TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Question

I have recently purchased the RDS-Traffic receiver. I live in the Chicago area as well. I was wondering how well the RDS-Traffic receiver works as well as potential quality stations in the Chicago land area to tune into. I do know that the tomtom will tune into a handful of channels automatically, but I was wondering if a specific channel would be better than another. Is the information it receives from the different channels the same, or is one channel better than another? I have only had it for a day and tried it on the way to work and it seemed to work just ok, I was wondering with other people experience with it how accurate is the traffic information as well??

I have recently purchased the RDS-Traffic receiver. I live in the Chicago area as well. I was wondering how well the RDS-Traffic receiver works as well as potential quality stations in the Chicago land area to tune into. I do know that the tomtom will tune into a handful of channels automatically, but I was wondering if a specific channel would be better than another. Is the information it receives from the different channels the same, or is one channel better than another? I have only had it for a day and tried it on the way to work and it seemed to work just ok, I was wondering with other people experience with it how accurate is the traffic information as well??
I don't know about Chicago, I know for the Toronto Traffic coverage is okay, there are certain dead zones down Hwy403 in Mississauga, and there seems to be certain areas which traffic does not report on the major highways. I have noticed however that all slow traffic conditions show a 1 minute delay (I have yet to see anything other than 1 minute) and nothing about road conditions (slippery, snow falling etc...)

--Phil

Thanks for your response. I do notice after playing around for a couple of days that the traffic is not all that updated in the morning. I do notice more delays in the evening hours of traffic. I have seen so far delays of 15 min, 6 min as well as a min. ha. I am still trying to judge the quality of the results to see if they are different from day to day. I guess that all depends on the radio statoin

Thanks again for responding. I will be sure to post more if I find more.

I have also noticed that if there are 2 or more delays the traffic bar on the side just shows blank, but if there is one it will show on the traffic bar.

Has anyone else seen this?

--Phil

Ask a Question