TTR2 Car Mount

The car mount is a great accessory; I actually use it a great deal more now that winter is starting to creep in. It?s great, that is, when the setup works.

The mount receives power; my TTR2 comes to life when I turn on the ignition and shuts down when I turn the ignition off.

When the TTR2 is in the car kit and the ignition is turned on the TTR2 comes to life and shows ?Connected to hands-free car kit?. But I only get audio about 5% of the time. That is, 5% percent of the time that it get?s turned on. What gives?

I try touching the lower left hand of the screen when you adjust the audio and the voice speaks, but you hear nothing and it shows ?Connecting to headset? every time you press it.

Often times, the only way to get it to work is to power it off and/or remove the TTR2 from the car kit and reseat it back in. But even that did not work for me today no matter how many times I tried.

Is it the TTR2, the car kit or something else I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
I've got a car mount for mine, but rarely does it see service in the car. I've got a One that I use in the car (much lighter and less expensive if something were to happen) so I don't think I can be of much assistance. (unless you would like me to test anything for you.)

I have a similar problem with the car mount. I find that when I slide the unit down the release lever does not click fully into place. Manually pushing it into place works ok though.

I have a similar problem with the car mount. I find that when I slide the unit down the release lever does not click fully into place. Manually pushing it into place works ok though.

Since I purchased the car kit I've had intermittent trouble with it. Most of the time it would work as it is supposed to and other times it would not. Typically the solution was to dismount and remount to the car kit or unplug the 12v adapter and reconnect it. This usually resulted in it functioning properly. It was almost as if the TTR2 was not recognizing that it was docked into the car kit and that it should produce sound via that interface.

My TomTom equipment is fairly new and I took the time the other night to really play with it. The car kit locks into place every time. The contacts are bright, clean and solid on both the car kit and the TTR2.

I removed the car mount from the windshield and plugged it into another power source and I docked the TTR2 and undocked it and I did this over and over again to no avail. I tried changing every setting I could find related to sound, voice, speech, volume etc to no avail. I tried powering the TTR2 on and off and disconnecting the 12v plug and undocking and docking the TTR2 powered on and powered off; every configuration I could think of.

I tried docking the TTR2 to my motorcycle mount and undocking it and docking it to the car kit powered both on and off. I tried playing with the Cardo headset turning it on and off and I tried every possible sequence of things you could do to make this work right in the car kit.

All to no avail.

What used to work (intermittently) now doesn't work at all. Perhaps it was the car kit itself with some kind of short in it but I had no idea whether this was possible.

I keep my TTR2 up to date with the latest software, updates, patches and map changes etc every couple of weeks. So as a last ditch effort I decided to connect my TTR2 to my laptop and update it. It appeared that there were a few big updates released just recently. More than I?ve ever seen before.

After the updates my TTR2 now works in my car kit flawlessly. You can turn it on, off, disconnect and reconnect power, dock and undock. You can dock to the motorcycle then back to car, whatever. It now plays audio every single time it's docked in the car kit.

I consider this very, very strange. My thinking is that it was software based. Perhaps some programming on the TTR2 was intermittent in recognizing the car kit and now after the updates; it recognizes it 100% of the time and sounds beautiful on the car kit.

Watch, three days from now it will become intermittent again and my theory will be out the window. But if that does happen, I might think that it somehow corrects itself after having been connected via USB or the act of connecting it to a PC resolves the problem at least temporarily. But alas, this is speculation on a problem that has not occurred yet.

So, for all intents and purposes, the updates to the TTR2 have seemingly corrected the car kit audio problem of my initial post.

Since I purchased the car kit I've had intermittent trouble with it. Most of the time it would work as it is supposed to and other times it would not. Typically the solution was to dismount and remount to the car kit or unplug the 12v adapter and reconnect it. This usually resulted in it functioning properly. It was almost as if the TTR2 was not recognizing that it was docked into the car kit and that it should produce sound via that interface.

My TomTom equipment is fairly new and I took the time the other night to really play with it. The car kit locks into place every time. The contacts are bright, clean and solid on both the car kit and the TTR2.

I removed the car mount from the windshield and plugged it into another power source and I docked the TTR2 and undocked it and I did this over and over again to no avail. I tried changing every setting I could find related to sound, voice, speech, volume etc to no avail. I tried powering the TTR2 on and off and disconnecting the 12v plug and undocking and docking the TTR2 powered on and powered off; every configuration I could think of.

I tried docking the TTR2 to my motorcycle mount and undocking it and docking it to the car kit powered both on and off. I tried playing with the Cardo headset turning it on and off and I tried every possible sequence of things you could do to make this work right in the car kit.

All to no avail.

What used to work (intermittently) now doesn't work at all. Perhaps it was the car kit itself with some kind of short in it but I had no idea whether this was possible.

I keep my TTR2 up to date with the latest software, updates, patches and map changes etc every couple of weeks. So as a last ditch effort I decided to connect my TTR2 to my laptop and update it. It appeared that there were a few big updates released just recently. More than I?ve ever seen before.

After the updates my TTR2 now works in my car kit flawlessly. You can turn it on, off, disconnect and reconnect power, dock and undock. You can dock to the motorcycle then back to car, whatever. It now plays audio every single time it's docked in the car kit.

I consider this very, very strange. My thinking is that it was software based. Perhaps some programming on the TTR2 was intermittent in recognizing the car kit and now after the updates; it recognizes it 100% of the time and sounds beautiful on the car kit.

Watch, three days from now it will become intermittent again and my theory will be out the window. But if that does happen, I might think that it somehow corrects itself after having been connected via USB or the act of connecting it to a PC resolves the problem at least temporarily. But alas, this is speculation on a problem that has not occurred yet.

So, for all intents and purposes, the updates to the TTR2 have seemingly corrected the car kit audio problem of my initial post.

Crap my car adapter doesn't work
What's gonna happen next?:mad:
bobbychet

Actually, I should add that I have not had any problems since my last post that is, until, I got a phone call while in the car. The TTR2 lit up and annouced the call with the familiar ring and had the button to allow me to answer the call and transfer it to the mobile.

I hit the green button and the little lady that lives inside my TTR2 stopped talking once again.

I turned it off/on, docked and undocked to no avail. I was not able to try synching with my PC so I thought... why not just remove the SD card, power it on and let it see that the card is not there, then put the card back in, reboot and see what happens.

The little lady that lives inside my TTR2 came back to life and started talking again.

Hmmm.

Actually, I should add that I have not had any problems since my last post that is, until, I got a phone call while in the car. The TTR2 lit up and annouced the call with the familiar ring and had the button to allow me to answer the call and transfer it to the mobile.

I hit the green button and the little lady that lives inside my TTR2 stopped talking once again.

I turned it off/on, docked and undocked to no avail. I was not able to try synching with my PC so I thought... why not just remove the SD card, power it on and let it see that the card is not there, then put the card back in, reboot and see what happens.

The little lady that lives inside my TTR2 came back to life and started talking again.

Hmmm.

It seems that the contact pins on the car mount don't stick out enough.
I got into it and raised the PCB alittle with some double face sticky tape.
now she talks
Bobbychet

Try getting a call while docked to your car adapter. See if she stops talking. If so, follow my previous post to get it going again.

Hmmm.

My answer was to turn off bluetooth while using it in the car and it works fine. Before I turned off bluetooth, operation was iffy. My car has handsfree bluetooth built into the audio system.

2/21/2009 I spoke too soon. It has stopped talking to me again. Total frustration!!

Last edited:

Ask a Question