TomTom 300 and missing POI category

:confused: Hello all. This seems like a great site and I'm really hoping that someone can help me out.

I have a TomTom 300. I used Home and updated to version 6.52, then I installed the new Us/Canada maps from the cd. Everything worked well with both installations (no error messages).

However, now under the POI categories, I am missing the Store/Shop category and the Company category is blank.

I wrote to TomTom support - and after several communications, they told me that the Store category was not included on the new map, but would be in a future update. I don't have much faith the their helpdesk and I just can't believe that they would eliminate a major category like Stores. Also, I can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem, so I think that the issue might really be on my end.

Has anyone heard of this problem? It is almost pointless to have the new map when I can not navigate where I need to go. I am thinking of just putting the backup on and using the old maps again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!!

Thank you, but.....The download from the TomTom website only includes some national chains. It does not include all of the local stores that were on my old map.

Last edited:
On my original map, there was a category called Stores - which included all local and national stores, grocery stores, retail, etc. When I did the upgrade to 6.52 firmware, the category became Shops, instead of Stores, but still included all of the same pois. When I installed the new map, the entire category is no longer there. It is not just that a couple of the POIs are missing, it is the category itself that is not there.
Is there a custom POI category that would have the same information as my original maps?
I just can't beleive that TomTom would remove this category. Right now, I need to know the address of a store to get there.

calypso, your right in that the Shop POI was removed in the USA/Canada maps. If you do a search in the forum, the same complaint has popped up before.

I do know though if you install the NA maps, the Shop POI does exist in there. Perhaps, upgrading to a 2GB card may be worth it to you.

NOTE: The version of maps I have is 655.1293

Thank you - nice to know that I am not going crazy :)

Ok, I just checked the cd and it does have both US/Canada and NA maps. The US/Canada map was what I had installed and it is version 665.1293.

So, I need to get a new 2 GB SD card and install the NA maps and the application for GO 500 (the cd does not show an application for the 300). Then I should be good to go? Any SD card in particular?

Sorry for being such a noob!

Thanks again.

So, I need to get a new 2 GB SD card and install the NA maps and the application for GO 500 (the cd does not show an application for the 300). Then I should be good to go?

That is a good question as I don't own a GO 300. Perhaps someone who has this unit and upgraded to the NA maps could jump in here.

What I would do is connect your TT300 to the computer and open HOME. Next, place the MAP DVD in your computer. Then in HOME, click on the TomTom CD tab.

When you do that, the list of applications will show. Which ones are you able to install? In other words, which choices are not greyed out?

When I connect my TT1, the only option I have is the 'TomTom application for GO, ONE and RIDER 8.0MB'

Any SD card in particular?

I personally have a 2GB Crucial SD card. Other people are using SanDisk so I guess it's up to you, and what fits in your budget.

hmmm....this gives me an idea ;)

Actually, it just hit me, if/when you decide to buy a 2GB card I would just copy the entire contents of your current 1GB card to your computers hard drive. Then when you recieve your 2GB card, copy the files off the hard drive to the 2GB card. Use it with your TT300 and see if it works ok.

If you can confirm its ok, then you can just use HOME to delete the USA/Canada maps and install the NA maps.

That sounds much easier and that way I'll know that the new SD card works.
Thanks again for the help, digital.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

Ok, I got the 2GB SD card and I am up and running now :) The shops are there as well as companies listed in the company category (which TomTom support told me was empty because they did not have any listing).
I ended up getting a Polaroid SD card, because my local CC was out of the SanDisk, but it worked fine.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Ok, I got the 2GB SD card and I am up and running now :) The shops are there as well as companies listed in the company category (which TomTom support told me was empty because they did not have any listing).
I ended up getting a Polaroid SD card, because my local CC was out of the SanDisk, but it worked fine.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Perfect! I think the TT support was refering to the USA/Canada map's POI, that POI did not have the shop category. The NA maps do as you can attest.

Anyway, great to hear your up and running.

Ask a Question