TT!-XLS Text files

AMH

TomTom Model(s)
One XL.S
Hi,
I'm new to TT and have read the manual! Yes!
What has my interest at the moment is the noted ability of my TT to store/read text files?
What I would like to be able to do is copy MicroSoft Word text files from my computer to
the TT and obviously be able to read them at will from the TT.
I'm not clear if this is possible? The manual, for me, is limited on HOW to do this.
Thanks for any advise, AMH

Thanks for any advise, AMH
You have already been told about TXT and HTML. I noted that your subject line talked about XLS, though. Note that any recent copy of Excel has the option to save the results as an HTML file when you do the "Save as". A lot of people miss that choice. If you don't have graphics in your file (just the usual stuff), you should be able to view the results in the TT mini-browser.

Thanks for the info on the excel files. Didn't think 'bout that possibility.
But, I remain unclear on the process to move the appropriate files from
the CPU to the TT.
Do I need to use "home"? and send the files someway there and then
back to my CPU? or can I go direct CPU to TT? And, how?
Note my files are the latest .docx & .xlsx format.
Tnx, AMH

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the excel files. Didn't think 'bout that possibility.
But, I remain unclear on the process to move the appropriate files from
the CPU to the TT.
Do I need to use "home"? and send the files someway there and then
back to my CPU? or can I go direct CPU to TT? And, how?
Note my files are the latest .docx & .xlsx format.
Tnx, AMH
No need to use Home. When you connect your TT to your computer, you can shut Home down with the "X" if you like -- your TT will still appear as a disk drive (two, if you have an SD card installed), and you can look at and copy/delete/fiddle files just as if it were a USB thumb drive. Just click on "My Computer" or its equivalent based upon your OS -- whatever you use to look at the contents of drives -- and you'll see your TT there. Explore it like you would any other drive.

So as the instructions from TT explain, you create your folder called "text" and place your information there. The TT mini-browser manages things like *.GIF files and other formats, so if you have such files associated with the HTML you're putting in there, those will appear as well.

The folder MUST be in the root of either your internal memory or SD card, not placed as a subfolder. The folder MUST be "text" in lower case - forget the quotes, of course.

I didn't read back to be SURE of what model you've got (yikes). I'm hoping it's not one of the lower end models that doesn't have the "Music and Media" function on it. If not, you're toast. But let's assume it does, as is more likely.

From the main navigation screen, press and get to the first menu page.
Blue right arrow (likely once) unitl you see the "Music and Media" selection.
Select "Document Reader". That will access files in the "text" folder where you've placed them.

Little known - the mini-browser will even handle links -- so if you want to create an HTML file that is just an index to other files, you can create links to the other files there and jump around between your HTML files just as you would on a web page.

Hey, great info. Tnx.
BTW, I have an SD card slot and tried putting in one of my SD cards [64mb] to see what happens.
Well, nothing! The TT locked up.

Is there a unique SD card which must be used?

Tnx a bunch for your time and help.

Hey, great info. Tnx.
BTW, I have an SD card slot and tried putting in one of my SD cards [64mb] to see what happens.
Well, nothing! The TT locked up.

Is there a unique SD card which must be used?

Tnx a bunch for your time and help.
It could be that the TomTom just looked at 64MB and thought somebody had inserted a corn flake. OK - just kidding - I'm surprised it didn't work. But I haven't seen a card that small installed before. We're used to dealing with 1GB ~ 32GB cards for maps, music, etc. but I do understand that for your purposes, 64MB might well be plenty for your "text" files.

It is possible that your card isn't properly formatted or isn't completely "clean" in its current formatting. I assume all was OK once you removed the card? Understand that if your TT sees an SD card, it will try to boot the system from the SD card if you have a model that does this (like my 720). It's actually possible to set up and run the whole TT system from SD (but not a 64MB SD!) and never use the internal memory. If your TT got badly lost in an SD card with format issues while trying to do that, that might explain the lock-up.

Do you own an SD card reader for your PC such that you could format the card if we explained that?

Just to make sure we're not getting completely confused here... Is your TT a ONE XL-S model?

If so, using an SD card means you don't have access to internal memory. All ONE models behave this way and you need to copy all your internal memory to your SD card if you hope to use the SD card. The XL-S has 1GB of internal memory so, to be really usefull you need a > 1GB SD card.

Hi again, Canderson, Gilbert and others, and thanks very much for all your time and info.
Thought I would "clear up" some... Here's my system, FYI & ref.

TomTom One XL-S; Purchased: 30 Apr 2009
Device nnnnn nnnnn; App 8.016 (9380/080825) OS: 223986
32-MB RAM (free:2.9-MB); GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5022
Map: ‘USA_and_Canada’ v825.2160; Language: English US

System:
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional; Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB; Available Physical Memory 239.66 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB; Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

I purchased my TT to assist in our [>9Kmiles/4-month] RV trip 'round the U.S.
We left southern Florida 1-June and are presently in Massachusetts; to continue on
to Bar Harbor, ME and then to WA, OR, CA, TX and all the states between before
arriving back in FL in late Sept or Oct.
I am using the itinerary feature and find it to be very good. I find the TT most accurate
when entering more waypoints. The more the better. Locating POI's very easy too.

