How to get more menu options on models with 'Easymenu'

Thank you, but credit should go to parider as he was the one who originally posted this tweak. The others and I merely improved on it. :)

I have tried all the options listed here, and none of them have given me the ability to change the voice when using the full menu.

However, it can be changed in EasyMenu (under "Advanced" options). You can temporarily disable the Full menu, change the voice in EasyMenu, and then re-enable the full menu. Changes you make in EasyMenu are carried over to full menu (and vice versa).

I have no idea about coordinate-based navigation in the XL/XXL series though. :confused:

thanks for the reply, my apologizes to paride by omission that i did, was inadvertently.

Thanks much parider and genci88

I just purchased and used out-of-the-box an XL 350M on a trip. Prior to making this purchase, I had checked out user reviews and often found owners of previous Tom Tom units complaining about the EasyMenu.

This morning I downloaded and installed the file genci88 provided. Now I know why people missed the previous options. The full menu offers so much more useful functionality and customization, I'm surprised it's not at least offered as an option. My guess is the EasyMenu results in fewer requests for support for Tom Tom.

Thanks again to both of you for providing this information.

I have a XL350TM with the easy menu (ugh)
I have used the advise from the forum to SdkRegistry and get back the old menu but can't figure out how to get speed alerts for driving over a set speed or over the speed limit. Can anyone help me?:mad:

I have installed the old menu in my xl350 and seems to be working BUT I would like to get speed alerts from the device. Is there a way to put this in my menu?

I was out this morning for 20 min and my device never found a traffic signal. Never took that long before. I guess I'm back to default for now. I don't mind the easy menu but I really like to be able to avoid a road on my route when I want.

UPDATE - renamed the tomtom file to tom and tried it with my traffic antenna. Nothing happened again. Going to perform some restorations to try and fix.

Final UPDATE - I tried to restore my tomtom to the way it was using the format and copy my back over method. Still no traffic. I have since returned my tomtom for another, the XL 340 live. This has the old menu and I get lifetime traffic and maps. So far so good.
I'm fairly certain your unit was broken and it was simple coincidence it happened at the same time as you did the menu tweak. (Possibly you might have damaged the USB connector? Due to that ridiculous recess of the connector, damaging it would be easy.)

Traffic works fine on my XL 350T even after doing the menu tweak.

However - I am unable to get SwitchMenu to appear in my custom menus. I'm using parider's menu set, and tried to change the entry for the image browser to |SDK1| - that option simply disappears. SwitchMenu does appear in the custom menus.

Edit: I figured it out. fsk1 said he replaced a |TASK_EMPTY| with an |SDK1| - It's |TASK_SDK1| that you need.

Edit 2: Has map corrections been removed from the XL 350 series? I cannot find it in the original EasyMenu menus anywhere. The OpenTom menu structure page says it's available via "Browse Map" but I can't find anything about map corrections here. Also, it appears that Quick Menu is permanently gone, since it can't be in a custom menu and isn't in the original menus?

Last edited:
Has map corrections been removed from the XL 350 series? I cannot find it in the original EasyMenu menus anywhere. The OpenTom menu structure page says it's available via "Browse Map" but I can't find anything about map corrections here. Also, it appears that Quick Menu is permanently gone, since it can't be in a custom menu and isn't in the original menus?

Mapshare is on the default menus of the XL 350 series. I believe Mapshare is one of the features than cannot be accessed by any sdk menu hack.

Quickmenu is not supported by the XL 350 nor XXL 550.

Also, a new app 9.150 put back many (but not all) of the missing features back into the XL 350 / XXL 550 line.

What about GPS?

This post has been extremely helpful in restoring my XXL550 to a full selection of menu options

Does anyone know how to enable navigate to a GPS location? It used to be a function of the XXL series until the menu system was dumbed down.

Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for your comments concerning the creation of these custom menus. Thanks to GENCI88 for packaging the customization and making it easy for everyone to implement.

For me, it was either find a way or return the unit to the store. I didn't want to return the unit as the price I paid was exceptional, especially considering it included unlimited maps and traffic for life.

Now that TomTom has updated the software, I no longer have a need for custom menus. TomTom has included all the features that I wanted in the latest release.

I want to thank TomTom for listening to the customer and returning these features to the menu system. I am confident that TomTom read this forum and saw all our comments concerning these missing features.

