XL330S tips not wanted

I have a XL330S when I start to type an address in, a TIP pops up telling me something or elase. How do I turn that feature OFF in this model?

If that device is anything like some of the more recent XL units we have seen in Europe the only to disable "Tips" is to run a custon menu on the device that contains the option to enable/ disable tips, make the selection then remove the custom menu - talk about stupidity, but it does work even though its quite a bit of effort - Mike

Thats exactly the point on these devices there is no option to be found on the device to turn tips off, the only way I did this on one of my XL units was to add a custom menu to the device make the selection then remove the menu, if you need some help on menu text and how to install it to the unit just ask - Mike

Thats exactly the point on these devices there is no option to be found on the device to turn tips off, the only way I did this on one of my XL units was to add a custom menu to the device make the selection then remove the menu, if you need some help on menu text and how to install it to the unit just ask - Mike

I need help with this issue as well.And I have 2 of them.Anyone know how to fix this issue,
Thanks Eddie

Last edited:
Appologies for the late reply but I haven't been on the forums as much for a few days due to family reasons, I will post up how to do the disable tips on these units when I get home later tonight, it's not viable posting a detailed set of instructions from an iPhone! It is possible to turn the tips off though - Mike

First of all you will need to copy and paste the following bold text into NotePad on your computer:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_DOC_BROWSER|
MENUITEM|TASK_SWITCH_TIPS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

Save the text file to your computers desk top, call the file TomTom.txt

Right click the file and select re-name, change the file extension from .txt to .mnu Windows will tell you thats not a good idea etc - Just OK the warnings to ignore them.

Right click the file and select "Copy"

With the device connected to the computer use Windows Explorer to open the drive letter associated with the device and look for the folder named "SDKRegistry" (without the "") if it doesn't exist on the device simply create the folder with the exact same spelling, pay attention to the upper/ lower case for each letter.

Right click on the SDKRegistry folder and select "Paste"

Disconnect the device from the computer and switch it on, you should find a rather strange menu on the device, but on page three will be the option to turn off tips.

Once you have done this you need to get the normal menu back on the device, connect the TomTom to the PC and use Windows Explorer to open the folders on the device, you need to open the SDKRegistry folder then right click the TomTom.mnu file and choose rename, change it to "Old_TomTom.mnu" then disconnect from the computer, when the device re-boots it will have the normal menu back on it.

As an alternate to that little lot it might be possible to disable tips if you connect to the Home application and use the "operate my go" option as I have heard that offers the hide tips option although I don't know about this myself as I never use TomTom Home unless absolutely unavoidable - Mike

Mike you are the man thx a buch for your help.Had to copy it from here for some reason my email put in * and the beginning and end so it wasnt working but when I came on the site they werent any astericks.So Im great now.Will no more tomm when I test it. :D

Their is an option in the Change Preference menu called "Hide Tips" Should have a Red X going through it. If it does, tap it and it'll change to "Show Tips" which means that tips is disabled.

Tested this on a One 3rd, GO 930, and a Rider v2

Ask a Question