Tomtom 710 - cross/circle error

Hi all,

I promise this is my last thread ... for now :- )
As you have probably guessed, I repair things but these are the first batch of TomToms I've had in a while - when they used to be somewhat easier :)

This one in question has the dreaded cross error.
I have read many threads on here but can't seem to fix it.

The SD card reads fine in a card reader. I have tried to copy it over to another SD justincase but same error.

on plugging the tomtom into the comptuer, it reads as 2 removable disks but does not read in the sense, yo ucannot browse (standard insert disk error)

I have tried deleting the files outside of any folder to force an update but that does not work either as tomtom home does not see the tomtom.

Could the SD reader have gone?

Appreciate any help

Thanks in advance

Is it a 2GB SD or smaller? SDHC is not supported by the 710 model.

Otherwise try a blank SD with this file extracted on it. Unless the SD reader is bad, It should power up the tomtom into a state where HOME can see it.

Last edited:
Thanks for both your replies on the two threads -

I have tried the cab and it did not work. My findings are:

1. If the card is out, it has the animation to insert a memory card

2. when you insert the card (in this case the one with the cab file), it thinks about it for about 3 seconds but then changes the animation to the red cross on a SD

It is a 2GB mini sd in an adaptor and is not SDHC.
I also formatted the original 256mb after making an image of it. When I put it in the PC, Home picked it up straight away and even did an update on it. This restored the files I deleted as a test but the 710 failed to pick it up.

I then formatted it, stuck your cab file on it but again, no luck.

Looking like a faulty memory card reader I think? I don't suppose you know where I can source one from? Had a quick look but could not seem to find any - even ebay (uk) did not find any

By the way, I should point out that if I plug in the tomtom via the cradle/usb with the stick inside the tomtom, the computer states the memory card "drive" as it is picked up in my computer needs to be formatted. This leads me further to think the reader has gone

Given I have already stripped the unit and plugged the flex cables back in propely, I don't think its a bad connection

The reason I've been so selective on the cabs is they contain a bootloader file that upgrades the internal tomtom firmware automatically (assuming the tomtom can read the SDs). Upgrades primarily affect the units ability to read newer SD cards.

Try the unzip of the file on the smaller/older 256 as a last ditch attempt.

Most likely it is a bad reader. With 720's selling for $150 refurbished, I don't know how anyone can afford a technician's labor to repair the 710 to the extent that you are working on it.

Just gave the last suggestion a try - same thing, red cross
Safe to say its the reader.

As for the cost/time... I get paid hardly anything for it from them :) This is a hobby job which takes me away from my fulltime job so it gives me something to with a bit of money + knowledge
Normally work with laptops/phones/games consoles so tomtoms are fairly new to me

Thanks again for your help - will have a look around for the reader but may just give it back as beyond economical repair

Ask a Question