TomTom choppy /low FPS maps

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQR 2 Traffic (Euro)
Been running ver 1.6 EUROPE for a couple of weeks.

From the YouTube videos /reviews, the maps looked smooth and had good FPS.

However on my iPhone 32GB (4.2.1) the maps /animations are not so smooth and choppy /low FPS in comparison.

Check out the following video for an example of issue:

YouTube - ‪TomTom v.1.6 problems with iPhone 4, low FPS‬‏

I have turned off all POI's, GPS assist, closed all apps and rebooted, reinstalled TomTom app and have also upgraded to ver 1.7 with the same issue.

Is this normal behaviour on ver 1.6 and 1.7? I.e. not smooth?

Hi LMD75

I'm the one who put the video you linked, on YouTube.

If you search the low fps problem in this forum, you'll find my post. As far as I can see, the problem resides in the hi-res maps ("retina" maps). Before 1.6, the maps had "normal" resolution, so FPS were much smoother.

I think that unless we're given the choice to install low or high res maps in the app, there's no solution. Or perhaps a performance patch from TomTom.

As it maintains, I suspect 3gs owners have a smoother gps app then iPhone 4 owners.., go figure!

Regards

Newguru

NewGuru - Many thanks for your response and clarification. The maps ran smoothly for the first time this weekend as I was on a single track road in the middle of nowhere (only one road to display!)

Thanks to Andy_P for the link too.

Same issues in v1.8 :(

As Newguru pointed out, its the retina maps that appears to be slowing things down. What would be nice is to keep the retina menus /on screen information and utilize the non-retina maps.

Ask a Question