TomTom Wont Start

Hey guys. Yesterday I plugged in my TomTom XL to TomTom Hme and it was searching for updates (GPS fix / Traffic etc) but I pulled out the usb cable without ejecting.

Now my TomTom doesn't boot up at all.

I have tried all the reset methods (paper clip).. 15 seconds - 30 seconds.. Hold down power button.. (held it down for more than 5 minutes!) and still nothing.

Plugging in TomTom via usb doesn't work as it is not recongised.

It is 100% charged..

What do you think is wrong with the device? It has been working for over 4 years... and yesterday Bam.. it went...

I have asked TomTom to repair it.. I need to send it in and they will quote me

Please Help me... thanks guys... look forward to your replies.

Saw you also sought help in a UK forum.......

Don't know what to suggest at this point. Normally, holding the power button to reboot the unit is what is suggested but you've said you've done that.......

Are you sure when you hold the power button that it is NOT powering up AND then shutting off?

Saw you also sought help in a UK forum.......

Don't know what to suggest at this point. Normally, holding the power button to reboot the unit is what is suggested but you've said you've done that.......

Are you sure when you hold the power button that it is NOT powering up AND then shutting off?

Hey .. yep I have posted this on nearly every gps site lol...

I am 100% sure it is not turning on and then off... it just does not turn on.. :eek:

It won't. You need the computer to detect the unit's existence and it can't if the unit is effectively dead.

Do you by chance have an AC adapter? I know you said the battery was fully charged but I'm grasping at straws. If it sits charging for a few hours, who knows?

Also, a more drastic solution (but as it is now, it's a brick),

is to take it apart, remove the battery and reconnect the battery after a period of time. If you want to go that route, supermod Mikealder or supermod canderson are experts at battery replacement.

It won't. You need the computer to detect the unit's existence and it can't if the unit is effectively dead.

Do you by chance have an AC adapter? I know you said the battery was fully charged but I'm grasping at straws. If it sits charging for a few hours, who knows?

Also, a more drastic solution (but as it is now, it's a brick),

is to take it apart, remove the battery and reconnect the battery after a period of time. If you want to go that route, supermod Mikealder or supermod canderson are experts at battery replacement.

Hey there. In fact I do have an AC adapter. I will allow it to charge via AC for a few hours and see what happens.
I don't mind taking it apart and putting battery in later.

I heard the battery is difficult to take our as the adhesive used is super strong... do you fellow tomtomforum friends/experts you mention have any guides with pictures?

thanks so much for your help

I hope you get this...

Hi Guy,

Same thing here. You've been all over the web looking for an answer too I see.

It's easy to take apart. All you need is a #9 Torex H (h for hole - It's a security thing) bit. The battery is on a plug and comes out in a snap.

With the charger plugged in I have power to the battery across the red & black leads & read power on the yellow lead too. I ordered a new battery yesterday but I really don't know if it will help.

I do know there are a lot of pi**ed of TomTom "brick" owners out there that's for sure.

Please let me know if you get yours working again.

Harry Slimm

Ask a Question