_RECALC_BLOCK
TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE
TASK_PLAN_VIA
TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES
TASK_ASK_CHANGE_OWNER
TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC
TASK_TRAFFIC_SETTINGS
TASK_TRAFFIC_ENABLE
TASK_TRAFFIC_UPDATE
TASK_TRAFFIC_REPLAN
TASK_TRAFFIC_VIEW
TASK_TRAFFIC_EXPLAIN
TASK_RDSTMC_SELECT_COUNTRY
TASK_NAVIGATE_TO
TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB
TASK_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_SET_TOLL
TASK_SET_PLANTYPE
TASK_SET_CRADLE
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_DEMO
TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_STEP_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_ABOUT
TASK_ITINERARY
TASK_TUTORIAL
TASK_EXIT_APP
TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER
TASK_MANAGE_MAPS
TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD
TASK_DOWNLOAD_MAP
TASK_DOWNLOAD_POI
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VOICE
TASK_DOWNLOAD_SCHEME
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VERSION_NUMBER
TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN
TASK_HELP_GENERAL
TASK_HELP_MAINMENU
TASK_HELP_MAPBROWSER
TASK_HELP_ZOOMING
TASK_HELP_TRAFFIC
TASK_HELP_ITINERARY
TASK_HELP_PLANNING
TASK_MENU_PHONE
TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE
TASK_DIAL_POI
BLOCK_MAIN
BLOCK_PREF
BLOCK_CURSOR
TASK_SDK
TASK_PAGE
TASK_BUDDIES
TASK_DOC_BROWSER
TASK_IMAGE_BROWSER
TASK_IPOD
TASK_JUKEBOX
TASK_MULTIMEDIA
TASK_PLAN_TO_MAPLOC
TASK_NEARBY_POICAT
TASK_CENTER_ON_MAP
TASK_DO_ADD_FAVOURITE
TASK_CURSOR_INTO_POI
TASK_TRAVEL_VIA
MENUBLOCK
MENUPAGE
MENUITEM

As far as i can remember the "TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW" toggles between day and night mode but I am not 100% on this you will have to try it on your device, from the above list certain items simply won't work on your device, for example anything to do with Bluetooth or Multimedia won't funtion although you might find the "TASK_DOC_BROWSER" works letting you read/ seach text files on the device - Mike

Oh I know the commands. I went through that OpenTom wiki that lists all commands and explains them.

The thing with switches (at least in my device) is that they have a different picture and text depending on the current state. For example, if I have already selected night mode, the button will now have the text "day" instead of "night". Unfortunately, if you specify a picture and text like you would for any other button, that particular picture and text is used for both states. So for now I am using something generic like "Night Mode On/Off", instead of "Night Mode" and "Day Mode" depending on state. I mean, it works great as it is, but I want to make it perfect.

capturegmd.jpg

I was wondering whether it was possible to have two pictures associated with a single button. I have searched the internet but I haven't been able to find anything about switches. I will play with it some more, and see if it's possible.

In any case, thanks again for your help. :)

I don't think its possible to do what you want re the day/ night switching when using a custom menu.

Why not grab a screen shot of the day icon and another of the night icon then stitch them together from two halves so the left side is night mode and righthand part of the icon depicts day mode (photoshop would be good for this). Finally change the text to "Day/ Night Toggle" - Mike

Oh well. I'll just leave that like it is. "Night Mode On/Off" is generic enough IMO.

BTW, if anyone with an EasyMenu TomTom wants to download my SdkRegistry folder with all the pictures and customized tomtom.mnu, you can get it here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1LY7W4RG

This is what menus on my XXL 550 look like. Pretty much complete at this point. :D

The main navigation map view:

57831914.jpg

Tap the map area and you will be shown the main menu:

36304845.jpg

95099824.jpg

85969253.jpg

Tap that "Preferences" button above, and you get to the Preferences menu:

16508351.jpg

95865900.jpg

39568222.jpg

50472918.jpg

74325345.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the full menu from parider or/and genci88 works 100% with XL 350T?
I tried the one from parider and the only downside found is no traffic. I plug in my traffic antenna and nothing happens. I really need that feature and have since switched back my menu.

Does anyone know if the full menu from parider or/and genci88 works 100% with XL 350T?
I tried the one from parider and the only downside found is no traffic. I plug in my traffic antenna and nothing happens. I really need that feature and have since switched back my menu.

I have no idea if Traffic is fully functional, since I only have the plain XXL 550 (no traffic, no maps). However, parider has the XL 350TM (according to his profile), so he should be able to give you an answer.

EDIT: I added the traffic item to my menu just to try it out, and I get this when I try to access it:

captureps.jpg

Which seems normal enough, considering that I don't have Traffic on my version.

Last edited:
I used paride's second post with the copy an paste option. I see the same icon and got the same error, antenna not plugged in. I will have to give it a test run.

I was out this morning for 20 min and my device never found a traffic signal. Never took that long before. I guess I'm back to default for now. I don't mind the easy menu but I really like to be able to avoid a road on my route when I want.

UPDATE - renamed the tomtom file to tom and tried it with my traffic antenna. Nothing happened again. Going to perform some restorations to try and fix.

Final UPDATE - I tried to restore my tomtom to the way it was using the format and copy my back over method. Still no traffic. I have since returned my tomtom for another, the XL 340 live. This has the old menu and I get lifetime traffic and maps. So far so good.

Last edited:
I have no idea if Traffic is fully functional, since I only have the plain XXL 550 (no traffic, no maps). However, parider has the XL 350TM (according to his profile), so he should be able to give you an answer.

The Traffic item works fine on my XL 350TM, but only when the antenna is connected. It will give an error if you select it without the antenna connected.

Greetings to all,
I want to thank the excellent job genci88 for his work.

However, I wish to place a recuest to the masters in the construction of these menus.
If it is possible to add the option of navegate through the introduction of coordinates and the option to change voice.

Greetings to all,
I want to thank the excellent job genci88 for his work.

However, I wish to place a recuest to the masters in the construction of these menus.
If it is possible to add the option of navegate through the introduction of coordinates and the option to change voice.

Thank you, but credit should go to parider as he was the one who originally posted this tweak. The others and I merely improved on it. :)

I have tried all the options listed here, and none of them have given me the ability to change the voice when using the full menu.

However, it can be changed in EasyMenu (under "Advanced" options). You can temporarily disable the Full menu, change the voice in EasyMenu, and then re-enable the full menu. Changes you make in EasyMenu are carried over to full menu (and vice versa).

I have no idea about coordinate-based navigation in the XL/XXL series though. :confused:

Ask a Question