Tomtom hardware updates?

Does anyone know what Tomtom plans to release in the next few months or so? I would like to buy a new Tomtom but I really want HD traffic and Live services in a design more like the VIA 1605TM. If anyone has any "insider" information about upcoming Tomtom releases and if HD traffic would be available on newer styled VIA models, I would be grateful to know.

You aren't alone, McFly. I'd LOVE to have a good GO series Live unit with that big Via 1605 resistive technology screen. Haven't heard a peep about one being developed, though. Sorry. No idea why they have never picked up the ball on that one. They could call it the GO Live 1635TM or something!

Or the "Start 1015 White Top Gear Pearl Edition" :rolleyes:

Let's not confuse the issue even further! It's bad enough that this particular model already bridges the Start/Via lines with the naming convention ...

Start 60 in Europe, Via 650 in Australasia, and Via 1605 in North America! I'm pretty sure that this is the first time TomTom has so thoroughly muddled them.

One thing I still prefer in a PND is a resistive touch screen that I can poke with the closed tip of a pen or my gloved finger. The knock on resistive screens has always been brightness and clarity vs. capacitive touch screens (the light from the screen actually comes through an unbelievably thin layer of metal in the touch pad), but the 1605 screen is really outstanding... probably the best execution of a resistive touch screen / LCD combo that I've seen to date. And yeah, did I mention that my old eyeballs really like that higher resolution and bigger fonts? :thumb: Geez, gimme a Live version, please!

Last edited:
Or a GO x50 style click-on one for me please....

With a magnetic mount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah yes, there IS that little detail. I really don't like these integrated mounts. Give me one where the business end can stay on the windshield, dash trim, or wherever. That's one reason I asked for a GO series -- they don't use the crappy mounts.

You aren't alone, McFly. I'd LOVE to have a good GO series Live unit with that big Via 1605 resistive technology screen. Haven't heard a peep about one being developed, though. Sorry. No idea why they have never picked up the ball on that one. They could call it the GO Live 1635TM or something!
Get in line behind me!

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question