USA_Canada vs North American, what's really different?

I have the USA_Canada 710 maps.

Now can someone find out if the following address is found on the North America maps.

1766 Lanyon Drive Bartlett, IL
Address is found on Navteq maps, but not on the usa_canada teleatlats.

1.66 GB (1,791,067,780 bytes)

There are a couple of personal POI files on there, but that's a good idea of the size. Map, application, POI's, splash screen, etc.

Lots of room left, although I ordered a 4gig sd card so I can order Western_Europe 710 while the sale is still on. :)

I've got an TT 1 LE on order (picking it up this weekend). I understand that this has 1GB internal and no SD card but it has the SD slot.

The TT 1 LE and 3rd ed come with the 'latest maps' guarantee.

Now since stock the TT 1 LE and 3rd ed come with US and Canada only, am I correct to assume that if I do a 2GB 'upgrade' using an external SD card in my TT LE, that when I do a free latest maps update I'll just get the latest US+Canada maps and not the N. America map?

Sure would be nice to have more details in the maps with the N. Amer vs US+Canada maps.

I have the USA_Canada 710 maps.

Now can someone find out if the following address is found on the North America maps.

1766 Lanyon Drive Bartlett, IL
Address is found on Navteq maps, but not on the usa_canada teleatlats.

Not there, looks like an empty field west of the railroad track.

Fewer POI on 2GB maps

OK, I went through the process -went to the UK site, did the 2+ hour download of the Go 720 2GB map, got it installed on my SD card. All is well, right? Strangely, I no longer have grocery stores as points of interest... I live in Minneapolis and we have Cub foods, Byerlys, Rainbow foods, etc. Using the 2GB map (North_America_2GB v710.1584, 1225.5MB installed) i can't find them. If I pull my SD and boot up on the internal memory where I still have the stock map (USA_and_Canada v665.1293, 896.3MB installed) I can find all of them just fine. Internal and SD are both running 7.161 and home 2.1.2.121.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas?

Has anyone discovered what the cspeech files are for yet? Are they for the text to speech and therefore a waste of space when the North America mape is installed on a TomTom One?

Speech files

I read in another post somewhere that's probably what all of those speech files are for. I don't know what would happen if you started erasing all of them to create more space though. :confused:

Has anyone discovered what the cspeech files are for yet? Are they for the text to speech and therefore a waste of space when the North America mape is installed on a TomTom One?

Whoa ... are you saying that TtS doesn't work with the North American maps? And why would that be the case? Is the voice engine tied to the map or does it generate street names as they come up (or perhaps during the route planning stage)?

I assume it's programming in the device itself that allows the text to speech function to work, not just the files themselves.
I installed the North America maps on a One XL (not XLS) and no the text to speech does not work.

OK ... thought you were talking about the voices in general. There's so darned many models, it's hard to tell what features go with which one.

Ask a Question