Time Zone update

I got to make my first trip across a time zone yesterday and noticed the TT1 did not change the displayed time nor the arrival time. Not a big deal, just surprised it doesn't do this.
Any comments?

I got to make my first trip across a time zone yesterday and noticed the TT1 did not change the displayed time nor the arrival time. Not a big deal, just surprised it doesn't do this.
Any comments?

The TT doesn't know anything about time zones, it works only with UTC (calculated from GPS time). You have to set the difference from UTC yourself (set clock option).

My guess is that this is because time-zones are not straight forward. They bear very little relation to geography. They don't follow the zones covered by sunlight as it moves around the Earth (as would be logical), they follow instead political boundaries (which are subject to change). You can have locations that have different 'time-zones' even though they all lie on the same longitude (that's pure craziness!)! Add to this the complication of DST (which also change at the whim of politicians) and you have a very complicated (and changeable) situation.

To be able to compensate for time-zones in the way you are suggesting, all that extra data would have to be built into the map. Currently that is not the case.

I can definitely attest to this. I'm in a different time zone just about every week and have to manually use "set clock" to adjust. A little pain in the butt, but quite easy. :)

Ask a Question