Windshield mount.......Cold weather..

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom 1 LE
Well, I cleaned the window, attached and pushed down on the windshield mount and the TT1 fell off the window about 5 minutes later...:eek:
I will be getting the "sand bag" holder in the future, but, what is the trick to cold weather mounting the windshield mount? Do you warm up the inside of the car first? Wet the suction mount with a damp cloth?? I'm guessing it has to do with the outside temp......

Thanks,

Jim

Installed mine yesterday in 32 degree temp with the car cold outside. Still on. The instructions say dry and clean.

If the mount has been in your car, it will be freezing too. The rubber has to be warmed up a bit to be more flexible. A bit of spit seems to help too.:D

Jim, I also cleaned the window profusely with rubbing alcohol.. Have had the TomTom mounted to the window for 4 weeks straight now (with temperatures ranging from 38 to -5 degrees)........no issues

Just make sure the rubbing alcohol dries completely before adhering. I did clean the suction cup as well and then did a breathe of air to give it a tad moisture.

If warming the suction cup doesn't help - try this...

Well, I cleaned the window, attached and pushed down on the windshield mount and the TT1 fell off the window about 5 minutes later...:eek:

I keep some of these little eyeglass cleaner wipes in the car for just such occasions. The little foil packaged wipes leave just enough moisture behind on the suction cup to make a very solid mount.

I get good adhesion at 30-degrees and below.

Wiper.gif

I have the sandbag with the windshield mount on it. Same problem, it falls off, only difference is it does not hit the floor. The sand bag works great with a Ford Explorer and is eye level, no rings on windshield for thief to see.

Tucker,

That's reallly bad to hear...I have another suction mount that has a "lever" on the rubber part that when you push it down it really sticks to the window, too bad the TT didn't use that.

Jim

That's what I did today and it worked fine.....I went to Best Buy to look for the "Clam Shell" case, but they were out...They did have a suction mount that takes the TT about 6-7" away from the window on a flex arm, that unit has the lever at the suction cup for a really good hold...But, I have used those mounts in the past and when you use a 6-7" flex arm as you are driving the unit "bounces" all over the place...

Jim

place the mount on the windshield first then the ONE.
Do not place the ONE on the mount then attach it to the windshield.

I have the sandbag with the windshield mount on it. Same problem, it falls off, only difference is it does not hit the floor. The sand bag works great with a Ford Explorer and is eye level, no rings on windshield for thief to see.

Which sandbag do you have? Where did you buy it? How much?

Ask a Question