WARNING: Explicit TomTom Voices

Boobalooblie,

I am afraid that it is you who has completely missed the point. As Pedro2NR pointed out in post #6, these are NOT TomTom voices!

If you don't like them, don't get them.

In the name of the Almighty Ra (the only true God), why exactly do you think that TomTom should step in to 'moderate' another private companies 'user-submitted content'? Seriously, have you complained to the DoD because there is all sorts of filth on the internet that they created?? Is it the job of the DoD to label everything on the internet?

And, I would like to echo the sentiment expressed by many others here, it is not the responsibility of any private company (or of society for that matter) to protect your children, it is your job. Furthermore, your morals are not necessarily the same as everyone else's, whatever you may think. There are no 'natural laws of morality', quite the reverse in fact.

/rant

Good thing there are proponents of free speech here, or I'd be toast! I forgot about that rule: you can talk about morality as long as you don't say the "J" word. You can even use Him in an avatar, just don't quote Him (even if the avatar mocks the representation of Him. That's okay, of course---as long as it's not Muhammad).

Morality and Jesus are not mutually inclusive. I have morals, but don't believe in a single omnipotent being that has a set of pearly gates that he's waiting to welcome me through. I also don't believe that there is some gnarlly red dude with horns waiting for me to join his very hot vacation spot. I can, and have, practiced being a "good" person by following the laws of the land, and doing unto others as I wish to be done upon.
And a picture is just a picture. And if I even knew what Mohammed looked like, or had a funny picture of him, that would not prevent me from using it. While doing so may draw certain ire extremist religious people (sound familiar?) I don't particularly care. I'm firm and comfortable in the way I live my life - and while I may not agree with what other people do, what they do is up to them, and if they can live with their conscience - then fine. They don't have to answer to me unless they affect my life in some valid, and negative way.

Listen... to calm the fears that the "religious right" is going to bring the GPS world to a standstill by asking for a modicum of decency, here is a suggestion sure to appease the defenders of freedom here, because you know, I can't control it:

Buy a TT 920, record your own voice making a raunchy right turn and a lustful left. Crank it up in your car so your kids can be formed in the "real" world, and go to town! Turn left, turn right, keep going in circles until your children understand the value of an open mind.

Better yet, hire Eminem to voice it for you. Your kids will love you.

:)

And if people choose to do so, then fine let them. But don't turn around and condemn them for it aftwards. It is their choice - just like it is your choice to not to.

I do not think that TT should screen every possible Voice that gets submitted, but I do believe that a warning about possibly explicit words should pop up prior to allowing entry into the voices section. Probably into the images section as well... A pretty woman with long hair may offend some sectors of people as well...
But to censor everything is NOT the way to go. Again, intolerance of others causes strife and war.

But to censor everything is NOT the way to go. Again, intolerance of others causes strife and war.

What a strange, strange thread this has become. Who is imposing their beliefs? Who is imposing their standards? Is merely stating one's belief an act of imposing, as suggested here by the "tolerant"? How ironic!

The intolerance of "tolerance!"

Are readers here offended when they see "PG-13" come up on the screen before a movie advertisement..."Who is Hollywood to impose their standards on me??" No, we all accept that certain content is not appropriate for children or perhaps for those who simply aren't interested in it. Yet, to suggest that TomTom---in their consumer setup software---label rated "R" Voices for those who do not wish to hear them by accident, is somehow a restriction of freedom, is in itself the most narrow-minded and imposing viewpoint here, not to mention irresponsible.

The intolerance of tolerance!

Neither have I said anything about censoring---only warning. TT Home is not a public forum but TomTom's exclusive customer browser for those who use their systems. If it were my company, I would want to respect ALL my customers, make them all feel welcome. (How intolerant of me!)

Thanks for your opinions; I respect your right to say what you wish, and I will defend that right with my life. This thread, more than anything, however, shows Western culture's need for a "GPS of the soul."

