XL330S Driving in left field.

I'll be driving along on a major highway, in the open with clear sky views (including out in the desert), when suddenly the display jumps and it says I'm way off to the right in the blank green spaces, and hollers "TURN LEFT" to get me back to the road I'm already on. I've had this unit six months, and it has only been recently that it has started acting up like this. Restarting ended up losing the satellites for about 20 minutes. Both problems have occurred several times. Today I downloaded the quickfix file mentioned elsewhere, but until I go on the road for an extended time, there's no way to know if this has cured the intermittent problem. Is this a common phenomenon for these units or is this something for warranty repair? I'm assuming my other glitches, such as being told to turn right onto railroad tracks (no road anywhere around) and "arriving" at a spot that is seven miles from my destination are database foibles and not a software error. Correct? Thanks for any enlightenment. -- Houn

Sometimes, resetting the unit can help but often a combination of poor satellite signal and faulty mapping yields crazy results at times.

Today I downloaded the quickfix file mentioned elsewhere, but until I go on the road for an extended time, there's no way to know if this has cured the intermittent problem. Is this a common phenomenon for these units or is this something for warranty repair?
If your problem happened last weekend only, then you may have been caught in the issue that affected many people with a bad quickgpsfix file. If downloading a new corrected quickgpsfix file fixed the issue, then I wouldn't worry about your device. It's probably functioning fine.

I'm assuming my other glitches, such as being told to turn right onto railroad tracks (no road anywhere around) and "arriving" at a spot that is seven miles from my destination are database foibles and not a software error. Correct? Thanks for any enlightenment. -- Houn
Yes, those are typically bad map database issues. You can use mapshare to fix the railroad, and to move POIs to different spots. Also, if those issues are corrected in the latest Google map, you may want to pay for an updated map database.

Ask a Question