XL330 - Questions

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330
I'm a GPS n00b and just received a TomTom XL330 as a gift. I think that this will be very useful, once I find a decent place to mount it.

There are some things that I don't understand...

When I first got the TomTom, I was able to choose "computer voices", now this option is not accesible on the TomTom. It would be nice to be able to have street names read out as I'm travelling, so I'd like to get this capability back.

One of the first thing I did with my TomTom was to load the software, update the maps, software and firmware. The device was not able to lock onto the GPS signal, so I did a "reset to defaults" on the TomTom. I think that's when I lost the voice capability.

Now, I find that there is an "s" version of the XL330. My packaging does not show any "S" in the model number, so I assume that I don't have one.

Can the XL330 be firmware updated to a XL330S? Are there any other unofficial updates that can be done to this GPS?

Thanks!

The 330 cannot be upgraded to a 330S using software.

I find it interesting, though, that you said you could at one time select computer voices. If so, did you actually get the voice to speak street names?

When you said you did a bunch of things when you first got the unit, was one of them a complete Explorer backup?

Connect your unit to Home and use Home's menu option for System Information. what kind of unit does it show?

Sorry for the slow reply...
I find it interesting, though, that you said you could at one time select computer voices. If so, did you actually get the voice to speak street names?
I could select the voices, but I never had a chance to try having it read street names before I reset it to defaults.

When you said you did a bunch of things when you first got the unit, was one of them a complete Explorer backup?
No. I didn't realize that I should to a backup. Wish I had though.

Connect your unit to Home and use Home's menu option for System Information. what kind of unit does it show?
Home is version 2.5.2.60
Installed addons are Map status indicator 1.5.1, TomTom HOME default theme 1.0.1, Emulator 8.010.9369.1
Name = TomTom XL
DeviceName=TomTom XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL (v9)
BootLoaderVersion=55011
LinuxVersion=190943
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
The part number on the bottom of the device is: 4EG0.001.00
The part number on the bottom of the packaging is:5EG0.052.00

Ask a Question