Text to Speech on 720

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Can one enable text to speech on the GO 720? When I look at the speech perferences, those areas are grayed out. I tried selecting a voice that would offer text to speech, but no go. I have seen speech recognition talked about in this forum, none concerning my question. Any thoughts out there? Thanks in advance.

Trying to use Susan (US) computer generated voice.

That's who I use.

TTHome: Get Maps/voices--press the right arrow and you'll see an icon for Computer voices. Click it and you'll see the choices. Susan is one of them. Select it to install.

Appending onto this thread...which voices available to us on the TT site are computer voices and will work with the text to speech? They don't tell us that I can see.

Appending onto this thread...which voices available to us on the TT site are computer voices and will work with the text to speech? They don't tell us that I can see.

1. Connect your unit to the computer.
2. Start TTHome
3. Click on Add Maps/Voices
4. Hit the more arrow. On the next screen you should see an icon labelled 'Computer Voices'. Click it.
5. You'll see 4 listed.

I installed both Susan and Dave, when I try to change to use either of those voices, my TT 720 shows only one voice installed and thus I cannot use either computer generated voice. Checked settings and use of text to speech is grayed out. Ideas?

I installed both Susan and Dave, when I try to change to use either of those voices, my TT 720 shows only one voice installed and thus I cannot use either computer generated voice. Checked settings and use of text to speech is grayed out. Ideas?

I?m not sure if my thoughts may help because I?m only a newbie myself?

Could it be that you are running the TomTom application software from internal memory, but installed the computer voice to an SD card ?perhaps for space reasons? There seems to be a possibility that the TomTom application software may not find the added computer voice if it?s not located in the same memory area that the TomTom application is actually running from. If this were the case then this could prevent the added voice being seen in the voice menu.

On the other hand, maybe this doesn?t apply to your circumstance! -In which case please ignore my ramblings here!

Cheers
geejay

You say you've installed both Susan & Dave. Using Explorer, can you see in the Loquendo folder, files named Susan and files named Dave?

If so and you still can't scroll to an 'active' S or D in the unit, I'd first try a reset with a paperclip and try again. And, as was suggested by geejay, make sure the Loquendo folder is in the same memory storage area as the map --- either internal or sd card.

If still a no go, I'd try to reinstall via TTHome--Add Maps/Voices--more--Computer Voices.

Got the voices to work, had to do the reset thing. I should have thought of that, so now I know. Thanks everyone.

Ask a Question