Updating favorites and POI's on XXL-500 after switching to a smaller map.

I'm using an XXL-550 (with Lifetime Traffic and Maps) with the latest version of TomTom Home (2.30) for MacOS Monterey (12.6.6).

1) I had to change the map in my XXL-550 from USA_Canada_and_Mexico to Western_US_and_Canada because the new version of the former is now too large to fit into my device. This caused me to lose all my favorites. I restored those by copying the mapsettings.cfg file, from the backup on my computer, into the Western_US_and_Canada folder on my device. It seems to work OK, but will that cause issues? I.e., given that I've changed to a new type of map, would it be better to re-enter the Favorites from scratch? All my favorites are in the Western US, so there shouldn't be any location conflict.

2) TomTom Home gave me the option to copy over certain files from my computer, like Safety Cameras and Gas Station Prices. I did so, even though these were old files. Then I updated the device. I don't seem to be able to get the Gas Station Prices anymore; not sure about the Safety Cameras. Are either of these still available for my device? From within TomTom Home I saw there is a new Gas Station Prices app, but you have to buy it, and TomTom doesn't allow you to purchase any new software for this device.] Here's what I'm currently seeing in the device under the "Western_US_and_Canada" and "poi" folders, respectively:
1685746314349.png

1685746362156.png

3) I've still got these old Safety Cam files in the parent folder of the device, plus these two leftover folders from the old maps (which are 39.1 MB and 1.5 MB, respectively) . Not sure if they need to be deleted, just to get rid of unnecessary cruft. If I do delete them, can I just move them directly to the trash in Finder, or do they need to be deleted via the TomTom app to avoid causing corruption? [Or maybe, since the device seems to be working, I should just leave them alone. I need to be careful not to delete all the old stuff. For instance, I deleted all my old voices, and installed the current ones that it said were available for my device. I then got an error message that the current voices won't work on my machine, so I had to bring the old voices back.]
1685746731867.png

Last edited:
After making a full backup of your GPS on your computer you can delete unnecessary files on your GPS you do not need to connect your GPS to Tomtom Home to delete or add files to your GPS.

Yes, one of the gotchas with the XXL550 (indeed, all XL and XXL devices) is that it didn't include a uSD card slot, so like many units of that vintage, you're stuck with whatever will still fit into the 2GB of internal memory you've got to work with.

Well done on remembering the mapsettings.cfg file! I can't remember the last time we've had to dispense that advice here! No issues using it with the new map.

Go ahead and use Home to delete any of the old files that are no longer relevant. Less chance of accidentally deleting something that may still be relevant.

Sounds as though you've been keeping full backups of your 550, so no need to remind you of that. That's particularly important on these old Nav2 devices because back then/now, they didn't/don't keep maps 'on account' on the TT server if you lost them somehow.

Go ahead and use Home to delete any of the old files that are no longer relevant. Less chance of accidentally deleting something that may still be relevant.
Upon further investigation, it doesn't look like I can do that. Here's what Home sees. You'll notice that the two USA_Canada_and_Mexico folders aren't shown here, suggesting I'd need to use Finder to remove them.

At the same time, given that I now have 767 MB of free space, is there any harm in leaving the old files and folders there, i.e., could they interfere with the functioning of the more current versions?

Also, I'm still unclear on whether the Fuel Prices USA and Safety Camera features still function on my device. How do I determine this? I remember the Fuel Prices featue working several years ago, but can't seem to find it on my device currently.

1685828739915.png

When you say "Here's what Home sees. You'll notice that the two USA_Canada_and_Mexico folders aren't shown here, suggesting I'd need to use Finder to remove them.", you aren't thinking they're on the device full of map content, are you? Not enough room on the device for that. Or perhaps they're just empty leftover folders. If you're talking about folders on your PC, move over to the "Remove items from computer" tab. Otherwise, yes, you can delete unused, empty folders manually.

Also, I note that you appear to be using a Mac. For some reason, Apple thinks it's a good idea to have a local 'trash' on every removable storage device (including thumb drives and TomToms) rather than storing the deleted items on the computer, so emptying trash is often a necessary thing to free up space on devices with minimal spare space to begin with.

When you say "Here's what Home sees. You'll notice that the two USA_Canada_and_Mexico folders aren't shown here, suggesting I'd need to use Finder to remove them.", you aren't thinking they're on the device full of map content, are you? Not enough room on the device for that. Or perhaps they're just empty leftover folders. If you're talking about folders on your PC, move over to the "Remove items from computer" tab. Otherwise, yes, you can delete unused, empty folders manually.
They're actually none of those. They're not on my Mac, they're on the XXL. [More precisely, I'm referring to the ones on my XXL; they should also be on my Mac, since that's where I've backed up my XXL.] And while they obviously can't contain the full maps, they're not empty either. As I mentioned earlier, they are 39.1 MB and 1.5 MB, respectively. Thus I would describe them as "non-empty leftover folders".

I assume they are unused (even though they are non-empty), and that it would thus be OK to delete them manually.

Here's what's in them. Again, this is in my XXL, not on my Mac:

1685844793769.png

Also, I note that you appear to be using a Mac. For some reason, Apple thinks it's a good idea to have a local 'trash' on every removable storage device (including thumb drives and TomToms) rather than storing the deleted items on the computer, so emptying trash is often a necessary thing to free up space on devices with minimal spare space to begin with.
That is a good point. I checked the Trash folder on the XXL, and it is indeed empty.

Last edited:

Ask a Question