Why Does Updating Maps Move Them From SD Card To Device Memory

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50, Via 62 & 6100
I have a couple of TomToms with World maps. I have all of the maps loaded neatly on the added 32 Gb SD card, leaving the device memory free for all the other stuff. Why oh why is that every time there are map updates the updated maps are put onto the device, completely filling it's memory and leaving the card relatively empty.
Surely this is an issue that could be easily put right by TomTom?

Yes, the general rule of thumb is that if it fits in internal memory, that's where it will go.
Your 6100 only has 8GB of internal memory, which is barely enough to handle Western Europe these days, if even that. So if you are loading the 'world', you won't get much more than W. Europe in internal anyway, and the rest will necessarily go to the uSD card.

Am curious - what do you mean by "free for all the other stuff"? The firmware isn't even 500MB. Are you also carrying a great many custom POI files, or ??? Apart from voices, there's not much else you can add to your device to try to fill 8GB.

Yes, the general rule of thumb is that if it fits in internal memory, that's where it will go.
Your 6100 only has 8GB of internal memory, which is barely enough to handle Western Europe these days, if even that. So if you are loading the 'world', you won't get much more than W. Europe in internal anyway, and the rest will necessarily go to the uSD card.

Am curious - what do you mean by "free for all the other stuff"? The firmware isn't even 500MB. Are you also carrying a great many custom POI files, or ??? Apart from voices, there's not much else you can add to your device to try to fill 8GB.
That's more or less the way I do things. Have the Western Europe and or GB map on the device and all the others on the card. The trouble is the many under 100Mb maps that it insists on wedging onto the device. In my experience a full device memory can cause all sorts of issues when it comes to updating.
It really would be much more logical if updates were placed in the original location of the map it is updating.

This is a Facebook conversation I've had with the TomTom page

I have a couple of TomToms with World maps. I have all of the maps loaded neatly on the added 32 Gb SD card, leaving the device memory free for all the other stuff. Why oh why is that every time there are map updates the updated maps are put onto the device, completely filling it's memory and leaving the card relatively empty. Surely this is an issue that could be easily put right by TomTom? Is there a way to do this?

TomTom

Hi Mervyn, sorry for any possible trouble caused. Our maps have become bigger & bigger with every update, & would mostly be too large to fit onto the device memory as compared to the SD card. Please confirm your device name and serial number so that we can check this for you. ^Kunal

You sent
Hi, It isn't the size that is the problem. I want to keep most of the maps on the SD card ,but when I update them they move to the device memory. I like to keep only my local map on the device and the rest on the SD card, but update fills up the device memory by moving anything that fits onto the device memory until it is completely full.

Please confirm your device model. So that we can check this for you. ^Kunal

You sent

I have several models with World maps available. Go 6100, Go 51, Go 510

TomTom

Thank you for the details. Please note if there is space available on the device it will always install the map updates on the device's memory. In case, if there is a small space available, you can download a small map so that other map updates will be installed on the SD card. ^Kunal

You sent​

I am fully aware of this and that is my complaint. It is ridiculous and illogical that it does this. It's something that needs to be looked at and changed. Updated maps should be put in their original location. I'm sure that a relatively small change to the software you use could achieve this.

TomTom​

We do understand your concern. We have shared your feedback with the concerned team. ^Kunal

You sent
Thank you. It's good to know that perhaps this feedback may lead to an improvement. (TIC)

Watch this space

Ask a Question