TomTom Go950 Switching itself Off

TomTom Model(s)
go950, Onexl
Hi
I have a TomTom go 950 that has started to switchitself off intermittently. The screen shows the "power has disconected" warning and then turns itself off. I have checked and the power cable is ok and plugged in.
I have also noticed that the red charging light doesnt change to green any more.
Im wondering that the internal battery may be due for replacement.
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
Thanks

you will find that having a poor battery causes a number of issues, even if you have a power/charge cable connected. The screen will often draw more almost all the charge power and having a fading battery will mean that the cpu and also the power monitoring circuitry starts to play up. There are several items on this forum and Utube showing how to do a battery replacement. I have had to do this several times with a number of TomToms. The batteries can be bought on eBay for about $10, so not a big investment to Do It Yourself. The only warning is to be very careful removing the old battery not to damage the circuit board. A good Go 950 is a prize possesion compared to the latest TomToms.

Just doing the battery on my wife's TomTom now. Some heat from a hair dryer & sliding an old credit card under the battery does the trick

@Bruser

Does this also happen at home when you are using the PC or mains charging method, whichever it is that you have? If not, the car charger/cable assembly or cig socket is suspect. Whether the power cable is "OK" is still open for debate, but since you say it never does go to green, that does point more heavily at the charging unit than an intermittent cable/connector issue.

If you DO see the same problem on the in-home charger, then I'd point the finger first at the connector in the unit or the battery.

Let us know what you discover.

Hi, I have replaced the battery but it does seem that the USB plug on the mount may be the problem, when connected to a USB charger, if you move the cord, the charge light changes from red to green to red to green etc.
Im still not sure if this is the root cause of the problem, the only way to check is to buy a new mount, but these days it's cheaper to buy a complete new unit.
Cheers Stu

Ask a Question