TomTom One potention buyer?

Hi everyone. I am new to the site and new to GPS devices.
For those that don't know. TomtomOne is on sale at Toys R Us for $200 (in-store only), and get 20% off at the register. so $160 for a TomTom!!

This got me excited. I might purchase one and test it out. I have read cnet reviews and they were not that good. What are the good/bad things that I need to know about this unit?

Can it be charged in the car?
I drive a Honda Fit and don't want to mount in in the middle of my windshield. I would like to mount it towards the driver side A-pillar window. Is this possible?

I read the update for the new version USA maps for the 2gb SD card. Do I need to do this with the new unit?

Where do I get the updates for maps? Do they cost anything?
Anything else i missed?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT** Just found out these are the maps on this unit.. Good? Bad? What to do when i get it?
MAPS 660.1215
APP 6.501

Last edited:
I think the cnet review rated it poorly because of the POI database. I would have to agree with that as it is a bit out of date, HOWEVER, with the new NavCore 7 firmware that will change.

I think the TT1 is an excellent buy at that price as I own one and am very happy with it.

I think the cnet review rated it poorly because of the POI database. I would have to agree with that as it is a bit out of date, HOWEVER, with the new NavCore 7 firmware that will change.

I think the TT1 is an excellent buy at that price as I own one and am very happy with it.

Where would I go to get an update of maps? Does TT1 come with SD card? On top of this forum I saw that by using a 2gb SD card I can get the current maps somehow....

The v6.60 maps are pretty recent. They should do you for a good while.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to upgrade your maps constantly. It's an expensive game. The basic established parts of cities will be stable. It's in the new suburbs where changes mostly made.

When you start noticing too many errors, then maybe you can consider buying the new map. It's like computer software - use it as long as it does what you need.

The v6.60 maps are pretty recent. They should do you for a good while.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you have to upgrade your maps constantly. It's an expensive game. The basic established parts of cities will be stable. It's in the new suburbs where changes mostly made.

When you start noticing too many errors, then maybe you can consider buying the new map. It's like computer software - use it as long as it does what you need.

Oh I have to purchase the maps? I was not aware of that. I thought it was free from the manufacturer.

I understand that there are 3 versions of the TomTom One. The one that is on sale at Toys R Us is version 1. Which is the better version? I saw on the TomTom's website that version 3 has Free updates on maps.

Ask a Question