Anyway, the read text feature I am beginning to think is not supported in my TT?

The SD card usage was a "by-the-way" thing I tried after noting my TT does support it.
I tried a 48mb SD card I used in my Tungsten Palm and, as I mentioned, it "hung" the TT.
It probably is a format issue. It's nothing important. Just thought if it worked I might use it to store some info. It was more a curiosity thing. It is not something needed to justify a lot of time & effort.

After all this great info, I have learned a good deal about my TT and its features thanks to you.

Now.... on to POI vs itinerary. I've got some more learning to do.
I am thinking I will need to use the POI feature recognizing I am going to exceed
the 48 points restriction very soon?

You got some hints?!

Maybe this should be a new thread?

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Its quite simple, with any of the TT One products that have both internal Flash memory AND an SD card slot, when you power the device up it looks to see if there is an SD card inserted, if it finds one it will default to use it now unless all the application files, maps and voices are installed to the SD card it will simply hang.

If you want to mess around with a text file on the device put the file into the internal memory on the unit as it looks like you have plenty of spare storage space - Mike

To AMH:

Don't want to start a new topic in the initial thread but basically you can create Itinerary 1 with 48 points, then Itinerary 2 with the starting point being Itinerary 1's destination, etc.

Anyway, the read text feature I am beginning to think is not supported in my TT?
To quote myself, above ... "I didn't read back to be SURE of what model you've got (yikes)." Turns out we didn't know for sure until now. I do not believe you'll find the menu item to which we referred for your text reading on the ONE XL-S. Sorry about that.
The SD card usage was a "by-the-way" thing I tried after noting my TT does support it.
I tried a 48mb SD card I used in my Tungsten Palm and, as I mentioned, it "hung" the TT.
It probably is a format issue. It's nothing important. Just thought if it worked I might use it to store some info. It was more a curiosity thing. It is not something needed to justify a lot of time & effort.
No, same problem. For your particular model, the TT won't use both internal and SD, it will attempt to use SD only. The SD would have needed to have the full TT system on it, and if you wanted to add anything else beyond that, a 4GB card would probably have done all you needed to do.
Now.... on to POI vs itinerary. I've got some more learning to do.
I am thinking I will need to use the POI feature recognizing I am going to exceed
the 48 points restriction very soon?
You can always create multiple itineraries, up to 48 points for each leg of your trip. So if the first 48 get you from point A to point B, you can create another with another name with 48 to get you from point B to point C. With that approach, there's really no limit. I've set up geocaching runs this same way when it became clear I'd need more than 48 to get the job done.

"Dope slap" time. I just realized that when I read in your first post that you wanted to view Microsoft files, and saw the XLS in your thread title, I put the two together and came up with Excel files. You were trying to tell us that you had a ONE XL-S. Gotta quit reading this stuff when I'm not fully with the program.

Oh well. Hope folks with some of the other models that can benefit happen to read this some day!

Its quite simple, with any of the TT One products that have both internal Flash memory AND an SD card slot, when you power the device up it looks to see if there is an SD card inserted, if it finds one it will default to use it now unless all the application files, maps and voices are installed to the SD card it will simply hang.

If you want to mess around with a text file on the device put the file into the internal memory on the unit as it looks like you have plenty of spare storage space - Mike

H Guys

Just one small thing about SD cards.. they need to have a 10mb/ps read rate otherwise the TomToms dont like it...

Have fun

H Guys

Just one small thing about SD cards.. they need to have a 10mb/ps read rate otherwise the TomToms dont like it...

Have fun
Have always wondered why the table at tomtom.com doesn't specify Class 2 minimum (16mb/s) on the compatibility page. Was just typing to another user about that.

"We recommend that you buy a memory card with the highest available read speed." really isn't a very helpful recommendation. I don't know of anyone who has ever had speed issues with Class 4, and that statement would suggest, since it's available, that a much faster card should be used.

To others: careful, we're talking about megaBITS, not megaBYTES here. Class 2 is a 2 megaBYTE/second device (hence the class name), but is therefore 16 megaBITS/second. Vorlon is effectively saying that a Class 2 card is OK, even a tiny bit of overkill.

Last edited:
Unable to open txt or html files

Hi Folks
I have a TT Go 720 and want to be able to store some documents to it and use the document reader to view them.

I've tried every format I can think of with the smallest amount of info just to try it and while I can copy the files across to the TT ok and see them in the list of documents, when I click on the document nothing happens. I found the sample documents that give First Aid info etc and thought Id be able to look at those to work out the format but when I open one of their html files its not really usable.

Could someone attach a very basic txt file that they know works for me to try.

Thanks

Steve

Ask a Question