TomTom One XL corruput error - ephem file

I'm going on holiday soon so decided to update my TomTom One XL (Europe). Unfortunately, it's not happening.
When I connect it, Windows asks me if I want to check the disk for errors & fix it.

If I ignore it and continue, TomTom Home opens up but then straight away gives me the error message (which I'll paste at the bottom of this message).

I've now copied all the files from my TomTom apart from the ephem folder which it doesn't seem to like (and no: I don't have an original back-up).

Is there a way to fix this (it's out of warranty) - can I somehow reformat the drive, install new firmware and upload new maps?

A bit of additional information: I have a memory card with maps for Africa on it too. When I insert that, I can do updates with no problem and get no error messages on TomTom Home. However windows still gives me the "disk errors - do you want to scan and fix" message.

Thank you in advance!! :wave:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: J:\ephem\ee_meta.txt
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1938)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 15 May 2011 07:57:54 GMT

Thank you dhn. But none of that resoles the issue. I've already tried / gone through all that (unless I'm blind).

Hence my question about reformatting and reinstalling firmware (not sure where to find that though) and reloading everything I've copied (apart from that ephem folder).

If you have a backup of the map, then you can format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then copy back the map to the unit. Use Explorer.

Next, connect to Home and install the application that will be offered. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon and see if things are ok.

Sadly, does not want to format. I tried to run the full format - and 5 hours later then green progress bar had hardly moved at all (and definitely wasn't going to move anywhere).

I've since tried programmes like Easeus and Eraser - no luck. Gmph....stuck. :confused:

Thank you again. Tried that now and it just says :
"CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives"

and when I connect it to my pc, it just says : You need to format the disk in E: before you can use it.

I'll try and run a full format again. Not even a quick format works.

Ask a Question