the more i search, the more pissed i get

i do love my unit but the poi's are starting to get to me...there are no liquor stores on the unit, no autozones, stop and shops, shaws,....why are these things not listed...my alpine blackbird had its own liquor category....

There is a custom Shaw's POI under Grocery Stores in the POIs section. Most of what you listed would show up under "Shops" or "Shopping" in the built in POIs, not under their own names.

i do love my unit but the poi's are starting to get to me...there are no liquor stores on the unit, no autozones, stop and shops, shaws,....why are these things not listed...my alpine blackbird had its own liquor category....

I'm a new 720 owner too (had it about a week), and I was as disappointed as you and everyone else about the number of POI's built in to the 720. If you read the forums here, you'll realize that us 720 owners got the shaft on the POI's compared to the 920 owners.

But not to worry, if you search the forums, you can find and download the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files that come standard with the 920 and replace those files in your map directory.....and bam.....about 10 times the poi's you have now.

You may have to delete some items from your 720 to make room for the two files mentioned above, but those POI's are out there my friend!

Here's the link to the thread....more specifically post #64 is where you can get the new .dat files you need. Read the whole thread for all the details. Good luck!https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

Last edited:
Unfortunately, because you didn't pay the premium price, you got the low end of the POIs - just like I did on the XLS. BUT, by adding the .dat files from the tt920, you can rectify that problem.
Just be thankful you got the NA maps, instead of the USA & Canada maps that we're stuck with now because TT has decided in their infinite wisdom to prevent us from buying the NA maps because "that map didn't come on your unit originally".

Unfortunately, because you didn't pay the premium price, you got the low end of the POIs - just like I did on the XLS. BUT, by adding the .dat files from the tt920, you can rectify that problem.
Just be thankful you got the NA maps, instead of the USA & Canada maps that we're stuck with now because TT has decided in their infinite wisdom to prevent us from buying the NA maps because "that map didn't come on your unit originally".
To be entirely fair --

because you didn't pay the premium price, you've got 2GB (720) internal memory instead of 4GB (920), and there isn't any way for the "average" user to fit the 920 list into the 720. It requires a good bit of rip and strip (or an external SD card, which doesn't come as part of the standard package).

To be entirely fair --

because you didn't pay the premium price, you've got 2GB (720) internal memory instead of 4GB (920), and there isn't any way for the "average" user to fit the 920 list into the 720. It requires a good bit of rip and strip (or an external SD card, which doesn't come as part of the standard package).

well we know this...but it should still have important stuff on there like supermarkets, strip clubs, and liquor stores......

just kidding about the strip clubs

Well, all I can say is add them to yours, ensure you share them, and hopefully what comes around, comes around and you will get those updates for other areas as well.
I agree there are many MANY POIs missing - but I also have found POIs that should not be there any longer. And many others that are totally placed wrong because of the way the addressing is done.
The only way around it is to fix what we can fix, and hope that someone out there is fixing their own areas so eventually TT and us BOTH have the same information and when/if we update our maps in the future, the POIs are more concise and better filled out.

There is no excuse for the lack of POI's in ANY tomtom, nor is there any excuse for the inaccuracies of the ones that are there.

My old gps almost never let me down when finding a POI. My tomtom is nowhere near it in this area, and the poi's that it does have are often off by a large amount.

This and the poor maps in my area are a major disappointment. A friend I travel with frequently has a garmin and when using my vehicle I never ever dare praise the tomtom as I usually get razzed when it lets us down.

upgrading the maps and downloading the larger poi files has helped, but not eliminated these problems.

My tomtom is nowhere near it in this area, and the poi's that it does have are often off by a large amount.

Maybe i'm just lucky.....cause i'm not experiencing POI's being to far off track.
Accuracy is "dead on" most of the time.

dgarvey981: "But not to worry, if you search the forums, you can find and download the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files that come standard with the 920 and replace those files in your map directory.....and bam.....about 10 times the poi's you have now." ......... totally solved my issue with less than approiate numbers of POIs [and i'm certain many others took the same action]

Maybe i'm just lucky.....cause i'm not experiencing POI's being to far off track.
Accuracy is "dead on" most of the time.

dgarvey981: "But not to worry, if you search the forums, you can find and download the poi.dat and crpoi.dat files that come standard with the 920 and replace those files in your map directory.....and bam.....about 10 times the poi's you have now." ......... totally solved my issue with less than approiate numbers of POIs [and i'm certain many others took the same action]

i found a weird download that didnt do anything...anyway u can send me those files?

Chaulk it up to TomTom being a European company first, and foremost, I guess. Perhaps once they see that there is a HUGE market over here, and we're really annoyed with the issues with the maps, they'll buckle up and fix these problems.
I know for sure I want speed limits on the roads (should help with the idiotic routing that the TT does some times). And more accurate addressing. Not sure how they're going to go about doing that - but I do know that if TT and Google are in cohoots together, the USA Google Map allows you to edit and update the USA map with your address... It doesn't work for Canada yet - and we've not gotten any answer on Google Maps Google Group about the issue either. But if Google shares that information with TT, perhaps the addressing will get better...?

well we know this...but it should still have important stuff on there like supermarkets, strip clubs, and liquor stores......

just kidding about the strip clubs
It's interesting what comes with ANY of the POI packages with GPS systems and what doesn't. After getting my 720, I started looking at what TT made available and what was available as "3rd party" lists. I think one of the problems is that some large companies just don't have full lists of their store addresses in any one convenient place. Many will offer a "search for nearest stores" option, but unless a person were willing to do 100+ searches and concatenate all of the results, a complete list even in the major metro areas wouldn't be possible.

As an example, it would be nice for me to know where all of the Wells Fargo ATM machines are located, but you can't even get a nationwide list of the banks, much less the free-standing ATM machines. At best, you can look them up "locally".

If more companies were to release easy-to-find full address lists, there is software out here on the web that would reduce those to coordinates for POI files, but ...

Additionally, people fuss about POI accuracy, but often the problem is one of address vs. reality. Since many malls (large malls especially) are served with a single address or addresses that are a good bit off the road and blocks long, it can be hard to get those to help much at all.

Since many malls (large malls especially) are served with a single address or addresses that are a good bit off the road and blocks long, it can be hard to get those to help much at all.

Hmmmmm....... never thought about it, in that way !!

You're probably correct in that thinking.

After Thoughts: since I use both the 1584 & 1609 ........ i've yet to really notice the difference of either. Realistically, I probably only use 1/10000th of the POI's anyhooo. The additional 200MB's are nothing more than a bunch of smaller obscure shops/ect/ect/ect. I've rarely [IF EVER] ever needed to refer to the ONE over the 720 for POIs.

Last edited:

Ask a Question