Where are the maps?

When you buy a new TomTom does it come with a backup copy of the maps? I got my v2 a few weeks ago and just plugged it into the computer today. When I put the cd in and go to the appropriate section in Home it just says there are voices and satellite images on the cd. Do you not get a backup copy of the maps? And if that's correct, then what happens if it crashes? Is the backup I made the only way to restore it?

For reference the version listed on my product code card is TomTom One New Edition US & Canada. It has the card slot but the maps were preloaded on the internal memory.

P.S. On a side note, I was reading the thread about how to get the new 6.75 upgrade for the E's. I have a C serial, is this something that will eventually filter down to everyone or should I grab it with the method from the stickey thread?

Hello Scott and welcome.
Unfortunately, the maps on are on a cd. The backup is the key if your unit crashes.

The upgrade you read was regarding the Navcore 7 software update, not maps. Currently, there is a difficult time to purchase the 6.75 maps with TomTom North America.

Thanks for the help Pedro. Too bad about the maps, I guess I'll just have to make sure nothing happens to my backups.

In terms of 6.75 though, the update will allow me to make corrections in my neighborhood right? There are some addresses that are off that I'd like to fix. My girlfriend constantly gets lost and sometimes I can't even tell her to use the GPS cause it gets her to the wrong spot! :eek:

I guess I'm just confused about exactly what people are upgrading. I read the thread on tricking home into finding the updates. Are people paying for that? I mainly just want to be able to use the map correction feature. I read in the thread about it being a rolling implementation. I don't need it immediately, but rather just want to make sure it's something that eventually will show up in Home for me, if I don't actively seek it out.

I read in the thread about it being a rolling implementation. I don't need it immediately, but rather just want to make sure it's something that eventually will show up in Home for me, if I don't actively seek it out.

Your device will eventually be updated by TT Home. As you may know, the upgraded ability to adjust the maps via MapShare will not be available unless you purchase the 6.75 map set, or TomTom starts offering the version 7 maps.

The only TT1 system version "officially" being upgraded now is on devices that have a "Z" as the first character of the serial number. Devices with an "E" can use the "sticky" procedure...for now. I haven't heard anything about the "C" prefixed units yet.

Your device will eventually be updated by TT Home. As you may know, the upgraded ability to adjust the maps via MapShare will not be available unless you purchase the 6.75 map set, or TomTom starts offering the version 7 maps.

The only TT1 system version "officially" being upgraded now is on devices that have a "Z" as the first character of the serial number. Devices with an "E" can use the "sticky" procedure...for now. I haven't heard anything about the "C" prefixed units yet.

WHY ALL THE HASSLES? This all seems like such a hassle for a unit I've owned for 7 days. Like the other guy said, you can't even buy the maps, there is only upgrades for certain units with certain serial numbers. According to everything I read, I just bought a brand new unit with already out-dated maps that contain few points of interests. Maybe Best Buy need this thing back. It just seems like alot of drama for all this.

jhart,

I feel your pain man. I think TomTom will be missing out on a major opportunity to seize the market with their new MapShare feature if they don't offer a free upgrade to all existing TomTom device owners. At the very least, they should start pledging up-to-date maps with every unit. If I hadn't gotten my TomTom for $144, I probably would have returned it for something else by now.

The map issue is a major pain. My TT is only 2 months old with the Z ser # but does not have the current maps needed for Map share.

You might want to protect your maps by backing them up to a CD / DVD or even a spare 1 gig SD card if you have one hanging around

Ask a Question