Xerox Ads

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
The Xerox overlay ads here are becoming VERY annoying. Please advise the site owner on my behalf.

In fact, it's getting about as annoying as the Southwest Airline "woman won't let man push floor button in elevator" ads. I really don't NEED to buy a Xerox ColorQube MFP. REALLY!

FYI: These ads are covering pages about 50% of the time in a semi-opaque manner, and the "Close" is not at first at all evident. Moreover, I'd never recommend to anyone that they click on anything produced by what appears to be a popup or rollover or whatever. Too much chance for mischief.

Here, have another one...

Attachments

• Xerox.jpg
    Xerox.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 477
Many thanks, and thanks to Mr. Phillips for looking into this on Monday.

At times, it actually prevents a user from entering typed data after closing the ad... at least that's been my experience with Firefox 3.0.10. Haven't tried it with IE as yet.

On the whole, it's best not to have to click in ad fields to make them go away. Granted, I doubt the Xerox ad contains anything nasty, but if something cannot be closed simply by going to the bottom bar, right clicking on a pop-up entry and hitting close, it can be used as an affirmative action by a user to cause something untoward to happen.

While I'm here -- does anyone else see that the "Smilies" group to the right side of the text box (the one I'm typing in at present) overlays the "Latest Threads" area? Trying to hit one will as easily get you the other by mistake.

YIKES! It's become far worse. A different and totally opaque overlay that sometimes prevents mouse action anywhere on the screen except the ad. The only way to use the site again is to click on the ad box which opens up their larger ad another browser window. Only after that will the TomTom page see the mouse and respond.

Two examples provided, again using Firefox 3.0.10. One for the Horseshoe, and one for Microsoft.

Attachments

• Horseshoe.jpg
    Horseshoe.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 453
  • Microsoft.jpg
    Microsoft.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
FYI: I am now blocking all ads from atdmt at this site. That seems to have cleaned up the latter problem, although I'm sure that's not the way the ad agency or atdmt would like it.

It's easy enough to block content from any 3rd party. I'll let them display their wares on my screen providing they are well behaved. I fully appreciate that this is what pays for a lot of what goes on out here in web land. However, once they start to abuse the privilege, they get blocked.

I hope Rob (the admin) can work with his agency to get the problem resolved. I don't see the ads here in the Toronto area. Also, I use IE7, so that may be a factor. Dunno.

Hang in there........

FYI: The issue of the smileys laying on top of the "Latest Threads" looks like this:

Attachments

• Smiley Overlay.jpg
    Smiley Overlay.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 419
If you click on the forum TomTom News, do you see the same screwed up format, canderson?

I've been noticing it all day today (even as I type this). Using Chrome right now but will try with IE

If you click on the forum TomTom News, do you see the same screwed up format, canderson?
You mean the Smilies overlay of the Latest Threads? I don't know. It only happens while I am attempting to enter a message, and I don't enter them there since I don't have any TT News! Would you like me to attempt it?

Side note: this issue seems not to show up with IE7, but does show up with Firefox 3.0.10.

Evidently the discussions earlier this week were fruitful. I've seen no more of the sort of thing I was posting about over the weekend. The smilies still overlay when I'm entering messages from Firefox, though.

Attachments

• OverlayS.jpg
    OverlayS.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 380
Evidently the discussions earlier this week were fruitful. I've seen no more of the sort of thing I was posting about over the weekend. The smilies still overlay when I'm entering messages from Firefox, though.

I get the exact same issue here as I type this message :) Sometimes I'll accidentally click on a link to the right when I actually mean to click a smiley.

Bring back the old site!!! :mad:

overlay.jpg

I get the exact same issue here as I type this message :) Sometimes I'll accidentally click on a link to the right when I actually mean to click a smiley.

Bring back the old site!!! :mad:

I agree. I have the same problem. Plus that Latest Thread on the right and the ads there also, Looks awful and makes everything look so small. I used to come here alot even with the spam posts that showed up but not so much anymore and being a forum owner myself, This site is not user friendly what so ever anymore if you ask me and looks way way to busy with ads and . Its a shame what happened to it.

Get rid of the latest threads thing! If you want to see the latest threads, Just click on the quick links up top and hit New Posts or better yet, Just click on New Posts at the bottom of every page. :)

***end rant***

Sorry...

Ask a Question