Tomtom partners with Sony to offer in-dash nav with HD traffic

The last Hire car I tried had the Carminat system fitted, this used an SD card for updates in the same way the older devices you to. Simply pop out the card and use a card reader connected to the PC.

Didn't like th econtrols for the Nav unit as they were all on the center consol, in use I found it rather cumbersome compared to a touch screen device - Mike

I'm sure the removable module has a good amount of brains in it, but in what ratio I doubt we'll ever know.

You can read up on it here.

I'm sure the removable module has a good amount of brains in it...
Yes, I'd say you're right about that. The removable bit (module) holds the battery, so one would have to guess all but the hardware user interface (touch screen / display that is part of the larger Sony entertainment system) is contained in that little bugger.

Guess they were unable to find a way to create screen captures of the unit, even in house. The illustrations in the manual of the screen look like they were done with a point-and-shoot camera at high compression levels.

The module has a usb slot and can plug into your computer for updates.
So the module is (likely) the entire system firmware and data on a flash device of some sort? Like the old days when the ONE ran everything off the SD card?

Correct, as far as I can tell. Without the module inserted, there is absolutely no navigation functionality, no settings, just a black screen asking to insert the module.

Ask a Question