Attach alternate car dock TT740 to windshield mount

Does anybody know if it is possible to safely remove the TT740 windshield mount base from the docking part at that swivel ball area, and the attach an alternate with the three connections vice just the usb?

Thought I had read somewhere about it was, but maybe talking about Garmin and I don't want to screw anything up.:confused:

Can you explain what you are trying to do more clearly - taking the mount off the screen sucker is easy and is something I have done a few times by now, I will post up some pictures later - The only reason I took it to bits was to fit it to a Brodit Pro-Clip and attach it to the dashboard doing away with the screen sucker part all together - Mike

Can you explain what you are trying to do more clearly - taking the mount off the screen sucker is easy and is something I have done a few times by now, I will post up some pictures later - The only reason I took it to bits was to fit it to a Brodit Pro-Clip and attach it to the dashboard doing away with the screen sucker part all together - Mike
Here in US our standard auto adapter does not include the three ports as does the euro version. Ours only has the mini-usb connector. I got my hands on a euro version via pro-clip, but I don't like the way the proclip mount fits in my Highlander. Forces dash trim far apart, not anywhere near as clean a fit as your proclip mount in your car. So I was thinking, in case I had to put up with using the windshield sucker, at least I could use the euro mount.

Chuck

Now I fully understand what you are trying to do and why!

Pop back to this thread in a couple of hours and I will have added some pictures and instructions, its certainly possible to do what you want - Mike

Sorry for the delay but I opened a bottle of Port and didn't think it was a good idea to write this up half sozzled last night!!! (Good excuse as it was my Birthday), anyway enough chatter lets look at taking the mount to bits

Bear in mind the objective here was to turn the windscreen mount in to a dash mount using a Brodit Pro-Clip but it should show you enough to achieve what you want to do.

First off the Brodit Pro-Clip with a TomTom "Ball" Attached and the donor mount:

Look at the rear of the mount and you will see two Torx head screws (size T6) remove the two screws:

Using your thumb nails seperate the front face from the mount, it doesn't take much force but is a little bit fiddly:

Remove the four T6 Torx screws that are retaining the "ball" cover plate:

The ball cover plate can now be simply pulled off the ball and set to one side:

Remove the three Torx screws that are retaining the rear ball cover.

This component is also retained to the housing by the one slightly larger "Tab" that sits in a slot at the bottom of the mount, Once its free from the actual mount simply pull this off the main ball using a little force, the mount is now fully in bits:

Reassembly is quite staight forwards, position the main housing over the Ball.

Push the rear ball cover over the ball, make sure the larger tab is correctly seated in its slot and secure with three T6 screws:

Puch the ball front cover plate back on and secure with four T6 srews:

Put the main cover back on and secure with the final two screws in the rear of the mount, here it is shown attached to a vent clip:

Finally with the device in the car:

If you get stuck just post back with some questions, I would start by taking the original mount to bits before you mess around with the accessory mount with three sockets as this will give you a better idea as to whats involved - Mike

Sorry for the delay but I opened a bottle of Port and didn't think it was a good idea to write this up half sozzled last night!!! (Good excuse as it was my Birthday), anyway enough chatter lets look at taking the mount to bits

Bear in mind the objective here was to turn the windscreen mount in to a dash mount using a Brodit Pro-Clip but it should show you enough to achieve what you want to do.

First off the Brodit Pro-Clip with a TomTom "Ball" Attached and the donor mount:

Look at the rear of the mount and you will see two Torx head screws (size T6) remove the two screws:

Using your thumb nails seperate the front face from the mount, it doesn't take much force but is a little bit fiddly:

Remove the four T6 Torx screws that are retaining the "ball" cover plate:

The ball cover plate can now be simply pulled off the ball and set to one side:

Remove the three Torx screws that are retaining the rear ball cover.

This component is also retained to the housing by the one slightly larger "Tab" that sits in a slot at the bottom of the mount, Once its free from the actual mount simply pull this off the main ball using a little force, the mount is now fully in bits:

Reassembly is quite staight forwards, position the main housing over the Ball.

Push the rear ball cover over the ball, make sure the larger tab is correctly seated in its slot and secure with three T6 screws:

Puch the ball front cover plate back on and secure with four T6 srews:

Put the main cover back on and secure with the final two screws in the rear of the mount, here it is shown attached to a vent clip:

Finally with the device in the car:

If you get stuck just post back with some questions, I would start by taking the original mount to bits before you mess around with the accessory mount with three sockets as this will give you a better idea as to whats involved - Mike

This is excellent.

In the meantime, though, I have tried attaching the winshield sucker to my windshield anywhere (except up top by the rear view mirror) and find (1) my eyes are too bad (2) my arms are too short (3) significant blockage of road view (really love user guide showing unit stuck to middle of windshield with magic wireless power and signal connection) :D

Problem I have with the ProClip vehicle specific mount relates to my dealer installing optional Toyota "wood" trim in dash area. The PC mount is shaped, notched and grooved to fit the as delivered model. So I took out my handy-dandy set of micro files and sand paper and set to work. I am still not going to drill holes in my car to permanently provide route for power or for optional MP3 in and audio out cables, but at least now I have PC car mount and TT holder all working together and stable in my car.

So we shall see if they remain that way through the heat of Summer here in Las Vegas.

I am for sure printing and saving your instructions!!!!

Many, many, many thanks!!! :D

Ask a Question