This topic has gone too far from what it originally started from.
Let's move along, I would hate to close this thread.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. My name is Courtney and my goal today is to provide you with an exceptional customer experience.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We frequently use customer feedback as an initiative to add or change our Navigational and usage features. Your comments will be forwarded to our product development team for review.

Please let us know if you have additional suggestions or feedback.

There it is Pedro. (Who'd have thunk this thread would become a moral debate? I did. Christians can't blink without someone being offended today. Thanks for your patience!)

Last edited:
Interesting discussion.
I originally saw the some of the above mentioned 'rude' voices on one of the 3rd party sites and knew what they were.
My son (being a consummate hacker) obtained a fair number of different voices, I sampled a few and was not impressed with any of them, all are deleted and I'm sticking with TT's Catherine, thank you very much :)

shut it

Bobaloo,
If you didn't take the time to read the title of this site, it is "TomTomForums.com - UNOFFICIAL SITE OF TOMTOM for North America". This is not TomTom's corporate site. You need to redirect you indignation elsewhere. This is a user community. All you're doing by fanning flames in this forum is making the forums a less friendly place to be. Please STOP IT.

My letter to TomTom:

I have been browsing the Voices through the TomTom web browser, and must say I am shocked and disappointed. There was abusive and sexual language that my kids could have heard. There was no warning that there was explicit language in some of these voices.

Do you not screen the voices that you post there? Is TomTom not concerned about the dignity of its products, not to mention its customers?

I highly suggest you screen the Voices you post there, and mark them explicit for those whose minds require such input.

I am awaiting your response. I am still in a 30 day trial of your product, and am considering returning it if you do not reconsider the obscenity on your browser.

And to top it off, did you know...

...that my TT XL can't pronounce San Diego or San Pedro, but that the
<name>TT.lex files e.g. DaveTT.lex on every TTS enabled TT contain these pronunciation exceptions to make sure these words come out right:

DaveTT.lex
; This file contains abbreviations, acronyms, symbols that are expanded by
; the TTS.

"Osama bin Laden" = "\fHOU-s-`Aa:-m-HEh-b-I-n-l-`Aa:-d-HEh-n"
"Osama Bin Laden's" = "\fHOU-s-`Aa:-m-HEh-b-I-n-l-`Aa:-d-HEh-n-z"
"bin Laden" = "\fb-I-n-l-`Aa:-d-Hn"
"AK-47" = "\f`HEI-kh-HEI-f-`Oa:-Hr-th-i-s-`E-v-HEh-n"
"boytoy" = "\fb-`HOI-th-HOI":confused:
"cli(edit)es" = "\fkh-l-`I-th-HEh-Hr-I-s":eek:
"teargas" = "\fth-`I-Hr-g-Ae-s"

What in the world would have to happen to make my XL use these?? What if kids are in the car? TomTom is refusing comment btw.

Just look at the file in Word using US-ASCII

"When you download content using TomTom HOME, you are bound by some legal terms. This is a summary of those terms:
*You may not misuse the TomTom Content Service. If you do, you'll be banned...
*TomTom does not endorse any content that is being uploaded and TomTom will not be held responsible for the content offered to you."

There is a way you can Report Offensive content when you click on the "More Info" link (as shown in the attached screengrab)

attachment.php

I have noticed a few things disappear, so they ARE monitoring these...

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 723
Right CrazyCellist but does not apply to my example

"When you download content using TomTom HOME, you are bound by some legal terms. This is a summary of those terms:
*You may not misuse the TomTom Content Service. If you do, you'll be banned...
*TomTom does not endorse any content that is being uploaded and TomTom will not be held responsible for the content offered to you."

There is a way you can Report Offensive content when you click on the "More Info" link (as shown in the attached screengrab)

attachment.php

I have noticed a few things disappear, so they ARE monitoring these...

In my case the content is provided by TomTom and they have not changed the files nor replied to my numerous inquiries. FYI, there are far more outrages terms in these files, then the ones I mention. Well, abc7 thought it's a story worth looking into :)

Ask a Question