USA_Canada vs North American, what's really different?

TomTom Model(s)
One v2
What is the exact difference between USA_Canada and North American maps?

I have a TTOne v2, it?s the model where USA_Canada were loaded on a 1gig card. I have updated to a 2gig and the 710 North_American maps. I still have the original card so I can switch back and forth. Here is a comparison of the two maps.

y1pl32rluf2Oecq84SA7lPKBY44i8rMgqecYto8MYDF9AQpoY3T4T-3gNrihvsPVD29bbxgboGZaK4TyKpE9iENww

This is a relatively established area so there should not be too many changes, however, you can see several differences. First the water features, also there is a large mall in the center; this area is now colored brown. There are also several roads now shown; these are actually parking areas.

I have noticed as I drive around town, that the new North American map shows more parking area roads, Some of these have been there for years. So I wonder if it?s the detail of the NA maps or just roads that have been added.

Can someone with the new USA_Canada 710, type in the following address and post a screen capture?

14864 Lakeside Cir
Sterling Heights, Mi

Also, about the files

As for the files, not too much difference, larger POI info. However there a numerous files, one for each state beginning, such as cspeech_CA.dat.

Any ideas?

y1pl32rluf2OedwDU7CwyTgg-wmkkbOUZ3C4FRxv2KUnWOUyPV3__IYPnMuojX5fckFx6Eao4QKGmZCvyD50evMWQ

Last edited:
My North America v6.75 map shows the same view as your 7.10 map (minus the brown coloring).

46jimbo, thanks. I guess that means the USA_Canada maps really do have less data and it's not a waste of time to go for the North_America maps. I mean being the same price and all. :)

cnode is 50MB larger and faces is >2x larger. I'd say that's significant!!

Yeah we knew the NA maps had more detail and more POIs but your comparison really is an eye-opener. The 660 maps look like a kids drawing (maybe it's because it doesn't have the black outline) while the 710 map looks more professionally drawn. (even though the roads are identical in shape lol). Even the pedestrian trails are given in 710.

Team Dougherty, thanks. I am slowly geting my mind around this thing. Now, if I could figure out what the cspeech files do?

Inquiring minds need to know, :)

Does anyone know if the North_American maps will fit on the new TT ONE 3rd edition (NOT the LE)?? I would definitely like to get those maps, but I am guessing that it is not going to fit??

Does anyone know if the North_American maps will fit on the new TT ONE 3rd edition (NOT the LE)?? I would definitely like to get those maps, but I am guessing that it is not going to fit??

The ONE Third Edition only has 1GB internal memory and the North America maps are much larger than that so it won't work unfortunately.

Is it really worth it?

So, if you have a ONE v2, is it really worth it to switch to a 2gb SD card and get the NA maps? How much space is left on the card if you do that? It just now dawned on me that the USA_Canada and North American were two different maps. Here I thought that version 710 was the most up to date and accurate map. If it's really worth it, maybe I'll have to upgrade to the SD card and but the next version of the North American map. I'm just wondering how many other files I'd be able to fit on the card. :confused:

So, if you have a ONE v2, is it really worth it to switch to a 2gb SD card and get the NA maps? How much space is left on the card if you do that? It just now dawned on me that the USA_Canada and North American were two different maps. Here I thought that version 710 was the most up to date and accurate map. If it's really worth it, maybe I'll have to upgrade to the SD card and but the next version of the North American map. I'm just wondering how many other files I'd be able to fit on the card. :confused:

1.66 GB (1,791,067,780 bytes)

There are a couple of personal POI files on there, but that's a good idea of the size. Map, application, POI's, splash screen, etc.

Lots of room left, although I ordered a 4gig sd card so I can order Western_Europe 710 while the sale is still on. :)

Ask a Question