This is what "open innovation" is all about. It is important that companies like this listen to the feedback of the customer. Thank you TomTom for listening and returning these features to your units. You truly exemplify what a company should do when the customers point out needs in a product.

By taking these steps and including things such as Map Corrections and the ability to customize the unit (love the Star Wars voices), you truly set yourself apart in the competitive GPS environment.

Kudos to TomTom! You have made me a loyal customer for life!

parider

Does anyone know how to enable navigate to a GPS location? It used to be a function of the XXL series until the menu system was dumbed down.

Navigate to GPS was one of the features of the XXL 540 that was removed in the Easymenu XXL 550. The new app 9.150 did not return that feature.

For those that have had or are having issues with the traffic reception (RDS receiver on power cord or add on power cord receiver). My wife had the same issue nothing we did would bring back the traffic. As a last resort I turned off the unit and then held the power button in until the unit turned back on KEEP holding the button down until the unit flashes bright green screen (hard reset). Unit will power off and stay off. let up on the button and power on normally. Traffic came back on and worked perfectly. Don't know if that will help but its wort a try. This does NOT reset your settings etc...it just seems to be a cold boot.

Because i'm going to the USA in 2011 i bought a Tomtom XL from someone who went to the USA.
And... i also had the EasyMenu....
But now, after this great explenation i've got the full menu :)
The only think i now have to do is create icons for the sound and night/day.
I used the icons from page 3 from this topic, but when i want to save them with photoshop i can omly use the 4 or 8-bit bmp....
Does someone know where i can find larger icons from the sound - night/day so i can save them as 24-bit bmp :confused:

Thank you verry much!

Someone from Holland

Last edited:
Because i'm going to the USA in 2011 i bought a Tomtom XL from someone who went to the USA.
And... i also had the EasyMenu....
But now, after this great explenation i've got the full menu :)
The only think i now have to do is create icons for the sound and night/day.
I used the icons from page 3 from this topic, but when i want to save them with photoshop i can omly use the 4 or 8-bit bmp....
Does someone know where i can find larger icons from the sound - night/day so i can save them as 24-bit bmp :confused:

Thank you verry much!

Someone from Holland
Download this. The icons are in the SDKregistry folder. ;)

Sure thing. Here is my custom menu:

----------- BEGIN TomTom.mnu ------------------
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1| Just a Filler|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_PREF|BTM_DONE|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2| Navigation|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3| Route|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4| POIs-Favorites|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_CONFIGURE_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE5|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE5| Preferences|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOLUME|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PROMPT|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_COMPASS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_TOLL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE6|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE6| Information|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_SOUND|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ABOUT|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_EMPTY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
-------------------END TomTom.mnu -----------------------------

Just copy this (not including the BEGIN and END statements), paste it into a text file, and save the text file as "TomTom.mnu".

Then, attach your TomTom to your computer and create a directory in the root of the TomTom called "sdkregistry". Place the TomTom.mnu in this directory.

Then, simply disconnect the TomTom and when it reboots it will have the new menus.

To switch back to the original Easy Menu, attach it back to your computer and rename the TomTom.mnu file to something else such as Tom.mnu. The default menus will then load.

This menu works perfectly on my XL350. I have not tested it on anything else, but I assume anything with the EasyMenu should work with this.
I just tried this on my XXL 550 TM and no full menu. i've tried three times and nothing, wish i could get it to work, i might take the TOMTOM back where i got it.

Thanks for you help.

Make sure you have got show file extensions turned on on the computer otherwise its quite easy to end up with TomTom.mnu.txt without even realising it, if you have got the incorrect double file extension the device won't see the custom menu - Mike

Make sure you have got show file extensions turned on on the computer otherwise its quite easy to end up with TomTom.mnu.txt without even realising it, if you have got the incorrect double file extension the device won't see the custom menu - Mike

Thanks got it.

Add the following to your menu text file:

TASK_SET_VOICE

This will get the switch voice option back, AFAIK its not possible to chage the car icon from a custom menu, change it with the normal menu before switching over to the custom menu - Mike

Should it look like this MENUITEM|TASK_SET_VOICE, if so where in the Menu would be the best place for it???

This is new to me, sorry all the questions.

Thanks

Ask a Question