start up/shut down images

Hello,

I installed a startup and shut down image. I Can see them on the drive. One is called splash.bmp, the other antitheftw.bmp. I downloaded them off of TomTom Home. Neither one is dispalying on the device itself during the start up or shut down process. The 'help' only shows how to download them, its totally useless for potential problems that may arise. I have a TT ONE 3rd edition. Perhaps someone can provide a good link or two that has troubleshooting or better instructions that I can follow to get the images to display correctly.

Welcome.

The 'w' in antitheftw.bmp signifies it is meant for a wide (4.3") screen. The 3.5" screens use startup and shutdown images without the 'w' in the name.

It is not good enough to rename a file with a 'w' to one without. The size of the file matters.

Your model is a 3.5, I believe, so the anitheftw.bmp wont work.

A link to a splash generator for a tomtom can be found here. Upload the large file and select your model to have it resized.

Finally, to activate the antitheft image on a tomtom, you have to go to Safety Preferences and check 'warn when leaving device in car'.

Sorry.....forgot to address the startup issue.

If the image IS the proper size (3.5"). then the file should be placed in the root of the unit (so should the antitheft.bmp). When you first power on the unit, you should see the image in your startup.bmp. If you do not, then the file probably is NOT in the root of the unit (the root has a bunch of folders and some loose files not in any folder).

If the .bmp is there, try a reset of the unit.

sometime the image you like can be seen muliple times in the start up images or shut down images. Some work and some don't with this same immage. Try different ones.

thanks for the replies. I will follow the advice. You would think some of this information would be available ( in TomTom Home) before downloading the images. A "How To" button or even information about this in the help file one can click on would probably save a few headaches and post topics.

Yeah, but if TomTom ever bothered to explain things properly, sites like this would be out of business! ;)

Hey guys...new to the forum. I was hoping for a little help from all of you that have experience with TomTom's. I downloaded a Toyota splash screen through TomTom Home 2 and it shows that it is in the root of the unit but it just won't work. I deleted it and the original won't work now. It is now the only one I have on there and I didn't change the original name. Any suggestions for me to get the Toyota one to work? If I can't use the Toyota one I'll just use the original one (if I can get it to work!) In case it's needed, I have a Go 730. Thanks for any help!

For your model, you require a startup .bmp for a wide screen. Therefore, the file name should be splashw.bmp and be a size of 480 x 272 pixels. Perhaps you dl the version for the smaller (3.5) screen which is 320 x 240 pixels. It's not good enough to rename a file name to match the screen size, the .bmp itself must be the proper size.

If you are sure you:
  1. Downloaded the proper sized file
  2. It's named properly (with a 'w')
  3. Is located in the root of the unit
  4. Then try a pin reset.

With the device connected to your computer start Windows Explorer, examine the drive letters listed and one of them should have a TomTom logo against it and should be named TomTom, open this with a double click, you are now looking at the root directory of the device, its the highest level you can see.
Listed will be a whole bunch of folders, if you scroll down past these you will find the loose files, these loose files are in the root and you will find the three bmp splash screens - Mike

I found the 'root', and the splash and antitheft images I want are there. However, The antitheft image does appear when I turn off my ONE, the splash image does not appear on power-up. The tomtom.ico image appears. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

EJ

Got it, now.

It was just strange, the shut down image worked right away. But, the startup wouldn't until I did it again.

Thanks, dhn.

EJ

I'll just throw something in here, as I just found my problem was the reverse.

I downloaded and installed (with TT Home) and new Start and Shutdown image.

The startup worked fine, but no shudown image.

There are two shutdown images...one called suspend and the other antitheft. Which one appears depends on if you have the Warn me not to leave iin car ...or what ever it is called is set.

My new image was there, in the root, but the Suspend image was being used on shutdown and not the antitheftimage ( this is the name that the new image was called) I simply changed the name of my image that I wanted to end with to suspend.bmp

Well, you can go here:
Create Your Own Content Guide

and follow the first links. For a 730, name the file antitheftw.bmp and put it in the root of the unit using Explorer AND in safety preferences, check 'warn not to leave device in vehicle'.

Or go here:
Splash screen generator for TomTom

and upload your own image. Select a 720 model. The resulting file naming is the same as I mentioned above.

Ask a Question