XL-S missing TTS voices

i am missing all the TTS voices on my TT XL-S. i originally had Susan when booting it up but she now went missing. what can i do to get her back

Hmm...what's with all the XL*S having problems with the TTS voices:confused:

Were you able to make a backup before this problem happened?

How about when you connect to HOME 2.1, go to Computer voices, does it show a voice installed on your device?

ah, i see how easy it is to download computer voices from tomtom home 2.1, its just an issue of free memory, which i don't have! thanks!

The issue with TomTom Home 2.x is that it doesn't recognize that the XL-S has 64mb RAM. If you look at the information screen while connected with Home, it will show 32Mb RAM.
Keith

Add my voice to the "where are the electronic" tts voices outcry.

Turns out, at least in my experience, the tts voices are an "extra" that tomtom didn't provide enough memory to contain in the "as delivered" ram.

Apparently we have to buy a card to take advantage of the feature that we paid an extra hundred bucks to get in the first place.

Add my voice to the "where are the electronic" tts voices outcry.

Turns out, at least in my experience, the tts voices are an "extra" that tomtom didn't provide enough memory to contain in the "as delivered" ram.

Apparently we have to buy a card to take advantage of the feature that we paid an extra hundred bucks to get in the first place.

Not necessarily, Susan (computer voice) works fine for me. It really sounds like you've got a problem and the problem is common enough to warrant a call to customer service. It sounds like whatever you find out will be helpful to quite a few people.

@matt
What do you mean by missing ? If you go to Change Voices do you still can choose Susan again, or is it not there or greyed out ?

Not necessarily, Susan (computer voice) works fine for me. It really sounds like you've got a problem and the problem is common enough to warrant a call to customer service. It sounds like whatever you find out will be helpful to quite a few people.

Well, here's what I've experienced:

(...and I gotta admit up front that I don't love computers and electronic gadgets)

Enroute driving, it does a great job of alerting me to upcoming turns, arrival at destination, etc. I don't hear street names, though. Shouldn't I be?

When I did my first tt/home backup on Thurs or Fri night, however, I clicked on the "voices" link and discovered that I don't have the tts voices installed, or so it would lead you to believe. When I attempted to download an electronic voice, it said that I don't have enough memory - something like 16 meg short. So I says...well, you can imagine.

Entirely possible that I've missed the point somewhere or overlooked something. (I'm dang near 60 so this stuff is not intuitive for me like it is for the succeeding generation) What can I say? I've only had the thing a week this coming Wednesday.

If it takes me a year to learn it - so be it.

I have to tell ya - you folks on this forum have been great so if you'll hang in there a little longer with the old goat, I'll be grateful. ;)

I think I was wrong about the voices

That invites some fun stuff but I'll leave it alone for now...

Anyway...as I was leaving the airport today tomtom told me to turn left on Democrat...the voice that I wanted to download must have been there all the time. I feel so guilty.

Later, on the same drive, she told me to turn left on Lamar though I could have sworn she pronounced it Luh-mah-ruh.

I'll have to listen a little more closely.

Anyway folks, sorry for all the earlier blather and my sincerest apologies to the lovely lady in my TomTom box.

Ask a Question