WARNING!! --> Potential Removal of Features Coming

Birdman

birdmen
TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 920
Hello Everyone,

I have come across some information regarding upcoming firmare updates to the 720.

My disclaimer is that this information at this point is heresay, but potentially troubling for 720 users, so I am only writing this as a precaution.

There is information circulating out there that the North American version of the GO720 was never supposed to have Automatic Voice Recognition enabled. The rumors are stating that a firmware update is in the mix and may arrive as early as next week that would disable this feature.

I would advise everyone to keep a backup of your current TomTom files so that you can simply copy over and overwrite the update if this truly does occur.

Again, no one has verified this information is even the slightest bit accurate, but if it is, it is good to be ready.

It truly would be unfortunate if TomTom did make this mistake and then is going to 'punish' it's GO720 community by removing this feature. If they inadvertently released the product with this feature, they should continue to support it...

Advice for all, for what it is worth...

Hello Everyone,

I have come across some information regarding upcoming firmare updates to the 720.

My disclaimer is that this information at this point is heresay, but potentially troubling for 720 users, so I am only writing this as a precaution.

There is information circulating out there that the North American version of the GO720 was never supposed to have Automatic Voice Recognition enabled. The rumors are stating that a firmware update is in the mix and may arrive as early as next week that would disable this feature.

I would advise everyone to keep a backup of your current TomTom files so that you can simply copy over and overwrite the update if this truly does occur.

Again, no one has verified this information is even the slightest bit accurate, but if it is, it is good to be ready.

It truly would be unfortunate if TomTom did make this mistake and then is going to 'punish' it's GO720 community by removing this feature. If they inadvertently released the product with this feature, they should continue to support it...

Advice for all, for what it is worth...

Maybe we should all call and complain. I bet threats from several people saying that they
would return their units would get their attention. The new dash gps looks sweet.

Last edited:
actually the last time i talked to tomtom, they told me there were working on a way of adding vr to a new update...forgot what they told me was the problem but they said they were going to add it

actually the last time i talked to tomtom, they told me there were working on a way of adding vr to a new update...forgot what they told me was the problem but they said they were going to add it

Uh, 920's HAD VR; 720's got VR with a hack and later ones came with VR out of the box. It was firmware 7.480 that killed it.

I'd heed the Birdman's warning ...

im just saying what i was told....they told me they were working on an update to provide every 720 with vr....is 7.48 for 920's and 720's?...cuz if not...why would they do work and change the style of the vr...ie, adding the speaker meter...

im just saying what i was told....they told me they were working on an update to provide every 720 with vr....is 7.48 for 920's and 720's?...cuz if not...why would they do work and change the style of the vr...ie, adding the speaker meter...

Don't forget, the European x20 models ALWAYS had VR. Only the NA 920 models had that feature. The NA 720's never were meant to have it. Any cosmetic changes implemented were geared towards those European x20 users and NA 920 users.

The 7.480 upgrade killed VR for both NA models. Think TT doesn't want to revive it for 720 but does for 920 users.

Uh, 920's HAD VR; 720's got VR with a hack and later ones came with VR out of the box. It was firmware 7.480 that killed it.

I'd heed the Birdman's warning ...

Out of curiosity just what software changes were in 7.480 other than the killing of VR? Has anyone noticed any major differences? I find it difficult to understand why they would go through all of this trouble to defeat the VR especially since the newer units being purchased have the VR installed. I realize that the NA units are not to have but why aggravate the owners? :mad: They know that this can be reversed by re-installing 7.22 and going from there:rolleyes:

It's all good folks. No need to worry.

solution...........

working solution: Look at Thread in Forum:TomTom GO 720 > Keeping Voice Recognition files before Updating to HOME 2.2.2.83

dump836257496.jpg

dump836257501.jpg

Last edited:
They should allow this feature if for no other reason than to make up for the buzzing handsfree bluetooth b.s. :mad:

Out of curiosity just what software changes were in 7.480 other than the killing of VR? Has anyone noticed any major differences? I find it difficult to understand why they would go through all of this trouble to defeat the VR especially since the newer units being purchased have the VR installed. I realize that the NA units are not to have but why aggravate the owners? :mad: They know that this can be reversed by re-installing 7.22 and going from there:rolleyes:

maybe they want everybody to go out & spend $$$ on the 920 :mad:

Hey wait a minute! VR is explicitly stated as a feature in the 520/720 'New Features' brochure! Page 2 under 'Even easier to use'. How can it not be there in the actual product?

I read in another thread somewhere in here...that TT was talking about removing it because it was a mistake for the NA version but not the Euro version...whats up with that

When one looks at at the company that wants to maximize profits, particularly so when the company that lowered the price in the hope that it would sell more units and have a larger share of the market, I'm not surprised to see them try to get the consumer to opt for the higher end product. TomTom's plan did not work out to their expectations and profits were down. This creates a pressure to get back to their previous profitability level. That is leading them to questionable decisions such as the voice recognition problems for the maps, getting the new models out sooner than originally planned or improperly tested, opting for not upping the internal memory size etc.

If you look at their web site's assistant to help you choose the proper model for you, it is obvious they want to sell the GO model and even more so the 9x0. Removing voice recognition to force the consumer to the higher priced/profit 9x0 is to be expected. It also means smaller map sizes to download and less bandwidth to pay for.

That's it, TomTom want's to promote it's sales by screwing it's customers. Some people are so full of themselves!!!

The Go 720 model was never intended to have the VR feature in the states, the Go 920 was. They, as in TomTom, are working on getting it FULLY FUNCTIONAL on both models, as well as the 730 and 930 which are out now.

Stop crying about silly shit people.

Ask a Question